Man Clothes

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Man Clothes

Postby graidawg » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:22 am

Herring wrote: burner clichés like top hats

what? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my hat is a cliche? but i love my hat but i hate cliches but i love my hat too.
how do I avoid being a cliche? please advise
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:50 am

I've held off posting to this thread because I really had no good advice for the op (truly Drawing A Blank). But on coming across this again have reconsidered and pulled together some thoughts.

1. Stretch your comfort zone a bit - wear stuff you wouldn't even consider in the default world.
2. Let your imagination flow.
3. Always keep physical comfort in mind when selecting clothes for the playa.
4. It has to come from you - no one can tell you what to wear and if you allow yourself the freedom it may surprise you what your inner self wants to wear. (apparently my inner self loves a lace micro mini skirt with garters much to my wife's surprise)

As someone who basically lives in subdued clothes (jeans, tees, and flannel shirts) 51 weeks a year, I use burn week to put my peacock on. Loud and colorful is my thing at the burn, although given my fashion sense it often translates into tacky but who cares.

This means that I spend a lot of time in thrift store women's sections searching for elusive finds like colorful clothes that fit my 6'2" 240 pound frame and learned how to sew due to the general lack of spectacular clothes that fit me.

What this all boils down to is - give a range of stuff a chance. In all honesty I never expected to like wearing skirts or kilts, but ended up wearing the two I brought for most of the week (it kinda felt odd putting jeans on for the ride home). Your thing will probably be something different, but you won't know unless you try.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby flightless » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:03 am

Top hats are cliche but awesome. Breasts are cliche too, but I'm still bringing mine.
flightless

Postby SquirrelHead » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:01 am

Saguache wrote:Wish I could pull this look off, but I don't think I could get away with it.

Maybe this (If I grew some hair)?

Prince always has some awesome outfits. That is a man that truly doesn't give a fuck what people think and just wears what he wants.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:56 am

Herring wrote:Thanks for posting this. My camping (and life) partner can be something of a fuddy-duddy when it comes to dressing up. He's great at conceiving and building art and projects and our camp, but he's just not a performer. He hates what he considers the "look at me" aspect of dressing up, whether it's steampunk or tutus.

Still, he felt bad when he got asked "where's your costume, dude?" so I've been brainstorming.

Tell him not to worry, and when someone asks that he can tell them to fuck off, this is how he expresses himself. (I suggest the line "sorry, I didn't have time to go shopping at Burners-R-Us like the rest of you, I was building a fucking theme camp")

I've said it other places on the board- there is no obligation to "dress up", and some of the best people I've met out there are ones who wear khaki's and t-shirts and have the fashion sense of a middle-aged Midwestern engineer. Hell, the only man ever ended meeting on the playa & dating dressed like that. Personality trumps fashion every time (and this from me, who definitely doesn't dress down)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:07 am

for me it's Formal Wear, or nothing at all...

fuck you, it's magic

more panky, less hanky

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:25 am

Eric wrote:
Herring wrote:Thanks for posting this. My camping (and life) partner can be something of a fuddy-duddy when it comes to dressing up. He's great at conceiving and building art and projects and our camp, but he's just not a performer. He hates what he considers the "look at me" aspect of dressing up, whether it's steampunk or tutus.

Still, he felt bad when he got asked "where's your costume, dude?" so I've been brainstorming.

Tell him not to worry, and when someone asks that he can tell them to fuck off, this is how he expresses himself. (I suggest the line "sorry, I didn't have time to go shopping at Burners-R-Us like the rest of you, I was building a fucking theme camp")

I second this. If someone expresses intolerance to you, at the BURN of all places, consider it a "teachable moment" for them and LEARN 'EM.

