Where to buy colorful faux fur

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Where to buy colorful faux fur

Postby jola » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi all,

I've looked around a bit online and prices vary greatly. Any of you have an awesome source for fun colored fur fabric to make boot covers, coats, cover bikes, etc? I'm in the Sacramento Area if you have an actual store you know of. I've looked at Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, Joann's, etc. They don't have the fun colors and won't special order.
jola

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Where to buy colorful faux fur

Postby TT120 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:28 pm

Someone on here mentioned fur blankets as good stock to make stuff out of. Michaels has some cool stuff as well.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Fabric Depot in Portland is a good possibility. watch for weekly sale day
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:31 am

Oh, please don't buy from Hobby Lobby.
Not germane, I realize.

Have you tried etsy and (ugh) ebay?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:54 am

I get most of mine from distinctivefabric.com

They have a great selection, great service, run a monthly coupon and I think they are a burner owned business.

If you need smaller pieces (under 1 yard) they sell those as well on their Etsy site.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:04 pm

I've also used distinctivefabric (not for faux fur, since I'm ethically opposed to it), and had great luck with it. If you ever get into SF, Discount Fabrics on 11th & Howard also has a great selection at great prices (they actually have a great selection of lots of weird materials at really good prices)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:40 pm

There's a Discount Fabric in Berkeley, too. At Ashby and San Pablo, right near 80. Which means you have a chance to drive there, and park your car. There's no lot, but you should be able to find a place nearby. Note: this is a somewhat dodgy area, working its way up to gentrification. Lock your car, keep valuables out of sight.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby kiss-o-matic » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Eric wrote:I've also used distinctivefabric (not for faux fur, since I'm ethically opposed to it), and had great luck with it. If you ever get into SF, Discount Fabrics on 11th & Howard also has a great selection at great prices (they actually have a great selection of lots of weird materials at really good prices)

Another +1 for distinctivefabrics.
I did buy the Faux Fur for a coat for last year which I wore one night and sweat bullets in it.
kiss-o-matic

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:32 pm

I bought a bunch of faux for a coat from Mendels, I was stoked with the fluffiness of the fur. http://mendels.com/home.php

The warm nights last year were kind of a drag after my girlfriend finally made me my dream coat and I too only wore it once.
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby jola » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:11 am

Thanks for all the replies! I may have now decided not to go with faux fur (after wading through the craft and costume thread and getting tons of other ideas!). Distinctive Fabric looks like it'll do for a lot of my needs. And maybe a trip to the bay area is in order.
jola

Postby paulthewookie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 am

My partner and I hit up all the second hand stores and re-purpose faux fur jackets, shirts, skirts, etc that we find. Rip them apart and sew them back together into whatever you want. It's way cheaper than buying new fabric and works awesome for a lot of projects :D Of course if you're making something really big then you need a length of fabric but you can still use these kinds of things for accents or the accessories!
paulthewookie

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:49 am

If you live within potential road-trip range of Los Angeles or New York (or to a lesser degree, San Francisco) I highly suggest planning an expedition. NY and LA have pretty sizable districts aimed at wholesalers (but largely open to anyone) where you can get damned near anything in the fabric department, including the really fun and exotic stuff. San Francisco has a pretty good selection of fun and exotic, though it's largely via a couple different shops in the bay area and not concentrated in any one place per se. In SF, I'm partial to Discount Fabrics (they have locations in Berkeley and on Haight, but IMO the best is their warehouse in SoMa), or Mendel's (which A-RockLeFrench mentioned and linked). Britex has some interesting and exotic stuff, but is usually premium priced.

Depending on the size of your project and how much you're planning to buy, the money you'd save by going to NY or LA may pay for the gas it takes to get there (my gf and I live in SF, and periodically travel to LA just to hit the fabric district).

Ordering online, the best advice I can give is SWATCHES! Ages ago most places would spot you a few free swatches, but I think most places charge a small fee. Don't let that stop you, pay the fee and get some swatches. Despite some really great photography on some of the sites, fabric is something that (to me) you just need to be able to feel. And given the high cost per yard of fur, spending a few dollars on fur swatches will save you a fortune when it comes time to buy the yardage you'll need for your project. Pro tip: when the swatches arrive, keep them in a bag or envelope marked with where you got them - that way, if months later you come up with another project that may use that or a similar material, you'll know exactly where to go to get it. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby kiss-o-matic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:48 pm

jola wrote:Thanks for all the replies! I may have now decided not to go with faux fur (after wading through the craft and costume thread and getting tons of other ideas!). Distinctive Fabric looks like it'll do for a lot of my needs. And maybe a trip to the bay area is in order.

Don't write it off totally. I found a couple of nights in 2012 to be balls cold, and that was with the fur. I know one day that huge ass pimp coat I had made is going to come in handy.
kiss-o-matic

Postby Serin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:47 pm

walk in retail would probably be best as you need to see and feel it to know what you are getting. With that said you should state where you live. If in the East Bay SF you could try Discount fabrics on San Pablo ave in oakland. Every year they have a big sale on fur just for BM. And have a huge selection either way.
Serin

Return to Clothing & Playawear