disco ball shoes

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

disco ball shoes

Postby nielse18 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Last year I got crazy with some old sneakers, plastic sequends, glow fabric paint and a glue gun. The shoes were completely covered and looked amazing. Then I put them on to test them out at the house and realized I had made moop machines as they started to shed as the shoe flexed. Anyone know how to fix this? Super glue maybe? The glue gun just did not do the trick. Maybe gorilla glue? Thanks

And no I did not wear them on the playa
nielse18

Re: disco ball shoes

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:48 pm

I found some material at a fabric store that mimics disco ball mirrors. Little 1/2" shiny squares on a black fabric. Wrap your kicks up with that stuff using some fabric glue, and you shouldn't have to worry about mooping.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Glue gun glue runs the risk of melting in the heat, anyway.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rabbette » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Solution - Sew each and every one of your sequence on very securely.
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby MikeGyver » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:09 pm

Couple layers of clear spray paint might hold it on, but bight also make it less shiney
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Mrpatatomoto wrote:Couple layers of clear spray paint might hold it on, but bight also make it less shiney

If the glue isn't holding it to the fabric, spray paint definitely won't secure it. Barge cement would probably work, but if the backs of the little mirrors are too smooth you might want to sand them lightly. Be careful- the backing is what makes the "mirror" in a lot of pieces!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby bronwyn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:03 am

Probably fabric and gorilla glue would be your safest bet to avoiding moop. Cut out panels for the different sections of your shoes and glue them on. I'd also recommend to see where you need "give" for the shoe bending before gluing on.
bronwyn

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Fusion Valley

Return to Clothing & Playawear