Keen Newport Open Shoes okay for Playa?!?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Keen Newport Open Shoes okay for Playa?!?

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:54 pm

I have the Keens and leave them at home...too much playa "sand" gets in, even with socks. I do wear flips around camp, but when I go out on the playa I'm wearing footwear that completely covers my foot (a decent pair of lowcut hikers will do) along with thin wool socks...or my Frye Motorcycle boots.

But bring a couple of different footwear styles and see what works best for you in different conditions.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby bronwyn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:00 am

My first year I took a pair exactly like those Keens, and by the end of the week I was no longer wearing them at all and had switched entirely to my hiking boots. As others have mentioned, playa gets trapped in there and becomes pretty uncomfortable. Even when I got back from BRC, I tried to clean the caked-in playa out of them, and finally had to give up and chucked them.

This year I'm bringing a pair of Doc Martin's, two old pairs of converse sneakers (one with EL wire on them), and a pair of slip on shoes (to be worn with socks) for quick trips/hanging around camp. Also, smartwool socks. Just sound some awesome ones from Darn Tough Vermont that also look awesome.
bronwyn

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Fusion Valley

Postby danibel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:18 pm

My boyfriend brought a pair of keen knock-offs last year and wore them quite often around camp. He rinsed his feet and lotioned every night and didn't suffer "playa foot." The shoes however, have never regained their initial color even though he has washed them multiple times. I have a pair exactly like his and I didn't take them as I know I need closed toe shoes most of the time. I did wear a pair of flip flops to the portos or around camp once in awhile. I always rinsed and lotioned before "booting up."

I don't use vinegar though. I bring a big bag of lemons and juice one into a wash rag or the rinse bucket. I think it works just as well as vinegar, without the smell. YMMV.

I bring a pair of slip-on canvas vans, black kick ass boots, cowboy boots, and flip flops. I kind of rotate among these depending on what I am doing and my outfit 8)
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:52 pm

THIS.

steel toe too....anything else is just fucking stupid.

seriously.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Straightveg » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:THIS.

steel toe too....anything else is just fucking stupid.

seriously.

these look okay? http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2381-red-wing-shoes/2381-red-wing-womens-8-inch-boot-brown
Black Rock City or Bust Dust!
Straightveg

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Those Red Wings look like great boots, but be aware that playa dust will get into every stitch no matter how much stuff you grease them with.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Any quality brand boots will be glorious on the playa. I have a pair of Danner Desert Acadia that will be making their 6th year appearance and a pair of Danner Linesmen boots coming back for their second year. I wore my linesmen boots almost daily last year and my feet were so gloriously happy in them.

The biggest difference between cheap boots/shoes and good boots/shoes (Danner, Red Wing, Keen, Merrell, etc) is the fact that this level of footwear does not need any break in period. Out of the box and go to town. I got my lineman boots in and wore them the next day for the Dallas Santa rampage, 6 to 8 miles of stomping around downtown Dallas with no issues.

In addition to good footwear, socks will make or break your walking experience. Top of the food chain is merino wool. Your feet will love you for these. They are pricey, but in an environment where your experience is directly related to your ability to move around comfortably, spending the extra money on good socks is a necessary investment. Good socks will make middle of the road footwear a pleasant experience.

I personally love the 5.11 brand socks. These combined with my Danner's and all is good in the world.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Bob wrote:Those Red Wings look like great boots, but be aware that playa dust will get into every stitch no matter how much stuff you grease them with.

Yep. I love my playa patina though. :mrgreen:

Last edited by CapSmashy on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapSmashy

Postby Elliot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:33 pm

I would like to point out that shoes tend to become very stiff as the dust packs into every nook and crannie such as stitches, the pores in fabric, and absolutely everywhere. So I bring several pair. Quality shoes may recover fully after a good washing. (Or buy several $10,99 pairs at Walmart and discard them afterward -- they'll be junk after a few days regardless.)
:D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Elliot wrote:I would like to point out that shoes tend to become very stiff as the dust packs into every nook and crannie such as stitches, the pores in fabric, and absolutely everywhere. So I bring several pair. Quality shoes may recover fully after a good washing. (Or buy several $10,99 pairs at Walmart and discard them afterward -- they'll be junk after a few days regardless.)
:D

Never have had a problem with the Danner's getting stiff. I wore those for 6 shifts on GPE last year.
CapSmashy

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear