Keen Newport Open Shoes okay for Playa?!?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Keen Newport Open Shoes okay for Playa?!?

Postby RxRebel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Hey guys, this is my first year at BM & just wanted to get your opinion wearing open-toe shoes like these around the playa? I wore these to White Sands of NM & I have to say that it was a big pain because sand kept filling up my shoes making it hard & painful to walk around. There are no dunes & is flat at Black Rock City, so thinking that this won't be a problem?? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. I don't wanna have to go out & buy hiking boots!

Thanks!

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/produ ... wport%20h2

RxRebel

Burning Since: 2010

Re: Keen Newport Open Shoes okay for Playa?!?

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Playa foot!
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby RxRebel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Would these be okay if I wore good socks you think?
RxRebel

Postby Jackass » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Buy cowboy boots, paint them gold.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:58 am

There are dunes -- silt & clay, not sand. If you have any questions about going w/ sandals or barefoot, don't. The clay will suck all the moisture out of you.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:31 am

I go barefoot around camp. I have some tough-ass feet though. I would rather go barefoot or wear flip flops than the shoes you're asking about because my first year on playa I had a pair of shoes with a small rip up on the toe and it bothered me to feel my shoe filling up with dust. So now it's either naked feet or shoes/boots without holes or vents
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:32 am

RxRebel wrote:Would these be okay if I wore good socks you think?

Socks will get filthy with dust.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ninja Nemo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:38 am

I wore flip flops for a good portion of the burn last year and didn't have any major problems. That said, my feet were pretty dry by the end of the week. Regardless of if you wear shoes or not, do the vinegar foot-washing that many people recommend. Its a real life saver.
Ninja Nemo

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:56 am

Those sandals trap dust. If you felt confidant going anywhere in bare feet, you wouldn't have asked. So don't. And don't break in new shoes on any vacation. That said, sandals might be okay within about a forty foot radius of your tent.

Don't wash your feet in vinegar unless that's how you make salad dressing. Use clean water, dry off quickly, apply foot lotion, don fresh socks, and put your boots back on.

Bob

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:06 am

I give my feet a daily wash with a vinegar-soaked washcloth, chased by rubbing in a little olive oil. Playa foot salad, as we call it. The salad dressing smell goes away after a few minutes, but it neutralizes the effects of the dust (and then the oil neutralizes the vinegar) and makes my feet feel great. Works great with hands too (if you start to feel a little sting from the playa). This is in addition to the occasional shower and regular washing with soap & water, of course.

That said, personally I wouldn't wear shoes like that on the playa. Get a new pair of shoes for home and demote the old worn-in (and comfy) pair for the playa. Doesn't have to be boots, sneakers work just fine.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby RxRebel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 am

Anyone have success or failure with these shoes particularly though? I have heard both ways - one person on here said that they were great shoes for the playa but most of ya'll seem to think it's a bad idea!! Maybe I can modify the shoes slightly somehow? Maybe I'll just bring sneakers instead...but all i have are skate shoes! Thanks for your advice guys!
RxRebel

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 am

my son wears skate shoes on the playa. If you have a pair that are older but not shredded up they should be fine. Bring a couple of pairs of shoes that way your covered...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:08 am

I've used Crocs and those fancy slip-on sport moccasins around camp and trips to the shitter. Walking around BRC they would collect dust. Try the Goodwill if you want cheap shoes/boots to sacrifice to the playa, along with Gold Bond foot powder and new insoles.

Bob

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:15 am

Try anything you want, but bring a backup.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:31 am

lucky420 wrote:I go barefoot around camp. I have some tough-ass feet though. I would rather go barefoot or wear flip flops than the shoes you're asking about because my first year on playa I had a pair of shoes with a small rip up on the toe and it bothered me to feel my shoe filling up with dust. So now it's either naked feet or shoes/boots without holes or vents

That's what I do--all or nothing.

* Flip-flops for around camp (with a washing and lotioning before more serious footwear, or sleep) or
* Closed boots or shoes.

Cheap flip-flops keep my feet cool & dry & allow the dust back out, which is key (for me). Anything that traps dust--like a sandal, or a snug-fitting "fashion" flip-flop--will mix with sweat, and cause the beginnings of playa foot. This started to happen once under a toe, but luckily I caught it early. Back to cheap, loose flip-flops. I would not (personally) have confidence in socks under sandals. Greater potential for sweat without the greater barrier against dust.

There's definitely a continuum of sensitivity to the dust. If in doubt, just keep your feet clean & covered and sort out your experiments in bareness later.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 am

Spend the money on bulk packs of socks so you have two or three changes per day.

Bob

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:55 am

It's your first year- go with the most basic comfortable shoe you can find (I wear my old Converse hi-tops almost every day- buy a new insole for comfort & your good to go). If you have questions about whether or not a shoe is "okay" or not, it's not (at least not this year). See how your body reacts to the playa, base your judgement for future years off that.

My first year I brought one pair of shoes- some well broken in boots I loved. By the end of the week I was literally cutting slits into them to make them more comfortable, because I was wearing them non-stop. I was stupid. Don't be stupid. A couple pairs of basic shoes, something comfy for around camp & potty trips, done.

You couldn't pay me to wear shoes like those keen's on the playa.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:07 am

Eric wrote:You couldn't pay me to wear shoes like those keen's on the playa.

