Any experiences wearing a SARI on the Playa?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Any experiences wearing a SARI on the Playa?

Postby FeetOfClay » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:33 pm

Just found a gorgeous red beaded sari at the thrift store for $7 and snatched it up, thinking it would be great playawear.

however, after learning how to properly wrap/wear it (thanks youtube!), i am wondering if it will be good to wear out there...ie: would it blow away, un-wrap, or generally become cumbersome if i suddenly want to climb stuff, etc?

i should mention that i was planning to wear it with nothing but a skirt underneath, as it is partly sheer, and i thought that a topless/sheer sari look would be sexy. but this is all the more reason to fear it coming completely unwrapped and falling off...

anyone ever wear a sari on the playa? did it inhibit your movement?
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Re: Any experiences wearing a SARI on the Playa?

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Buy some kilt pins at the fabric store, and secure in a way that makes you happy. And wear Social Underpants. :D (Underwear that you don't mind being seen, just in case).

Saris and sarongs are very popular out there. Skirts, slipdresses, sundresses, kilts, billowy pajama pants, etc. They are very nice for daytime.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ratty » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Search your jewelry for broaches and dress up your 'tied on' garment. The last thing you want to think about on the playa is clothing failure.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby wh..sh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Wearing saree with no blouse underneath is difficult, especially if the material of the saree is chiffon or the flowy kind. I am suspecting your red beaded sari is one of those kind.
Each material works different. Cotton saree is workable without blouse but it loses brownie points for not being sheer.

If you looking at climbing and activities like that, it might be a little cumbersome to handle.
Why not wear the saree for a day and do your chores? See how comfortable you feel walking in it and working in it.

I am planning on bringing cotton saree this year for day time wear. Not sure about night time wear.
My mom has worn saree all her life, she can do pretty much all sort of stunts wearing it. Me? Not so much :|
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Beaded, huh. Check those beads! Make sure they are tightly and well sewn on, and re-sew any that aren't.
Thank you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:45 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Beaded, huh. Check those beads! Make sure they are tightly and well sewn on, and re-sew any that aren't.
Thank you.

This. Finding dust-covered beads in the dust is not easy, and, stooping over to pick them up is even worse. Someone will have to do this, if you let them fall. Slap that sari against the wall a few times and see if anything falls off. Toss it in the dryer for a few minutes and check the lint trap. Seriously, if you can't bring yourself to torture-test it at home, you do not want to bring it to BRC.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby FeetOfClay » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:04 am

Beaded, huh. Check those beads! Make sure they are tightly and well sewn on, and re-sew any that aren't.
Thank you.This. Finding dust-covered beads in the dust is not easy, and, stooping over to pick them up is even worse. Someone will have to do this, if you let them fall. Slap that sari against the wall a few times and see if anything falls off. Toss it in the dryer for a few minutes and check the lint trap. Seriously, if you can't bring yourself to torture-test it at home, you do not want to bring it to BRC.

Good points that I'd not thought of: I DEFINITELY don't want to be MOOPY (especially as a newbie--moopy-newbie-BAD :twisted: )

i will "torture test" all my garments; avoid moop
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby darcitananda » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Assuming your sari isn't mooptastic, I think you will have a great time wearing it. You might like to learn to tie it Kaccha style (fisherman pants like). There are some tutorials on Sari Safari, and also a ton of youtube videos. Here is the link to Sari Safari. http://www.sarisafari.com/howtowear.html

You'll have to experiment a bit if you plan on wearing it without a petticoat, as normally, the pleats get tucked into the petticoat, so for this is yet another reason to learn the kaccha drape. The Tamilian style Pinkosu can also be done petticoat-less.
darcitananda

Postby bluesbob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Sari's are great to wear. Easy to put on and no need to worry about "blowing away". I've found wearing a sari to be cooler on the legs than shorts.

The one drawback to a sari...it's difficult riding a bike with a long flowing one. The shorter ones are better for that.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby tarawashere » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:41 pm

I love wearing a sari on the playa. I tuck it a lot shorter than floor-length so it doesn't drag in the dust. Also, once i get my front and shoulder pleats the way i want them, I safety pin them so the sari can go on&off quickly.
tarawashere

Postby kittyrodriguez » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Sari are easier than you think. If you plan to wear it with the pallu(the end of the sari with the most decorative embroidery) flowing down the back, you can keep it from slipping by pinning it to your waistband in the back. The only difficulty I had last year was bicycling with flowing garments on. My solution... Rubber bands. Keep several with you and you can gather up your skirt in your lap and rubber band it.

Another solution, if you are worried about it unwrapping, is to stitch it. You can find out how online. You can baste the pleating together fairly easily. I took one of mine and made it into a skirt and dupatta(scarf). You can use the pallu part as a dupatta and drape it over your torso. If you are interested in what that looks like google "lehenga choli" and "gopi skirt." Just imagine them without the choli (matching blouse).
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby SquirrelHead » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:31 am

I am planning on doing some tests with mine around the house to find the best way to pin it so I don't end up a shirtcocker out there. I do like the Kaccha sytle pants.....I will have to try that out. Thanks for the info darcitananda!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl
SquirrelHead

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Return to Clothing & Playawear