So, you want to be sound reactive...

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby waxpraxis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 am

My first foray into the world of illuminated costumery/crafting came about because I saw some sound reactive EL wire at a regional burn and was absolutely entranced. Since then I've built sound reactive EL disco suit and butterfly wings. Now though, I'm wandering into the world of LEDs and I can't just rely on pre-built inverters with cool features like sound reactivity built in.

Enter this awesome tutorial on making a "wearable light organ"!

My first test of the idea was for a friends costume for a burner party this weekend. He's going as "Rudolf the Red Nosed Ravedeer" and of course, REQUIRES a sound reactive red nose! Being that the event is this weekend I didn't have time to order online, but you can get all the parts from RadioShack for about $15.

Here's the circuit:
Image

And the final result (it's stuffed inside a plastic "ball-pit" ball):
Image

And here it is in action.

If anyone is interested in making something similar for themselves and wants some assistance just let me know. I'm still quite new as an electronic hobbyist, so the mistakes (and mild burns) are still fresh!
User avatar
waxpraxis
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:45 am

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:17 am

Nice work! Eagle schematic in .pdf? :D
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Nice. I wonder if there is an easy way to diffuse the light from those - it would make rudolphs nose look much better.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
User avatar
Drawingablank
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: NY
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby bigdane » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:06 pm

dude this is awesome! and the Blitter Bike is crackalackin!! Question??>> is this a big startup investment sorta hobby??? I have a lotta basic necessities I have to gather for my first burn but I'm real intriqued!!!!
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
User avatar
bigdane
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere west of my cerebral cortex
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:13 pm

bigdane wrote:dude this is awesome! and the Blitter Bike is crackalackin!! Question??>> is this a big startup investment sorta hobby??? I have a lotta basic necessities I have to gather for my first burn but I'm real intriqued!!!!


LEDs these days are dirt cheap.. around $0.03/ea when you buy them in bulk.. and SO EASY to work with! Really. If you can change a tire on a car, you can create some LED projects.

For an example, last year I made this without any previous LED experience:



Here's the thread on that: viewtopic.php?t=38955
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby bigdane » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:32 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
bigdane wrote:dude this is awesome! and the Blitter Bike is crackalackin!! Question??>> is this a big startup investment sorta hobby??? I have a lotta basic necessities I have to gather for my first burn but I'm real intriqued!!!!


LEDs these days are dirt cheap.. around $0.03/ea when you buy them in bulk.. and SO EASY to work with! Really. If you can change a tire on a car, you can create some LED projects.


...a tire on a car???...ummm...I know how to make fudge and bacon jam...I have to learn to change a tire too????
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
User avatar
bigdane
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere west of my cerebral cortex
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby wh..sh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:53 pm

junglesmacks wrote:LEDs these days are dirt cheap.. around $0.03/ea when you buy them in bulk.. and SO EASY to work with! Really. If you can change a tire on a car, you can create some LED projects.

For an example, last year I made this without any previous LED experience:

Here's the thread on that: viewtopic.php?t=38955


Damn you! Quit inspiring me!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm

bigdane wrote:...a tire on a car???...ummm...I know how to make fudge and bacon jam...I have to learn to change a tire too????


I'll revise my initial response to add fudge and bacon jam making skills too.. :wink:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby waxpraxis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:48 am

Regarding diffusion, I was originally going to diffuse it a bit more by wrapping the LEDs in foam tape, but as it is it makes the nose look like it has nostrils, which I really dig! In person the ball does glow quite brightly when it's fully triggered.

The blitter bike is coming along well. Now that I have the strips I'm very slowly starting to build the wiring harness. This is the truly shit work of the project. I need to strip, tin, and crimp 256 wires, install 64 connectors, and that doesn't count my power harness!

Getting into this stuff is pretty cheap. LEDs are not expensive and you can get an OK soldering iron from Radio Shack for $15. If you're just learning things I'm a huge fan of Make Magazine's products - they have oodles of kits and books for picking up electronics as a hobby.
User avatar
waxpraxis
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:45 am

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby VultureChow » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:50 pm

wh..sh wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:LEDs these days are dirt cheap.. around $0.03/ea when you buy them in bulk.. and SO EASY to work with! Really. If you can change a tire on a car, you can create some LED projects.

For an example, last year I made this without any previous LED experience:

Here's the thread on that: viewtopic.php?t=38955


Damn you! Quit inspiring me!


Now that I think about it, an LED coat with an animated flying eagle like the one on the Anheuser Busch sign in Newark would be awesome. If they could do a giant one thirty years ago, a small LED one today should be no problem. Right?

Also, everything else on God's green earth is available on the internet, why can I not find a video of the sign?!
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby wh..sh » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:31 pm

VultureChow wrote:
wh..sh wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:LEDs these days are dirt cheap.. around $0.03/ea when you buy them in bulk.. and SO EASY to work with! Really. If you can change a tire on a car, you can create some LED projects.

For an example, last year I made this without any previous LED experience:

Here's the thread on that: viewtopic.php?t=38955


Damn you! Quit inspiring me!


Now that I think about it, an LED coat with an animated flying eagle like the one on the Anheuser Busch sign in Newark would be awesome. If they could do a giant one thirty years ago, a small LED one today should be no problem. Right?

Also, everything else on God's green earth is available on the internet, why can I not find a video of the sign?!


Only thing I could find was this
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby tamarakay » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:04 pm

The best part of junglesmack's video is his giggle lol
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token


http://www.dyewithdignity.com
User avatar
tamarakay
 
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:27 pm
Location: Texas
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby bigdane » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:15 pm

tamarakay wrote:The best part of junglesmack's video is his giggle lol


truly my favorite part too...he denies there is any dancing going on but by my definition I think its safe to say that he is "dancing"..
of course all my attempts to get on DWTS was rejected so what do I know... :roll:
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
User avatar
bigdane
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere west of my cerebral cortex
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby Marscrumbs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:31 pm

I love people that make stuff you can't just get off the shelf.
User avatar
Marscrumbs
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:45 pm
Location: Bishop Ca

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby stinkyfoot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:21 pm

tamarakay wrote:The best part of junglesmack's video is his giggle lol


That giggle is clearly the beginnings of a full-on mad scientist laugh. It expresses the complete euphoria of having created something because you could and because it's awesome.
stinkyfoot
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby 5280MeV » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Hey, I'm doing sound reaction too - I ended up getting the day off from work today and spent it putting together this guy that I got as an $8 kit:

first_circuit.jpg


I bought two of these to practice soldering on, I think that it is supposed to light up when you talk, but it actually stays on all the time and dims slightly when you set the trim all the way to one side and yell in the microphone.

Only two burns from deciding it would be a good idea to remove the small tip about 1 minute after turning the iron off... oops.

Maybe I can make the next one work correctly. The thing is only 2" x 1.5", and the part of the circuit delivering power to the LEDs is pretty simple, you should be able to take the LEDs out and drive whatever you want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image
User avatar
5280MeV
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:32 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:05 pm

stinkyfoot wrote:
tamarakay wrote:The best part of junglesmack's video is his giggle lol


That giggle is clearly the beginnings of a full-on mad scientist laugh. It expresses the complete euphoria of having created something because you could and because it's awesome.



I just read all of these comments now :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah.. there really is no feeling like making something just.. nuts.. and being able to play with it again and again..



GO BIG!!!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent


Return to Clothing & Playawear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests