Safety Goggles versus Ski Goggles

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Safety Goggles versus Ski Goggles

Postby nycrollas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:32 pm

I was browsing craigslist looking for goggles. One dude was selling his ski goggles for $10. Before he texted me this morning I bought safety goggles from the 99 cent store. Should I still buy the ski goggles?
nycrollas

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Couchsurfing

Re: Safety Goggles versus Ski Goggles

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:38 pm

ive used safety goggles every year ...this year i bought some ski goggles

in the past ive had to heat up the center of a pair of safety goggles and give it a little bend to fit comfortably/seal on my face without pinching/pain around the nose

ski goggles are super comfortable

im still bringing both this year, safety goggles and ski goggles.. but, you might want to wear the safety goggles for an hour or so to decide if you can tolerate them before commiting to using them
Last edited by lemur on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby 9ah » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:39 pm

picture?

I use something like these: Image
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Yes. More than one pair is never a bad idea.

Plus, those clear lab goggles are fairly useless when it comes to keeping dust out of your eyes. The ski goggles might be, too.

Search for the thread on goggles.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Gunslinger » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:28 pm

As stated, lab / safety goggles work, unless it's dusty and then they do a good job of keeping the dust IN.
I ruined a good pair of twin lens ski goggles, yes somehow dust got between the lenses, and would still dust through the fine anti-fog mesh.
Motocross goggles are the best because they can be taken apart and cleaned and are made for dirt, mud, and you guessed it DUST.
They're not .99 cents but are worth every damn cent. And that's my two cents.
Gunslinger

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Get both pairs. It's good to have options. I know people who are very happy with ski goggles.

Mine are G.I. issued Army goggles; Sun/Wind/Dust. One green lense for day, one clear for night. Big viewing area, padding on the face, no vents, and they miraculously don't make me look crossed-eyed.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ZaphodBurner » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Goggles are a legitimate fetish for Burners because if you get the wrong type they're pointless.

For example, the most playa-proof goggles you have are going to be worthless in the daytime if the lenses aren't tinted and you can't get sunglasses on under them. And if the lenses are tinted, they're going to be worthless at night.

The best goggles I've ever had were some GI surplus of the same type that has existed since World War II as mentioned above. They're $12 and they come with different lenses, so, buy two pair; one for day, one for night. Keep them sealed until you need them, and have your $15 sports goggles with you at all times because most of the time they're adequate. Always have spares because the dust gets on the lenses and cleaning them off on the deep playa tends to be abrasive; if you use water or saline to clean them you end up with scuff marks where you tried to scour off the streaks of clay. All of which sucks in a dust storm. So, spare goggles seldom go to waste.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby DoctorIknow » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 pm

I've had so many....I find the "Onion" glasses for cooking the most versatile as they can be folded like regular glasses and put in a shirt pocket. I take them whenever I go out. Especially useful for those mini dust clouds that normally one could avoid with a bike trip around them. If it is serious white out and I'm in camp, the big goggles work. I don't have the following, but they look great and the price is fantastic:
http://www.majorsurplus.com/The-Grunt-Goggle-P14948.aspx

For the very intense white outs, it is great fun to put this one on an go play in the whiteness. I've only seen two others wearing this style in 14 years of going to BM...go figure:
And, as mentioned, the "onion" glasses (available on amazon of course) are the always in the pocket eye protection. They work fine, but can sweat up if hot out, in which case, I lift it out a bit and the moisture will dissipate:
DoctorIknow

Burning Since: 1998

Postby kittyrodriguez » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:34 am

We use welding goggles. If you search "steampunk goggles" many of the goggles they use are welding goggles. Don't buy those. Ridiculously over priced. Go to a local welding/metalworking shop and buy plain ones yourself. $8 and ours came with clear lenses, tinted lenses, and red lenses. And the lenses are easy to change out. They fit close to the face, but if it's not close enough for you you can buy some adhesive foam at a craft store. Bottom line... cheap, adjustable and effective. Plus you can find endless information on how to mod this specific style.
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:21 am

Doc, of course you haven't seen anyone wearing the full face masks. When the weather gets bad enough that the people who have those pull them out visibility is already approaching zero. :p
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:47 pm

I wear glasses so the ski goggles fit over then..

My son rides a motorcycle.. He has some great fitting sun glasses.. They they are padded to keep wind and dirt out.. The name brand is Maxx. He got then at a biker store..
unjonharley

Postby Schtev » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Personally I use tank goggles from military surplus stores. I mean it is pretty much what they were designed for, after all.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Frosty Phoques

Return to Clothing & Playawear