Does the Dust Ruin Clothes?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Does the Dust Ruin Clothes?

Postby Firewidow » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:44 pm

I bought a new corset to wear at Burning Man. A friend of mine that went before said due to the dust, none of her clothes came back the same, and everything had to be washed in vinegar. I don't know if my new corset will survive a wash in vinegar. How bad does the dust ruin your clothing?
Firewidow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Arctica, Ice Nine

Re: Does the Dust Ruin Clothes?

Postby Sham » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:47 pm

You can wash clothes and get them pretty clean. The dust does tend to stick to everything. For the most part, I can tell what clothes I have brought to the playa over the past 10 years. I wear them with pride! :D
Sham

Postby Madgirl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 pm

I've never ruined anything. Then again, I do have a bin full of dedicated BM clothes that don't get worn any other time.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit
Madgirl

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Soaking them in a 5% or so vinegar / water solution before washing seems to help remove the dust.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby danibel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I have never washed any of my clothes in vinegar. The items that have suffered the worst were my tutu's. They seem to attract and hold the dust really well. :roll: All of my "normal" clothes that I wear at burning man have been washed and dried and are no worse for wear. Seriously.

I have a purple corset I have worn out there, and I plan to wear it again. It's a little dusty but not bad. I could probably rinse it in just warm water and it would be fine.

You may want to think twice about bringing some item of clothing that would crush your soul to lose or ruin, but other than that, I wouldn't worry too much.

Boots and shoes seem to become permanently "playafied" but I don't really try to wash them.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:45 pm

All my clothes go directly into the washer, including duffel bags and sneakers. Regular soap and water in a top loading washer. None the worse for the playa after a wash, but I don't bring any hand wash items. All tough fabrics like cotton, nylon, poly fur and outdoor fabrics. No idea on silk, rayon. Things like sleeping bags and wool go to the dry cleaner, so that is an alternative. Leather footwear is a lost cause in my experience. But if you go to parties with burners throughout the year, you can wear them with pride. I've not tried to have any leather clothing items professionally cleaned. Before the cleaners you may be able to blow off some dust with an air compressor nozzle.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby aserendipity » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Of course the playa is foreveron
and wear it with pride !
Aurelia
aserendipity

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:55 pm

I wear some of my favorite suits out there & just dry-clean them normally once I get home. You couldn't tell which ones had been to the playa if I didn't tell you. Same with the majority of my t-shirts, etc (the exceptions being the ones worn multiple years, the combination of repeat visits & dust and sweat caking in the fabric have made them permanent playafied shirts)

Most clothes will be fine, but, like was said, if there's something you really don't want to get wrecked leave it home. It may be just that item that doesn't clean.

Hats & shoes will be permanently dust-caked. Plan accordingly.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby MikeGyver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Last year wasn't that dusty so it might be the only reason, but everything I took you wouldn't notice its even been. I didn't expect my shoes to come clean but it didn't take much effort. As I said though Being as dusty as it is this year it will probably be a completely different story. I say take it anyways wear something you don't mind not getting destroyed the first day and judge weather you want to wear the better stuff off of how bad the first day goes.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby LAbatman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 pm

I just want to barf........you're out in the middle of the desert, yes your clothes (if you so choose to wear them) will get dirty. When did BM turn into a bunch of WHINING YUPPIES????
LAbatman

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: mine

Postby aserendipity » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 pm

speaking of filters !
this may be a pivotal point
Aurelia
aserendipity

Postby gaminwench » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:58 pm

My fabrics get ruined by bike chains, climbing on domes, dancing on MVs and the like;
I add some vinegar to the post-playa wash.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:43 am

Eric wrote:I wear some of my favorite suits out there & just dry-clean them normally once I get home...

Thank you for that Eric, I was beginning to think civilization had abandoned us.

The rest of you, go fucking calculate the molarity of acetic acid necessary to buffer the wily playa alkali.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby AntiM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:26 am

However you'd normally clean your corset according to the label is how you'd clean it post-playa. If handwashing, use a dash of vinegar. My corset was fine, but it wasn't expensive or delicate in the first place.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:00 am

Eric wrote:Hats & shoes will be permanently dust-caked. Plan accordingly.

One tip for your boots, spend 4 days rigging and running rain towers for a movie shoot. Being in the "rain" for 8 to 12 hours a night for 4 days does an amazing job of getting all the playa off of your boots from all the nooks and crannies.

It is also a really suck ass point to discover your advertised water proof boots are not actually water proof. :mrgreen:
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:56 am

It's only a week, but if I were back out there for a month I'd choose boots with sewn welts rather than glue-ups, and slather on the Sno Seal or whatnot every few days.

Bob

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:17 am

While the dust didn't ruin my clothes, all our white socks and pillow cases turned irretrievably orange. No amount of bleach or oxyclean helped. I suspect it was the combination of sunscreen and dust, but this happened to every thing we brought in white fabric.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby kittyrodriguez » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 am

Your corset should be dry cleanable. Do not wash it unless the maker advises you too. While the stays should be coated, there is always the chance that they can begin to rust after being soaked in water.

If this is just a fashion corset, it should be fine. If you tight-lace, it would probably be a bad idea to bring your newest one. Bring one you don't mind never having fit and/or look the same. Also, make sure it isn't directly on your skin. You will sweat into the fabric, and the combination of sweat, oil, and playa can only be ruinous. Wear an undershirt/chemise.
kittyrodriguez

Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:41 am

I've actually noticed no degradation to my clothes from the playa. After the Burn, my wardrobe is as good as before it began.
Bright white, vivid colors, spring fresh scent, even the creases on my Ben Davis's remain true.

As for my roomates' clothes, the ones I borrow........that guy needs some serious laundry help.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby JovReef » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:07 am

Drawingablank wrote:While the dust didn't ruin my clothes, all our white socks and pillow cases turned irretrievably orange. No amount of bleach or oxyclean helped. I suspect it was the combination of sunscreen and dust, but this happened to every thing we brought in white fabric.

Same with me, my white bikini is a nasty color now. Guess its a playa bikini now.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. - Sir Winston Churchill
JovReef

Camp Name: Coon and Friends

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:33 am

White at your own risk, you want something that withstands aggressive huggers.

Bob

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 am

Bob wrote:White at your own risk, you want something that withstands aggressive huggers.

(hm. Maybe Simon would like the armor I"m too fat for...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:09 am

Bob wrote:
Eric wrote:I wear some of my favorite suits out there & just dry-clean them normally once I get home...

Thank you for that Eric, I was beginning to think civilization had abandoned us.

Are you kidding? I dry-clean my suits before I head out there as well. It may be the dustopacalypse, but I'm heading into it looking good, regardless of the fact that I'll be dust-covered in seconds.

I would have made a great Victorian explorer...
(except for the sexual repression parts)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:17 am

Eric wrote:
Bob wrote:

Are you kidding? I dry-clean my suits before I head out there as well. It may be the dustopacalypse, but I'm heading into it looking good, regardless of the fact that I'll be dust-covered in seconds.

I would have made a great Victorian explorer...
(except for the sexual repression parts)

(I'm not sure, but bizarre arrangements with the colonially subjegated might have been okay, if no one ever found out. And when I say "bizarre" I'm talking about interpersonal politics and how that would have played out between people with wildly diffferent amounts of power, not the things that Victorians might have disapproved of.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:19 am

my corset has been just fine after 3 burns.

8)
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby laffingblonde » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:38 am

My sister (who lives near the burn) just called me up and yelled that if I was going to collapse in her bed again after returning from black rock I'd better shower first or else. Apparently there's still dust all over her room from a year ago. I laughed and told her she was welcome for bringing the experience home.

Honestly most of my clothing looks better stained and scorched by the dust. Just remember it never really goes away no matter how much you clean it.
believe it or not every burner from new york doesn't reside in the chity. there's all this green space up north you may've heard about

the burn didn't blow my mind. it reinforced the way i've always lived my life
laffingblonde

Burning Since: 2010

Postby aserendipity » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 am

right on girlfriend !
but come visit me and talk about this NYC thing as only Manhattan counts for that dust
reside at Anat's Love Camp
Aurelia
aserendipity

Postby RedHeaven » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:14 am

Depends on your definition of 'ruined'
I like to call it an added glow ;)
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:02 am

aserendipity wrote:right on girlfriend !
but come visit me and talk about this NYC thing as only Manhattan counts for that dust
reside at Anat's Love Camp
Aurelia

Hi!
I know that camp.
Say hello for me.

I had a green shirt that partially bleached out from the dust.
No other issues.
gyre

Postby Janet Planet » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:58 am

JovReef wrote:Same with me, my white bikini is a nasty color now. Guess its a playa bikini now.

Oh, skid marks. Yeah.
Janet Planet

Camp Name: GranWitches

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear