Source for thin/gauze mens shirts?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Source for thin/gauze mens shirts?

Postby late » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 am

Hiya!

I'm looking for thin, maybe gauze, men's button up shirts. Of course, every time I can FIND such lightweight summery items, click "mens" and you get... another 5 pages of tshirts with frickin prints on them grrrrrr lol

Etsy's about USELESS as a non-T wearing male. 23000 results of frickin T's, go ahead, scroll through them and look for anything freak-fashionable, i dare ya!

Yes, I woke up too early and lack patience today. And yes, I DID email etsy yet again asking that they enforce the "t-shirt category" lol

Any tips on lightweight, desert-y, MEN'S clothes?

Thanks muchly!

--Alex
late

Re: Source for thin/gauze mens shirts?

Postby lemur » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 am

shop at a place for traditional clothing of islam or a medical supply place.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:39 am

As a chick, Is it bad that my first thought was International Male?

But seriously, Middle Eastern is the way to go. Some Indian shops might also work.

Linen is good too.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:03 am

If you don't have access to an Indian or ME shop, there are plenty on eBay. I get my salwaar kameez there, and they do offer men's clothes. More tunics than button downs, but with practice, you should be able to find something.

How do you feel about aloha shirts?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lemur » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:19 am

AntiM wrote:
How do you feel about aloha shirts?

motion sick.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby late » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:27 am

Lol I do have quite a few obnoxious Hawaiian shirts, but it's hard to find a place they are obnoxious...in the right way. Survival hiking in canada worked. Burning man? I don't think it's the look I want to portray!
late

Postby wh..sh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 am

Indian clothes and fabrics are made for warm weather. The clothes are usually loose, easy to breathe. The idea is to cover your skin to protect from sunlight.
That's always a good way to go.

My husband has few of these shirts from REI and he loves it
You can use it for travel, hiking, and in any warm weather (There is more details about the shirt on the website)

The REI Sahara Tech long-sleeve shirt features a thoughtful construction that will keep you comfortable while traveling from the desert to the tropics to alpine terrain.
-Lightweight nylon fabric wicks moisture, dries quickly and breathes easily for great comfort; UPF 50+ rating provides excellent protection against harmful ultraviolet rays
-Integrated mesh ventilation at the back yoke and under the arms helps keep you cool while traveling in warm climates
-Cargo-style chest pockets provide ample space for travel essentials; envelope closures with rip-and-stick? tabs keep items secure without the weight of button or snap closures
-Button-close pocket on left sleeve holds small items at the ready
-Shoulder seams are rolled forward to reduce rubbing while wearing a backpack
-Rear locker loop lets you easily hang the shirt up to dry
-Use the cord loop on the left chest pocket to hold your sunglasses when they're not required
-Features a button-close front placket
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:49 pm

I heartily second wh..sh's suggestion: I'm a field biologist and wear REI's long-sleeve shirts (and copycats) almost exclusively in the field. They dry quickly, don't stain easily, and the logo is small and not obnoxious, unlike some other brands. They're also lightweight and don't take much room to pack. They have zippered pockets galore and I cannot praise the mesh ventilation panels enough.

However, they can be very expensive. I usually ask for them for gifts or wait for a sale. But really, five lasted me a month in the Kalahari (dry!) and three were enough for a few weeks in the Amazon (humid!), so one or two as outerwear would be enough for BM, methinks.

Oh, and they make them in women's cuts too.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby late » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:24 pm

I have quite a few of the ventilated, wicking camp shirts, wanted the gauze for more of an "outfit" idea. Most of my camp shirts are in green or ack plaid, fine for hiking but not what I'm looking to for my first BM :)

Thanks all for the tips!

--Alex
late

Postby wh..sh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:27 pm

late wrote:I have quite a few of the ventilated, wicking camp shirts, wanted the gauze for more of an "outfit" idea. Most of my camp shirts are in green or ack plaid, fine for hiking but not what I'm looking to for my first BM :)

Thanks all for the tips!

