Fun Fur

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Fun Fur

Postby VultureChow » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm planning a crochet project that uses fun fur. Does anyone know if it sheds a lot? Don't want to be moopy.
I should change my sig line.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Fun Fur

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:26 pm

It sheds a lot on the edge when cut, but after the loose stuff is remove it is pretty much non moop. Avoid glitter fur as that tends to be more moopy.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby trilobyte » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:30 pm

What drawingablank said. If you're shopping at a fabric joint in person, use your fingers and give it the gentle pull test. If looking online, see if the store does fabric swatches. It's a tiny patch of the actual fabric that they'll send you, because the best picture they can take just doesn't let you get a 'feel' for it. A lot of sites will give you a few swatches free, or for a nominal charge.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby VultureChow » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:37 pm

trilobyte wrote:What drawingablank said. If you're shopping at a fabric joint in person, use your fingers and give it the gentle pull test. If looking online, see if the store does fabric swatches. It's a tiny patch of the actual fabric that they'll send you, because the best picture they can take just doesn't let you get a 'feel' for it. A lot of sites will give you a few swatches free, or for a nominal charge.

Thanks all. Felt it, tugged the individual strands and it felt pretty secure. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts. I will proceed as planned.
VultureChow

Postby illy dilly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:02 pm

VultureChow wrote:
trilobyte wrote:What drawingablank said. If you're shopping at a fabric joint in person, use your fingers and give it the gentle pull test. If looking online, see if the store does fabric swatches. It's a tiny patch of the actual fabric that they'll send you, because the best picture they can take just doesn't let you get a 'feel' for it. A lot of sites will give you a few swatches free, or for a nominal charge.

Thanks all. Felt it, tugged the individual strands and it felt pretty secure. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts. I will proceed as planned.

Also, my GF swears that after sewing it all together throw it in the dryer (not the washer then dryer, just the dryer) one time with very little, but some, heat and let it tumble around for a while. It helps get any loose strands out in a controlled environment. And if after you've done it there is little fur in the lint trap then you know your good to go! If there is a lot of fur in the lint trap you're probably still good to go, but if you wanted to, you could run it through again.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby VultureChow » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:21 pm

illy dilly wrote:
VultureChow wrote:

Also, my GF swears that after sewing it all together throw it in the dryer (not the washer then dryer, just the dryer) one time with very little, but some, heat and let it tumble around for a while. It helps get any loose strands out in a controlled environment. And if after you've done it there is little fur in the lint trap then you know your good to go! If there is a lot of fur in the lint trap you're probably still good to go, but if you wanted to, you could run it through again.

Very good advice. Thanks.
VultureChow

Postby AntiM » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Tumble a test scrap first. I've had faux fur melt off the long hairs on a coat on uber-low.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Clothing & Playawear