If you don't feel like being aggressive, you can explain it patiently until they're squirming. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:for me it's Formal Wear, or nothing at all...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby tamarakay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Do I get a vote on this one?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Love that pic of Yggy, Trilo and Eric. :D

Graidawg, it doesn't matter if something is possibly cliché if you feel good or look good (hopefully both). Clichés start for a reason!
Savannah

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:19 pm

tamarakay wrote:

Do I get a vote on this one?

i'm 6'5 and 155 lbs.

trust me, no one wants to see a concentration camp victim naked...

i'll stick to the tux...

and those three above are as stylish as it gets... :wink:
fuck you, it's magic

more panky, less hanky

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:i'm 6'5 and 155 lbs.

trust me, no one wants to see a concentration camp victim naked...

You've never seen the men I date, have you?

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:38 pm

well that explains the sexy nazi prison guard outfit...
fuck you, it's magic

more panky, less hanky

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:46 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:well that explains the sexy nazi prison guard outfit...

shhhhh! No-one is supposed to know about Jews for .... nevermind...

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:49 pm

no worries.

i have a 3/4 length dark green leather SS Overcoat that is simply TO Die For.

no pun intended...

fuck you, it's magic

more panky, less hanky

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Someone say "dark green leather"? :shock:

My favorite coat is made of that . . .
Savannah

Postby waynerd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Savannah wrote:I imagine it would be hard to break free from default world expectations of what a man should look like after years of training.

Whose style do you admire?
What characters in movies have you wanted to dress like?

I've always wanted to wander the streets in a "Frank" costume and mask (scary rabbit from Donnie Darko). I think however being it's faux fur and a heavy mask I'd last about 2 hours in the heat of the playa before collapsing of exhaustion. Have a few less "warm" ideas but will most likely keep it fairly simple. :)
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!
waynerd

Camp Name: Cameltopia 2014! 8:30 & E

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm

waynerd wrote:
Savannah wrote:I imagine it would be hard to break free from default world expectations of what a man should look like after years of training.

I've always wanted to wander the streets in a "Frank" costume and mask (scary rabbit from Donnie Darko). I think however being it's faux fur and a heavy mask I'd last about 2 hours in the heat of the playa before collapsing of exhaustion. Have a few less "warm" ideas but will most likely keep it fairly simple. :)

Warm ideas work well at night - it can get pretty cold there.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Postby waynerd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
waynerd wrote:

Warm ideas work well at night - it can get pretty cold there.

Good Point! :)
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!
waynerd

Camp Name: Cameltopia 2014! 8:30 & E

Postby hotmess » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Eric wrote:I suggest the line "sorry, I didn't have time to go shopping at Burners-R-Us like the rest of you, I was building a fucking theme camp")

I feel you on that. My playa gear has been a collection of clothing I have re invented on the playa. One word of advise, a good pair of shoes is KEY. I like to where a pair of hiking sneakers I got at easter mountain sport. They are great for days and nights, have great support and protect my feet. May I also suggest wool socks. I have fallen in love with smart wool as they keep my feet dry. I like to wear the short wool socks in the day and then thicker ones at night. What is great about them is you can hang them up over night and they feel dry and clean and ready to go for another day.

Although with all this mentioning of suits and formal wear I think I might have to step it up a notch this year!
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:35 pm

My pointing out this sentence is KEY.
hotmess wrote:One word of advise, a good pair of shoes is KEY.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Saguache » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:My pointing out this sentence is KEY.
hotmess wrote:One word of advise, a good pair of shoes is KEY.

Meh, I spent most of 2010 with nothing on my feet. But I agree a good pair of shoes can make or break your outfit
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Postby moonrise » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:07 am

[/quote]

I've always wanted to wander the streets in a "Frank" costume and mask (scary rabbit from Donnie Darko). I think however being it's faux fur and a heavy mask I'd last about 2 hours in the heat of the playa before collapsing of exhaustion. Have a few less "warm" ideas but will most likely keep it fairly simple. :)[/quote]
Warm ideas work well at night - it can get pretty cold there.[/quote]

Good Point! :)[/quote]

yea, waynerd it gets cooooold at night. I found my shoulders got cold and hands and feet. I beefed up the shoulder areas of my night jacket (stuffed extra filling in and resewed it) or added a vest under a warm jacket. Also, warmer boots/socks, broke out my work gloves, and always bring a hat! The temps drop like a rock if you do an all nighter (I sometimes have to stay up all night if I want to catch the sunrise) Hope this helps!