--Alex

You just have to wear your green/ack plaid shirt with pink tutu (any color) and you are all set :)

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 pm

I want one of those any color pink tutus!

I think...

Edited to add: Oh any color shirt with a pink tutu. I feel foolish. Sorry.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:11 am

late wrote:Lol I do have quite a few obnoxious Hawaiian shirts, but it's hard to find a place they are obnoxious...in the right way. Survival hiking in canada worked. Burning man? I don't think it's the look I want to portray!

Hey, MyLarry wears aloha shirts out there sometimes! Whatcha sayin"? Heheheheeee.

Now I am curious, what is it about a specific "look" you wish to "portray"? What do you want your shirt to say which you cannot say yourself?
AntiM

Postby late » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 am

Lol i'm not all that serious about it/fashion/costume just don't personally want to wear plaid or aloha shirts. Certainly not detracting from any that choose to though! We all have our own tastes and such. Don't be taking any of this as a disparaging remark. (or turning it into one pbbbt)

I just want a gauze shirt to wear over whatever to block the sun.

I DO have a sort of look I try to maintain, not out of any seriousness, I guess you could best call it a personal joke that I don't even completely get most of the time. But it's certainly more fun to me than the default officewear blah!

Proooobably not going to be wearing a tutu, the ms probably wouldn't share :)
late

Postby wh..sh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:05 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I want one of those any color pink tutus!

I think...

:) Here ya go... if you wear it all together, you have the any colour tutu. But to make it any colour "pink" tutu, pink one has to be on the top.
Sorry, that's the rule.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby late » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:09 am

The Great Tower of Tutu!

Now THAT I could get behind! lol a whole costume, feet to neck, of tutu's, I'm liking it!
late

Postby late » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:11 am

@AntiM - Not trying to say anything to anyone, I just like to wear what I like to wear. You do costumes yourself yes? All dress is costume in my opinion, there's my 9-5 costume (easier to LOOK professional than to BE professional!), there's the going-out freakywear.

Not trying to say anything, just having fun when and where I can :)
late

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 am

wh..sh wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I want one of those any color pink tutus!

I think...

:) Here ya go... if you wear it all together, you have the any colour tutu. But to make it any colour "pink" tutu, pink one has to be on the top.
Sorry, that's the rule.

Okay here's the concept. Multi layer tutu with graduating colored fabric on elastic waist, but freely rotating. You can basically rotate like a rolodex and choose which color you want on top. Instant outfit change.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby wh..sh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 am

VultureChow wrote:
wh..sh wrote::) Here ya go... if you wear it all together, you have the any colour tutu. But to make it any colour "pink" tutu, pink one has to be on the top.
Sorry, that's the rule.

Okay here's the concept. Multi layer tutu with graduating colored fabric on elastic waist, but freely rotating. You can basically rotate like a rolodex and choose which color you want on top. Instant outfit change.

I think we might be on to something. Time to draw up some designs?

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:06 pm

pssst, Late, you can find mens' gauze kurta shirts on amazon... 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:06 am

late wrote:@AntiM - Not trying to say anything to anyone, I just like to wear what I like to wear. You do costumes yourself yes? All dress is costume in my opinion, there's my 9-5 costume (easier to LOOK professional than to BE professional!), there's the going-out freakywear.

Not trying to say anything, just having fun when and where I can :)

Yep, asked because now and then folks have a slice of something they wish to convey, and if expressed, "we" can be more helpful. Or more snarky, which is eplaya all over. Mostly I just enjoy the discussion.

LOL, my default wardrobe and my costume wardrobe have quite a bit of overlap. I don't work anymore, so I no longer own most of what used to be a professional work wardrobe, and my old Navy uniforms are long gone. And yes, all clothes are costumes of a sort, but become more confusing at Burning Man, where drab and boring turn out to be simply comfy and immensely practical.
(I'm wearing a purple muumuu right now)
AntiM

Return to Clothing & Playawear