Deodorant!

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Deodorant!

Postby tamarakay » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:48 pm

Goodness. I wear old spice original scent, just like I do here in Texas. It has never melted, exploded, or turned to goo. I love the way it smells. Like the commercial says, you probably wouldn't be here if your grandfather hadn't worn old spice.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:23 am

You always smell great, TamaraKay! I had no idea you wore Grandpa's deodorant! 8) 8) 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby TT120 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:09 am

Old Spice classic in the red container works for me as well. Doesn't melt and smells great.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby mgb327 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:13 am

TT120 wrote:Old Spice classic in the red container works for me as well. Doesn't melt and smells great.

Ditto, exactly. so non-fume-de-la-frenchie.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby 9ah » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:55 am

I use this on the playa: http://www.deodorantstones.com/
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:25 pm

9ah wrote:I use this on the playa: http://www.deodorantstones.com/

I've been using a similar one since 2003 - Crystal Stick. I use the solid one, and one crystal will last me close to a year. It also has no aluminum salts, so you're not getting that crap into your body. Never had a problem on the playa, and I generally only need to apply it once or twice the whole week - the dust does all the rest of the germ-killing.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby 9ah » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Definitely lasts a long time! I have one in my gear specifically for the burn and other camping types of excursions so it is a great value product.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby delle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:14 am

I find it interesting that I had no problems with my deodorant before this thread showed up.

Then, sure as shit, I had a deodorant debacle in 2013.

One day, mid-week, I entered the NP Shade to my waiting entourage, and dramatically announced my readiness to go, which involved a throwing up of my arms as double exclamation-marks.

Someone - I believe it was Mr. Delle, who ALWAYS has my back, bless his soul - happened to mention "What the hell is that under you arm there?"

HALF the stick of deodorant had adhered itself to my underarm. A big unsightly blob of stinkless. In my flurry and excitement of the moment, apparently my underarms had gone numb, because I didn't feel a thing.

So yeah. I'm going with Ratty's Roll-on next year. (...not really Ratty's. I'll bring my own.)
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby Savannah » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:32 pm

delle wrote:One day, mid-week, I entered the NP Shade to my waiting entourage, and dramatically announced my readiness to go, which involved a throwing up of my arms as double exclamation-marks.

Someone - I believe it was Mr. Delle, who ALWAYS has my back, bless his soul - happened to mention "What the hell is that under you arm there?"

HALF the stick of deodorant had adhered itself to my underarm. A big unsightly blob of stinkless. In my flurry and excitement of the moment, apparently my underarms had gone numb, because I didn't feel a thing.

Hahahaha! Magnificent. :lol:

I just use Secret gel anti-perspirant and various bathing strategies. I try to keep my toiletries (especially lip balm and solid coconut oil) out of direct sun/away from the sunny side of the tent. I don't remember if gel antiperspirant runs outside the container in the heat, but even if it does, it can still be smoothed on with the fingers. Almost any toiletry that could leak, explode or run gets ziplocked before I travel. There are many changes in elevation between here and home. I think my shampoo and one or two other things have popped open once or twice over the years.

Most people smell either good or neutral or even like nothing at all on the playa. The dryness and the dust help.

Despite the fact that most of us are less clean than we are in the default world, I've met only ONE person in the last few years who smelled bad on the playa (they're not on this board, btw). I think it was a combination of abject distaste for hygiene and conspicuously high levels of physical activity. I didn't suffer until I was hugged. Count up how many hugs you get out there in a week, if you're moderately social (and don't mind hugs). Probably several dozen at least.

So, most of us smell fine. Bring some options, but don't be scared.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby delle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:35 am

Savannah wrote:So, most of us smell fine. Bring some options, but don't be scared.

...because no matter what method you use, some of us can smell fear a mile away... and THAT can be a real game changer!
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby Charlie Parker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:28 pm

bring some baking soda. Pour a little in your hand and just a little bit of water. Mix it together until it forms a paste. Rub your hands together and then rub your armpits. You will still sweat, but you won't stink.
"Be the change you wanna see in the world."

"Bears are crazy, Willie. They'll bite your head if you wear steak on it."
Charlie Parker

Postby Thecatman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:51 pm

bump

Charlie Parker wrote:bring some baking soda. Pour a little in your hand and just a little bit of water. Mix it together until it forms a paste. Rub your hands together and then rub your armpits. You will still sweat, but you won't stink.

Stuff works great. Since junior high school I've used plain baking soda. Arm & Hammer, store brand etc.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Eric wrote:I've been using a similar one since 2003 - Crystal Stick. I use the solid one, and one crystal will last me close to a year. It also has no aluminum salts, so you're not getting that crap into your body. Never had a problem on the playa, and I generally only need to apply it once or twice the whole week - the dust does all the rest of the germ-killing.

Whoa. I just saw this, unfortunately months after it was posted, and I feel the need to point-out something: The active ingredient in all of the "crystal" type of deodorants, and the deodorant above in particular, is one of two things:

potassium aluminum sulfate KAl(SO4)2·12H2O
- or -
ammonium aluminum sulfate NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O

Not to rain on anyones parade, but both of these compounds contain MASSIVE amounts of aluminum (the "Al" in the formulas above). Both are in the "salt" forms and both of these salts are quite water-soluble. In fact, since they are basically the only compounds in the product, you are actually exposing yourself to far more than the approxmiately 20% content found in those "evil, chemical" deodorants.

The other thing to be aware of, is the site referenced in Eric's post claims the product is not an anti-perspirant. This is pushing the line of science rather hard. While it is not *technically* an anti-perspirant, it IS an astringent, which has exactly the same physiological effect.

Bottom line: If you are looking for an "aluminum free" deodorant, this is most certainly NOT the stuff to be using. On the other hand, baking soda would be great, as would milk of magnesia, or any of the "chalk-based" substitutes.
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:21 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Bottom line: If you are looking for an "aluminum free" deodorant, this is most certainly NOT the stuff to be using. On the other hand, baking soda would be great, as would milk of magnesia, or any of the "chalk-based" substitutes.

pepto-bismo?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:02 pm

I was unaware of the aluminum in deodorant and that it was an issue. Yikes, I looked at mine and that's what's in it. What's the deal about that?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby maladroit » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Roughly the same deal as the one where people won't eat anything microwaved.
maladroit

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Supposedly the aluminum builds up in the body and can cause...............now what was I saying? :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:25 pm

lollergirl wrote:wear some deodorant, please. i beg of you. there's too much hugging going on for people to be letting themselves get all stank. i've always just brought my usual stuff and it's held up fine.

THIS! You goddammed hippies...Please don't be the stank-ass fucker that rubs up against my 1966 poly elvis collared Jim Morrison sunset on Venice pink white and yellow tri colored buttoned retro relic shirt/God and leaves your threedays without a shower offense to burn with me the remainder of my stay in playaland. Thank you, your consideration is appreciated :mrgreen:
Gunslinger

Postby Christian The Jew » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Gunslinger wrote:Please don't be the stank-ass fucker that rubs up against my 1966 poly elvis collared Jim Morrison sunset on Venice pink white and yellow tri colored buttoned retro relic shirt/God and leaves your threedays without a shower offense to burn with me the remainder of my stay in playaland. Thank you, your consideration is appreciated :mrgreen:

This guy is one stylish bad ass. Just wear goddamn deodorant so you can hug him. I know I will in my 2077 vault-cotton blue and yellow retro-futuristic post-apocalyptic zip up jumpsuit. :mrgreen:
"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." -Revelations 21:6
Christian The Jew

Burning Since: 2014

Postby bluemiragemi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:43 am

Was thinking about this question over the weekend...if it is small, and you have the space, why not just store your deodorant in your cooler with your ice? My plan right now is to do that, in a Ziploc baggie.
~ Em
bluemiragemi

Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Postby thnkfl » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:36 pm

I've found that a splash of cheap vodka in and around the underplaces kills the offending bacteria and leaves me fresh as a spring day...
thnkfl

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Outpost Aught Naught Cipher Nothing

Postby BeeWeeDee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Peppermint Schnapps and being "minty" fresh has some appeal over wasting good vodka on my pits.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.
BeeWeeDee

Postby Jovankat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Doesn't the schnapps get sticky? Isn't it quite sugary?

Actually watered down vodka in a spray bottle is a staple of theatre dressing rooms, it's used as a DIY Fabreeze for sweat stains
'STRAYA DAY: Australian Themed BBQ Party: Tues 2pm to 6pm at The Flamingo Trap
Also the official on playa meet up for Aussies and those that love them.
Jovankat

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: The Flamingo Trap

Postby skippy3k » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:34 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Supposedly the aluminum builds up in the body and can cause...............now what was I saying? :?

I believed this for a long time too. But I just heard that there really isn't any evidence to show that aluminum in deodorant increases risks of cancer and Alzheimer's. Although I did hear this from my friend who is currently battling colon and liver cancer, she obviously isn't a medical professional and I wouldn't presume to be an authority on the topic. This is just more of a "huh....well, what do you know" type of statement.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby BeeWeeDee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm sure Schnapps would be sticky and quite likely attract flies. Creme de Menthe would even be better - sticky, attract flying critters AND be green.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.
BeeWeeDee

Postby dancingfairygirl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Thecatman wrote:bump

Charlie Parker wrote:bring some baking soda. Pour a little in your hand and just a little bit of water. Mix it together until it forms a paste. Rub your hands together and then rub your armpits. You will still sweat, but you won't stink.

Stuff works great. Since junior high school I've used plain baking soda. Arm & Hammer, store brand etc.

I, too, use plain old baking soda. It's cheap, doesn't melt & doesn't contain any nasty chemicals or aluminum and it works like a champ!

You'll still sweat (which is healthy, by the way), but you won't stink!

You can even apply it after you're stinky & the smell disappears like magic!
dancingfairygirl

Camp Name: BeeCharge!

Postby Christian The Jew » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:44 am

dancingfairygirl wrote:
Thecatman wrote:bump

I, too, use plain old baking soda. It's cheap, doesn't melt & doesn't contain any nasty chemicals or aluminum and it works like a champ!

You'll still sweat (which is healthy, by the way), but you won't stink!

You can even apply it after you're stinky & the smell disappears like magic!

Baking Soda added to Burning Man check off list: Check!
"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." -Revelations 21:6
Christian The Jew

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear