RGB LED Suspenders

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

RGB LED Suspenders

Postby waxpraxis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:15 pm

I totally forgot to post this when I made this a couple of weeks back for the DC burners Naughty Snowball 3 (which was AWESOME!)

They are just work suspenders covered in what JoAnne's called "sherpa wool". Underneath the fuzzy stuff are two 1/2m strips of RGB LEDs. The little pack on the back holds an Arduino and the battery pack. You can check it out a video of it in action here:

waxpraxis

Re: RGB LED Suspenders

Postby maryanimal » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Those are awesome. You said you make them??
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby waxpraxis » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:21 am

Yep. Inside the backpack is an Arduino Uno and a battery pack. Hot glued to the suspenders (before the wool was put on) are LPD8806 RGB LED strips (I got mine from adafruit.com). I just took a 1m strip and cut it in two and wired the two together in parallel. The code is a modifed version of the AdvancedLEDBelt example that AdaFruit provides. I just changed some of the effects, slowed it down a bunch, and dialed down the brightness.
waxpraxis

Postby maryanimal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:49 pm

How much does it cost to make? I'm interested in possibly making a set for myself. Feel free to pm me if you wish with the details!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby waxpraxis » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:28 am

It really depends on where you buy all the parts. The easiest, though most expensive route would be to get AdaFruit's LED belt kit ($60) - http://www.adafruit.com/products/332

The suspenders were $10 and I think the "wool" cost me around the same.

Then you'd have to slice the LED strip in half and rewire it like I have. You can get additional 4-pin JST connectors from adafruit as well, you'll just need to wire up a Y-splitter.
waxpraxis

Postby Andrewh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:57 pm

I got my LPD8806 digital RGB LED strips for 117 bucks, it is exact same as you find from adafruit.com, but they only sold by spool, not by meter.
Andrewh

Burning Since: 2009

Postby kiss-o-matic » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Sweet. Looks like someone w/ dick fingers (me) could even make a pair.
kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Postby dijon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:57 am

Hi Branden would you please share your modified code? I'm trying to do modify advancedledbeltkit to do simple things like slowing it down and replacing colors also. Probably making a vest, maybe shoes! Thanks for the inspiration. These strips are amazing.
dijon

Camp Name: Blue Oasis

Postby kiss-o-matic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Not sure if you're checking this thread,waxpraxis, but in case you are:

1 )What adhesive did you use to apply the LED strip(s) to the suspenders? Did you check to make sure it can withstand the heat? All I've been able to find is that some adhesives will become unsticky "if it gets fucking hot". Last I checked, the desert qualifies as fucking hot.

2) How did you make the Y-splitter? Do you just split the wires in the ribbon thing that (usually) attaches to the PCB?
kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Postby darcitananda » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 am

those are so badass!
darcitananda

Return to Clothing & Playawear