But in your case isn't as much a fashion thing?
*Ahem* Me neither.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby CaffeineGirl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:34 am

I got a pair of those same shoes, and I plan to wear them around camp and for bike riding. Then again, I take a whole box of various shoes/boots, 'cause I have found my feet need the change, and different shoes work for different things. My other shoes include a pair of uggs knockoffs (worn without socks), beater heavy duty sandals, fancy boots for evening dress up, and work boots. My feet also get the vinegar soak every evening before bed, and several applications of Burts Bees peppermint foot cream, so they have that minty fresh smell for at least a few minutes a day. A pre-playa pedicure helps too.
CaffeineGirl

Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:06 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:You couldn't pay me to wear shoes like those keen's on the playa.

But in your case isn't as much a fashion thing?

you think? Lord I hate ugly shoes...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby brcprincess » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:36 pm

I'd agree on covering up your feet. I wouldn't wear sandals, they'll get filled with dust.

Don't buy expensive new shoes because they will get trashed. I wear an old pair of sneakers around camp, and boots outside camp. The boots are kick ass but my feet sweat like a hooker in church when it gets super hot.
brcprincess

Postby CornMan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm

I wear flip flop sandals the whole time. I dip my feet in an acid bath every so often. It works fine until the last days of the festival when I get drunk and start stamping my feet into the dust when I dance. This year, I'll try to remind myself to wear boots Friday and Saturday nights.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:11 pm

With playa dust, you don't get the same discomfort from friction that you do with sand. The loose playa dust is powdery soft. However, as many have already pointed out, it can still wreak havoc on your skin by drying it out severely. This can happen very quickly, depending on your skin type. You can try the Keens, but I would recommend bringing a backup pair of shoes that cover your feet. Skate shoes are fine. I wore a pair of Vans out there a few years in a row with no problems. You could also head to your local thrift store and see what wacky footwear you can find there.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby nncoco » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:41 pm

I have been to about 8 burns and have really grown to hate dust in that time.

People who say they go bare foot or with open toed shoes could be leading you down a path to a miserable week.

I recommed shoes or boots with heavy soles and socks. The uneven ground will tire out your feet with thin soled shoes or sneakers. I have a pair of burkenstock desert boots that only get used at Burning Man. Desert boots (loose at the top soft leather ankle length) are great because they are cool and protect your feet.

I also wear garden gloves when building camp.
nncoco

Postby CornMan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:01 pm

If you do get new boots, I recommend wearing them for a week at home first to get used the them and break them in. Buy about a dozen pairs of new socks to take to the playa.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby bubbavic » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:28 am

My personal learning from last year, if you wear boots make sure that you wear socks that extend past the tops of the boots. I still have scars from the boot tops sanding away at the skin of my legs mid-calf
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 pm

bubbavic wrote:My personal learning from last year, if you wear boots make sure that you wear socks that extend past the tops of the boots. I still have scars from the boot tops sanding away at the skin of my legs mid-calf

Quite true. Tall socks are great. Cut-off tights can work too, either rolled or used with garters. Without that buffer, dust can get caught on your leg between boot and skin. Even on a clean leg, the boot simply rubbing on playa-dry skin can cause an issue. I cleaned a beginning chafe-mark on each calf and cushioned 'em with neosporin and particularly tenacious bandaids.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby teardropper » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 am

I guess some folks are sensitive to the playa on their feet - the ole playa foot. About half the time I wear my Keens out everywhere. If I remember I might wipe my feet off with wipes and small spray bottle of dilute vinegar. The problem for you, you might be sensitive and not know it till you get the dread Playa Foot. And that wouldn't be good. You might wear 'em and try to keep your feet clean, as described. But I just wear 'em...

I can't tell, are those open toe? Mine are bumper toe, open sides.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby ohCarie » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:34 pm

I agree with most of these posts, especially about bringing spare shoes because YOU NEVER KNOW what's going to float your boat.

I brought solid shoes to keep my feet playa-free my first year, but ended up wearing these really basic flip flops the whole time. Oh and these fleece booties too. NIght time I wore sneakers that hid under my furry boot covers. I have tough feet and clean up in an RV at night. Not everyone is like that. But if you like those kind of sandals and can wear them DAILY, then go for it. I dont see the dust as being as annoying as sand is. It's not abrasive per se.
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony
ohCarie

Camp Name: BDC

Postby illy dilly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:26 pm

RxRebel wrote:Anyone have success or failure with these shoes particularly though? I have heard both ways - one person on here said that they were great shoes for the playa but most of ya'll seem to think it's a bad idea!! Maybe I can modify the shoes slightly somehow? Maybe I'll just bring sneakers instead...but all i have are skate shoes! Thanks for your advice guys!

I had a pair of similar Keens a few year ago. I got them specifically because I thought they would be great for a trip to Mexico, since they're "walking sandals" and all that.
What I found is that they worked really well on the Rain Forest/Pyramid trips and walking around paved areas.
They sucked ass on the beach. With shoes, only a bit of sand gets in. With sandals, sand gets in and then falls out. With the Keens the sand gets in and get stuck. The other thing I didn't particularly like is that even though they are open-ish, they don't breath as much as you would think. I imagine its because the soles are some sort of foam/rubber, not actual leather.
I haven't tried them in BRC, but I can imagine that even though the dust is not sand it would have the same affect. It would get trapped in there and mix with your sweat, which is probably not gonna be pleasant.

EDIT: After taking a closer look, I'm pretty sure I had the exact same ones. I would not recommend for the BRC. I would recommend for someplace that has vegetation, like mountain camping or hiking.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear