Running shoes?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Running shoes?

Postby scott_k » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Last year I brought running shoes and combat boots. Much to my surprise, the running shoes were the most comfortable option and I wore them 90% of the week. However, I've come to understand that the playa surface was particularly firm last year. If the playa surface is particularly powdery and brittle this year, how will I fare with my high-end running shoes that I wear 7 days a week in the default world?

I'll definitely bring my deteriorating combat boots as a back-up plan, but I'm wondering if I should invest in some high-end 20holes. Please consider that I'm on a very tight budget, and I have flat feet that require me to wear running shoes as often as possible. Also, I'm very prone to athlete's foot, and boots do not help.

However, should the playa surface be soft and powdery, nothing would be more miserable than sinking several inches into the dust with every step

How bad does it really get?
scott_k

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Running shoes?

Postby Jackass » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Playa will put a stop to athlete's foot, at least while you're there. Go barefoot a few hours around camp, playa between your toes feels good. Not much different than baby powder. Medicated?- maybe
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:50 pm

I don't think there is a need for new shoes.

In my experience, the playa is broken up by the weight of vehicles. Then the dust forms dunes. The dunes are easy to see when walking and avoidable. There is the possibility the dune could fill in some deep depression, but there aren't many deep depressions. Others are welcome to chime in with their theories.

I've seen ankle and knee injuries from people loosing control of their bicycles when they hit a dune. So a 10"+ boot would provide more ankle support, but that shifts the torque of a mishap to the knee.

Always possible to decorate, even temporarily, any old comfy shoe into something costumey. I like shoes I can throw in the wash too.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:00 pm

I wear both (and dress shoes as well) depending on what I feel like. You'll be fine in running shoes - however, if you're going to buy new shoes, leave them at home for post burn and wear your current pair to the playa. No worries about breaking in the new ones and you'll have a fresh new pair waiting for you when you get home.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Jesus fuck I can't believe we're even fielding questions like this. Go burn something or blow a goat, for fuck's sake.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby scott_k » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks everyone!

*I realize I used the superlative "most" incorrectly in my initial post. Sorry kids.
scott_k

Burning Since: 2011

Return to Clothing & Playawear