So, you want to be sound reactive...

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby waxpraxis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 am

My first foray into the world of illuminated costumery/crafting came about because I saw some sound reactive EL wire at a regional burn and was absolutely entranced. Since then I've built sound reactive EL disco suit and butterfly wings. Now though, I'm wandering into the world of LEDs and I can't just rely on pre-built inverters with cool features like sound reactivity built in.

Enter this awesome tutorial on making a "wearable light organ"!

My first test of the idea was for a friends costume for a burner party this weekend. He's going as "Rudolf the Red Nosed Ravedeer" and of course, REQUIRES a sound reactive red nose! Being that the event is this weekend I didn't have time to order online, but you can get all the parts from RadioShack for about $15.

Here's the circuit:

And the final result (it's stuffed inside a plastic "ball-pit" ball):

And here it is in action.

If anyone is interested in making something similar for themselves and wants some assistance just let me know. I'm still quite new as an electronic hobbyist, so the mistakes (and mild burns) are still fresh!
waxpraxis

Re: So, you want to be sound reactive...

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:17 am

Nice work! Eagle schematic in .pdf? :D
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Nice. I wonder if there is an easy way to diffuse the light from those - it would make rudolphs nose look much better.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby bigdane » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:06 pm

dude this is awesome! and the Blitter Bike is crackalackin!! Question??>> is this a big startup investment sorta hobby??? I have a lotta basic necessities I have to gather for my first burn but I'm real intriqued!!!!
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:13 pm

bigdane wrote:dude this is awesome! and the Blitter Bike is crackalackin!! Question??>> is this a big startup investment sorta hobby??? I have a lotta basic necessities I have to gather for my first burn but I'm real intriqued!!!!

LEDs these days are dirt cheap.. around $0.03/ea when you buy them in bulk.. and SO EASY to work with! Really. If you can change a tire on a car, you can create some LED projects.

For an example, last year I made this without any previous LED experience:

Here's the thread on that: viewtopic.php?t=38955
junglesmacks

Postby bigdane » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:32 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
bigdane wrote:dude this is awesome! and the Blitter Bike is crackalackin!! Question??>> is this a big startup investment sorta hobby??? I have a lotta basic necessities I have to gather for my first burn but I'm real intriqued!!!!

LEDs these days are dirt cheap.. around $0.03/ea when you buy them in bulk.. and SO EASY to work with! Really. If you can change a tire on a car, you can create some LED projects.

...a tire on a car???...ummm...I know how to make fudge and bacon jam...I have to learn to change a tire too????
bigdane

Postby wh..sh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:53 pm

junglesmacks wrote:LEDs these days are dirt cheap.. around $0.03/ea when you buy them in bulk.. and SO EASY to work with! Really. If you can change a tire on a car, you can create some LED projects.

Damn you! Quit inspiring me!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm

bigdane wrote:...a tire on a car???...ummm...I know how to make fudge and bacon jam...I have to learn to change a tire too????

I'll revise my initial response to add fudge and bacon jam making skills too.. :wink:
junglesmacks

Postby waxpraxis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:48 am

Regarding diffusion, I was originally going to diffuse it a bit more by wrapping the LEDs in foam tape, but as it is it makes the nose look like it has nostrils, which I really dig! In person the ball does glow quite brightly when it's fully triggered.

The blitter bike is coming along well. Now that I have the strips I'm very slowly starting to build the wiring harness. This is the truly shit work of the project. I need to strip, tin, and crimp 256 wires, install 64 connectors, and that doesn't count my power harness!

Getting into this stuff is pretty cheap. LEDs are not expensive and you can get an OK soldering iron from Radio Shack for $15. If you're just learning things I'm a huge fan of Make Magazine's products - they have oodles of kits and books for picking up electronics as a hobby.
waxpraxis

Postby VultureChow » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:50 pm

wh..sh wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:LEDs these days are dirt cheap.. around $0.03/ea when you buy them in bulk.. and SO EASY to work with! Really. If you can change a tire on a car, you can create some LED projects.

Now that I think about it, an LED coat with an animated flying eagle like the one on the Anheuser Busch sign in Newark would be awesome. If they could do a giant one thirty years ago, a small LED one today should be no problem. Right?

Also, everything else on God's green earth is available on the internet, why can I not find a video of the sign?!
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby wh..sh » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:31 pm

VultureChow wrote:
wh..sh wrote:

Now that I think about it, an LED coat with an animated flying eagle like the one on the Anheuser Busch sign in Newark would be awesome. If they could do a giant one thirty years ago, a small LED one today should be no problem. Right?

Also, everything else on God's green earth is available on the internet, why can I not find a video of the sign?!

Only thing I could find was this
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby tamarakay » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:04 pm

The best part of junglesmack's video is his giggle lol
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby bigdane » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:15 pm

tamarakay wrote:The best part of junglesmack's video is his giggle lol

truly my favorite part too...he denies there is any dancing going on but by my definition I think its safe to say that he is "dancing"..
of course all my attempts to get on DWTS was rejected so what do I know... :roll:
bigdane

Postby Marscrumbs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:31 pm

I love people that make stuff you can't just get off the shelf.
Marscrumbs

Postby stinkyfoot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:21 pm

That giggle is clearly the beginnings of a full-on mad scientist laugh. It expresses the complete euphoria of having created something because you could and because it's awesome.
stinkyfoot

Postby 5280MeV » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Hey, I'm doing sound reaction too - I ended up getting the day off from work today and spent it putting together this guy that I got as an $8 kit:

first_circuit.jpg

I bought two of these to practice soldering on, I think that it is supposed to light up when you talk, but it actually stays on all the time and dims slightly when you set the trim all the way to one side and yell in the microphone.

Only two burns from deciding it would be a good idea to remove the small tip about 1 minute after turning the iron off... oops.

Maybe I can make the next one work correctly. The thing is only 2" x 1.5", and the part of the circuit delivering power to the LEDs is pretty simple, you should be able to take the LEDs out and drive whatever you want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5280MeV

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:05 pm

stinkyfoot wrote:

That giggle is clearly the beginnings of a full-on mad scientist laugh. It expresses the complete euphoria of having created something because you could and because it's awesome.

I just read all of these comments now :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah.. there really is no feeling like making something just.. nuts.. and being able to play with it again and again..

GO BIG!!!
junglesmacks

Return to Clothing & Playawear