Please help me find a playa jacket that was sold in Reno

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Please help me find a playa jacket that was sold in Reno

Postby ivorypale » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 pm

My neighbor let me wear his beautiful jacket when it got so cold on Thursday night and I'd love one of my own. He told me he got it in Reno on his way in at one of the many places selling Playa gear. Unfortunately he could not recall which shop and I come from the east and never pass through Reno.

It was full-length, long sleeved, teal/green with some intricate embroidery designs. I wish I had a picture or more information. Being able to wear that coat was such a lovely gift that night, I'm hopeful one of you may be able to point me in the right direction.
ivorypale

Re: Please help me find a playa jacket that was sold in Reno

Postby BBadger » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:09 pm

Oh hey, someone gave me this needle, and told me that he found it in this haystack (in Reno of all places). It was 2" long, silver, and sharp. I'm hopeful one of you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Though in all seriousness, Reno is a big place and that clothing description is not going to help much. You'd be better off trying to recreate it from memory using materials.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:49 am

Next time it could also help to read the label and find out brand, etc.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:39 pm

ivorypale wrote:My neighbor let me wear his beautiful jacket when it got so cold on Thursday night and I'd love one of my own. He told me he got it in Reno on his way in at one of the many places selling Playa gear. Unfortunately he could not recall which shop and I come from the east and never pass through Reno.

It was full-length, long sleeved, teal/green with some intricate embroidery designs. I wish I had a picture or more information. Being able to wear that coat was such a lovely gift that night, I'm hopeful one of you may be able to point me in the right direction.

THis is a shot in the dark.. with my eyes closed... hopping up and down... on a grease covered ice-rink... in stilletos...

If it looked and felt like a hand made coat, going from the comment about the intricate embroidery, my guess is going to be "The Melting Pot" on Virginia Ave. They have some very cool stuff in their and they are also Burners...
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:45 pm

http://www.facebook.com/themeltingpotworldemporium

Im looking at there photos right now.... I could spend a few grand in there no issue! So much cool stuff!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby moonrise » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:21 pm

The Melting Pot is the Reno store for NEW playa clothing and stuff. Yes, they are burners.

Junkee clothing (quality second hand) is nearby, across the street from The Melting Pot, also burners.

Prism Magic has NEW burner clothing and stuff. They're located in Sparks or Spanish Springs, near Reno off Pyramid Hwy, also burners.

There may be others, these are the most popular and all I can recall at this moment. Good luck!

(Used, real fur coats, re-tailored and funkfied make fiiiine playa wear, maybe someday I'll try that)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby lucky420 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:38 pm

it was probably from the Melting Pot....gorgeous clothes there for sure
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby ivorypale » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks guys!
I'm pretty sure it was the Melting Pot. It looks like their store is closed now but they will be opening an online store soon. I hope I can find it there!
ivorypale

Postby Sham » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:31 pm

From what I can see online, there was a restaurant with a similar name in Reno that closed. The counterculture store that we know and love is still open, and will be opening an online version very soon in addition to the store. I called the phone number and they appear to still be in business.

Can someone clarify if this is correct?

Sham

Postby lucky420 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:03 pm

No, they are still open. I just bought some stuff there last thursday. Their store is stocked to the gills...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:40 am

I wish that place was in New York - cause we don't have enough cool places to shop in New York City.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby ivorypale » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Awesome, thanks guys! I was looking at <a href="http://www.facebook.com/themeltingpotworldemporium?sk=info">their Facebook info</a> which said status: closed, I'm happy to hear that is not the case.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and hope I can find this playa haystack coat :D
ivorypale

Postby ivorypale » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:27 am

I've been talking to Dixie at The Melting Pot for a few weeks and we actually found the jacket! They didn't have it in stock but they are ordering it for me. It is a weird brand that I never did find online called "The Royal Collection".

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Dixie and The Melting Pot are totally awesome!
ivorypale

Return to Clothing & Playawear