Dust proofing goggles?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Dust proofing goggles?

Postby HazelRae » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:59 am

I bought some steampunk goggles over amazon because I seam to have lost my former bitchin pair. However, though they are pretty sexy, they are not dust proofed at all. They are basically just plastic/rubber.
Does anyone have a fabric or material that would be the best to glue to the inner lining of the goggles?
Thanks in advance. :)
HazelRae

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Dust proofing goggles?

Postby HazelRae » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:41 am

No one? Really?
HazelRae

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Canoe » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:00 am

It's not ringing a bell.
I could try speculating with regard to various materials, but that may lead to your wanting to hunt me down on the playa. You want materials & application technique that are Playa-Tested©)'( - a proven playa track record.

We just had the Individual Ticket Sale, so people were here and now are doing some running around while planning. May be more responses later.

Try searching eplaya with google.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby AntiM » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:04 am

Most of the time, if you seal up your goggles completely, they fog up inside. There has to be some ventilation. But padding can help with a good fit. Some folks have tried weatherproofing strips, or cut up foam, but the adhesives can cause a skin reaction, especially combined with playa dust. I haven't tried soft leather strips myself, but have heard of it being successful.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby FossaFerox » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:08 pm

To me, making/modifying goggles is about as appealing as making a bullet proof vest and then field testing it by wearing it to a firing range. The stakes are too high and you *really* won't know if it's going to hold up to the temperature, fine particle size, and wind all while remaining comfortable and not fogging up until you get there...
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby burner von braun » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:03 pm

..to follow on with FF's post, I bring some cool goggles and a bandana that work fine up to a point. However, I also carry a ziplock bag in the bottom of my backpack that contains an honest-to-dog industrial style respirator and military goggles for use if conditions get serious. I didn't need to use them last year. YMMV

As to your question, I would start by considering a pliable foam to fill large gaps, and folks have reported good success overall with shoe glue.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:30 pm

I have not tried this myself so don't blame me for your corneal abrasions but maybe some of that adhesive backed felt used for door insulation would work. It would provide a soft on the skin barrier, breath somewhat, & it seems to seal leaky doors against the cold wind pretty well.

But always have a "Plan-B" nearby in case they don't work as well as you hope. Due to the drought many are predicting epic dust storms this year so it makes sense to have a few pairs of goggles. I'm kind of partial to my Cold War era gas mask when it gets really bad, & then I wear something more "fashionable" when the conditions are better.

Just be sure to take your eye protection seriously.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:40 pm

It's been my experience that crap goggles will remain crap goggles. Attempting to retrofit junk always ends up taking lots and lots of time to try and do right, only to have them fail on day two anyways. Best to find something playa-worthy and trick 'em out yourself.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:40 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Due to the drought many are predicting epic dust storms this year...

*Note: Epic dust storms are predicted every year for reasons including, but not limited to: Need for drama, Scare the nubes, It just ain't burningman without epic dust storms, Hiccup in the internet, Indigestion, Indignation, and Kitten on the keys.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby danibel » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Sorry. This topic just made me laugh. Even my super fantastic military dust googles get a bit of dust in them. I mostly use them in bad situations. I wear sunglasses a lot, so sealing just hasn't been a priority.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:53 pm

danibel wrote:... so sealing just hasn't been a priority.

Good thing. It's more of a Canadian thing than a Nevada thing...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby oscillator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Form follows function.

Keep the Steampunk googles parked on your fabulous headgear and get these to deal with the actual dust:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/SCOTT-RECOIL-GOGGLES

They also make version to accommodate spectacles.
oscillator

Postby cow dog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 pm

as a local and deal with dust , work and play 365, end of summer, wrap around sunglasses fine, but for epic conditions, a pair of name brand, O or S motocross, not ski goggles, is what we use, and saline solution, always a hit on the playa in first aid pack
cow dog

Burning Since: 2010

Postby danibel » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:39 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
danibel wrote:... so sealing just hasn't been a priority.

Good thing. It's more of a Canadian thing than a Nevada thing...

Hehe. Sealing... Ceiling. Seeling?
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby BBadger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:43 pm

Yeah, you don't want a really good seal on your goggles. You're not going swimming. You just want something to act as a windshield and provide a breathable screen so dust doesn't smack into your eyes. Fog sucks. I remember when I wasn't riding around and having a breeze blowing on my goggles I was constantly lifting them off my face to help them air out and defog.

Some people bring stuff like gas masks, paintball masks helmets, or other giant stuff. I know that after the first day or so they leave it permanently back at camp. The worst pair of goggles is the pair you don't want to use. That includes goggles that look cool but are obnoxious and uncomfortable.

Really, you don't need super-dooper protection, and usually you won't even want to wear goggles at all. Your body's own anti-dust mechanisms are often enough to get you by. For example, I had forgotten my goggles during some huge dust storm caused by a large burn and squinting and eyelashes were sufficient to make it through the cloud. I just had to remember not to touch my eyes or else I'd get the dust in my eyes which caused them to tear up and cake up. At night I often bring my goggles, but it's so hard to see through them that I just leave them off.

During the day I would actually just wear some wrap-around sunglasses instead of goggles. They block out most of the dust you'll encounter, are comfortable, and provide sun protection, which is more useful than dust protection. If you want to clean them, use some wet wipes, and then manually dry them with a secondary towel so you don't have any drip-stains.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FossaFerox » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:04 pm

My goggles seal nicely, don't let dust in, and don't fog. They're also comfortable as hell. They're military surplus and they do their job well. Most motocross goggles will do the same thing. Sealed doesn't necessarily mean foggy or uncomfortable.

Oh, and for the record I only stopped wearing my full-head gas mask because the rubber started to tear along the base. Apparently Soviet engineers didn't have dancing in mind when they designed and built the thing back in the 60s. Go figure.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:15 am

FossaFerox wrote:My goggles seal nicely, don't let dust in, and don't fog. They're also comfortable as hell. They're military surplus and they do their job well. Most motocross goggles will do the same thing. Sealed doesn't necessarily mean foggy or uncomfortable.

Oh, and for the record I only stopped wearing my full-head gas mask because the rubber started to tear along the base. Apparently Soviet engineers didn't have dancing in mind when they designed and built the thing back in the 60s. Go figure.

Why, I find it hard to believe that the Soviets didn't consider dancing a top priority. They (The Russians) are dancing on the Ukraine as we speak.

Although you won't be swimming on the Playa, I did find that a cheap pair of swim goggles & a bandana worked pretty well as my back up (Plan B) were small & very easy to carry around in my camelbak. They never once fogged up on me but I never wore them while dancing up a sweat either.

When in doubt take a few pairs that you like & see what works. It's hard to be too prepared.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:48 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:They (The Russians) are dancing on the Ukraine as we speak.

The fact that they've been doing it on and off for centuries leads me to believe that they don't need special equipment.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Try to find a sky divers' supply store. They have cool, clear, ventilated, light weight, inexpensive jump goggles. Or a motorcycle supply store like a Harley-Davidson shop...loads of reasonably priced goggles.

And...as stated, use your cool steampunkers for décor...and have the others handy for real need.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to Clothing & Playawear