BTW, Tthe CORE burn night was schweeeeet, because the desert was warm in that entire region for hours and hours....17 regional effigy big burns happening all at once, wow, that was warm, fun treat!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby vargaso » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:03 am

Lots of good suggestions and advice here. I never really dressed up or was into costumes before BM, and my first year I ended up going to Black Rock Boutique camp and got some fun stuff there. Every year since, I'm mostly in a sarong during the day and a workman's jump suit or formal wear at night. Although I have been known to head out in just underwear during the day. That is totally an option for a man of any size and shape.

There are definitely burner costume cliches, steampunk or the faux fur being the biggest ones, probably. But fuck it, it looks fucking great out there. My favorite thing to see are older couples just letting it all hang out. I don't know if I agree with an earlier poster about only the good-looking women going skimpy. Pretty sure I've seen more full-figured and older women with basically nothing on. And it's great.

Anyway, if you're of a utilitarian bent, grab a couple workman's jumpsuits, they're like 30 bucks, and you're good to go. Wander around, have fun, tell anyone who questions your level of participation to fuck right off. They're probably in DPW and are too caught up in their lives being so much better than our vacations, blah blah (you know it's true!, ha!). And yes, Eric, those middle-aged guys in cargo shorts are usually the most fun to talk to, and very likely have brought out some fantastic art/contraption/science project. Tons of super-smart/creative engineer types with no "fashion sense" but lots of creativity in other areas.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby Elliot » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 am

vargaso wrote: And yes, Eric, those middle-aged guys in cargo shorts are usually the most fun to talk to, and very likely have brought out some fantastic art/contraption/science project. Tons of super-smart/creative engineer types with no "fashion sense" but lots of creativity in other areas.

You rang?

I'm vindicated! :lol:

At least I have middle age and boring clothes already. And I'm trying real hard on the cool Stuff.

(And it sounds like I'm fishing for compliments, doesn't it? Well, I am! :mrgreen: )
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Technicians needed! Naked or otherwise. Fix flats only? You're in!

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 am

Hey, at least you have the fashion sense not to be wearing those shorts that hike up in the middle when you walk.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Elliot » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Hey, at least you have the fashion sense not to be wearing those shorts that hike up in the middle when you walk.

The mere thought keeps me in a cold sweat nights long. I hope whoever sees me like that will have the sense of mercy to euthanize me.

Elliot

Postby vargaso » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:59 am

Elliot wrote:
vargaso wrote: And yes, Eric, those middle-aged guys in cargo shorts are usually the most fun to talk to, and very likely have brought out some fantastic art/contraption/science project. Tons of super-smart/creative engineer types with no "fashion sense" but lots of creativity in other areas.

You rang?

I'm vindicated! :lol:

At least I have middle age and boring clothes already. And I'm trying real hard on the cool Stuff.

(And it sounds like I'm fishing for compliments, doesn't it? Well, I am! :mrgreen: )

Hey, I remember that bike from 2009 (or one similar to it), I talked to the owner about it, could have been you! Anyway, you are EXACTLY the type of person I was referring to. For me, those are the core people of BM.

And interestingly, the people who started the whole thing, if you look at pictures of the first few burns, they were basically a bunch of nerds in their late 30s and up, running around in 90s shorts and goofy formal wear. That's the spirit I like.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:11 am

Ironically, the guy behind Elliot is another middle-aged guy with mad skills who makes things (mv, theme camp) for the burn. He, however, has a sparklepony (well, utilitarian sparklepony) worthy wardrobe. We all bring our own mix to the mix...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Elliot » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:35 am

vargaso wrote:...running around in 90s shorts and goofy formal wear.

Naw.... Come on... you mean like top hat and swim trunks? Get outta here. Nobody would do that.

The picture of the trike is from 2008. It looked the same in 2009. I loan it out, of course, but it was my primary transportation those two years.

All right, my ego is all boosted up for the day! :lol:

Elliot

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear