Belts, Belts, Belts

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Belts, Belts, Belts

Postby lazerfox » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:50 pm

I keep forgetting to post these in the costume & crafting thread but I guess we've been asked to divide and conquer so I'll just go ahead and make a new post.

From my time researching belt options for the last year or so here are the top options that most folks used or recommended.

Everyone feel free to post any others you have found and also any crafting knowledge you have/find/create :D

a) Utility pod belt option:
- They can be adjusted to your needs by selecting different sizes or styles of "pods"
Podbelt seemed to have the most positive reviews but it can cost more depending on what you want ([url]podbelt.com[/url])

b) Military belt option:
- This is the one I went with but mostly because I already had it as a leftover of my ROTC days :) and it works for me just fine. You can get different sized pockets just like the podbelt but they are just not as nice looking so they are cheaper. They've lasted me for years though so I will not complain. The other plus is they can usually be found locally at any Army/Navy Surplus Store

c) Festival inspired home made jeans option:
- These can be made at home using old pairs of jeans or found on websites like etsy.com for way more $ than they should cost :|

d) Leather belt option:
- Some folks have learned to make them and the largest cost seems to be for the tools needed. These can also be found online or at festivals and cost a lot due to the material and workmanship.

e) Canvas belt option:
- These are like the leather options but made out of durable fabric materials. Cost significantly less than the leather counterpart.

Hope this is helpful.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Re: Belts, Belts, Belts

Postby trilobyte » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Is it wrong to like all of them? I like the modular design of the pod/utility belt design a lot, but they've all got a lot of appeal to me.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:39 pm

nice thing about them, LFX, is that (IMHO), you don't need pants or anything, if you have one of those.........it'd be a nice outfit.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Those are all pretty nice, but personally I'm not a big fan of utility belts. They all just seem bulky and get in the way, and hanging things from them even makes them worse.

I just discovered photographer's vests, which look promising.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby International Incident » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks LF, I am deciding whether to go belt or backpack (again) for 2012. So all info on belts is much appreciated :D
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Here is a leather belt thing I made for a friend. Leather work is not that hard and not too big of an investment to get in to. It's fun too.
I punched holes for every spot I did sewing so I just pushed the needle through lined up holes. I'm not much of a seamstress so this was a good medium for me. All of the hardware is from a leather store that supplies horse tack makers so there are all sorts of neat attachment gadgets to use. Making it yourself means you get a nice custom fit for the things you want to carry around and that one of a kind look.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby trilobyte » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Bulk is a concern for me too, jkisha, I think that's why I'm leaning towards something that's modular. I can load it down and have something closer to a tool belt when I'm building stuff, or I can go light when it comes to going out exploring. Then again, I could end up making a couple different options and bringing a bin full of different belts to the playa next year.

I did the backpack/hydro pack for a few years, but ultimately it was more cumbersome than I wanted. This year I skipped that, and kept water/drinks in the basket of my trike. But I ended up with all my pockets full of stuff all week, which at times was a pain.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 pm

trilobyte wrote:Is it wrong to like all of them?

No, it's not wrong. Just a little slutty.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Is it wrong to like all of them?

No, it's not wrong. Just a little slutty.

somehow, I that statement seems redundant, in this case.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:19 pm

jkisha wrote:Those are all pretty nice, but personally I'm not a big fan of utility belts. They all just seem bulky and get in the way, and hanging things from them even makes them worse.

I just discovered photographer's vests, which look promising.

Fly fishing vests have a large variety of pocket options as well.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Packoderm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:11 pm

They've been selling these things for years.

(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby lazerfox » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:33 am

trylobyte - I have the same problem...but since the military version was something I already had it was hard to justify spending lots of money on something else...sigh to financial sense :lol: And I totally made my belt adjustable as far as weight was concerned. If I was tired and didn't feel like having it weigh too much I simply removed items I wouldn't need for that particular trip (i.e. extra bottle of water.) It can also be carried like a messenger bag if you don't feel like putting it on and off.

Ygrrrr - I had not thought of that...but you are right!! :D

jkisha - those photog vests are pretty neat but I like to wear costumes and that would hinder the view :wink: Also, with my thin straps tank tops and shawl type covers I had no interest in carrying a backpack that would catch and scratch my skin raw or possibly rip my shawls. I guess this post was not meant as a "You must use a belt" instead as more of a guide for those who have decided go the belt route and to gather up any craft knowledge from those who have made their own.

motskyroonmatick - that leather belt looks great! Question: what do you mean by "...for every spot I did sewing..."? did you sew on the belt to the leather strap and then added the metal pieces? Agreed this is much cooler looking. However in my personal experience with my military belt the fit is perfectly adjusted around my waist.

drawingablank - I bet those would be nice...and probably even somewhat weatherproof.

packoderm - indeed...but you can only fit so much into one pocket. Although that is a very nice outfit...
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:40 am

I'm working on my leather / fabric utliity belt now and will post pics of the prototype as I get it sewn up.

While I like the water and carrying capacity of my camelback mule - it was a pita having to dig into it every time I wanted a cigg.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby Elderberry » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:59 am

Drawingablank wrote:I'm working on my leather / fabric utliity belt now and will post pics of the prototype as I get it sewn up.

While I like the water and carrying capacity of my camelback mule - it was a pita having to dig into it every time I wanted a cigg.

Well that's easy to fix. Just quit smoking! :wink:
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:52 am

jkisha wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:I'm working on my leather / fabric utliity belt now and will post pics of the prototype as I get it sewn up.

Well that's easy to fix. Just quit smoking! :wink:

Taking the easy fix just seems so unburnerlike though.

Drawingablank

Postby ygmir » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:47 pm

and here, I thought this thread was about judges in Texas..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby tamarakay » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:24 am

I used an old pair of jeans like in your picture, but I sewed on some of my granddaughters newborn shorts/shirts. looked like a little mini clothes line. Those worked great for the little things I wanted to carry around (chapstick, wetwipes, eye drops, I had a plastic lined short for my pstyle). I had hooks on the beltloops to hang my cup and my water bottle from. The cup worked out great, it was the small metal one from the Dusty Swan, but the water bottle was too bulky and banged around too much. Ended up just hooking that onto my bike or just carrying it around when walking.

I had a lot of positive comments on it, was even stopped multiple times so others could look at how I did it. Even had a couple requests for me to make one!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Elderberry » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:30 am

ygmir wrote:and here, I thought this thread was about judges in Texas..........

LOL Looks like you and I are the only two people that know about this! Since the thread is slow, might as well drift it a bit more...
JK
Elderberry

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:33 am

I'd heard about it.
I wonder if he'll be able to start running a courtroom again.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:39 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I'd heard about it.

Only if he brings the "BELT"! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:40 am

FIGJAM wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I'd heard about it.

Only if he brings the "BELT"! 8)

He's in Texas. They'll probably stand up and cheer. Not to mention he'll get a bunch of judge-groupies.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby tamarakay » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:44 pm

The overwhelming opinion of everyone i've talked to in Texas is it's a shame she didn't show it to someone before the statute of limitations ran out. Pretty much every Texan I've talked with agrees that is not discipline. That is an out of control monster abusing his child.

The head of the court system gave an interview and he said he didn't see how he would ever respect this man again and he didn't see him ever being an effective judge again.

tamarakay

Postby tamarakay » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:55 pm

I personally want to go kick his ass.

tamarakay

Postby Elorrum » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:15 pm

The shit we don't know about the private lives of people who are institutionally respected.

mmm, back to belts, vests etc.
I haven't settled on what I like best, travel vest, belt. What I do with indecision is make my stuff transferable by putting it in ziplocks that can go from thing to thing. One baggy has bandaids, little sunscreen, chapstick. One for schwag to give, and for next year: one for schwag (if it can't hang around my neck) I get. goggles. camera. One ziplock for night items, small fold up clear goggles, and small flashlight. It's always a case of too many pockets. I found my meet and greet name tag which I swore I'd lost, buttoned in the back pocket of the pants I wore that night, went through the wash no issues.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside
Elorrum

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:31 pm

lazerfox wrote:motskyroonmatick - that leather belt looks great! Question: what do you mean by "...for every spot I did sewing..."? did you sew on the belt to the leather strap and then added the metal pieces? Agreed this is much cooler looking. However in my personal experience with my military belt the fit is perfectly adjusted around my waist.

Here is a close up of the belt... Picture being worth a thousand words and all. :)
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp32 ... G_0255.jpg

I hand cut out each piece from 1/2 a cow hide dyed black. It is tough stuff about 1/4 inch thick. I used a metal straight edge and a box cutter to make the cuts. I punched holes with a size adjustable hand operated punch and with single sized punches that you strike with a hammer to push it through the leather. My work surface was a sheet of MDF (medium density fiberboard). It doesn't have grain so the knife doesn't wander due to cutting across or with the grain as a standard piece of plywood does.
Areas where there are Xes were done with 4 holes punched in a square. Straight stitches were done with 2 holes and L stitches with 3 holes. On the rings I would make the small leather piece and then place it on the belt and mark through the holes with a pencil. Then I would punch holes on the marks in the belt. Everything lines up pretty well doing that.
I used synthetic waxed thread and a large needle for the stitching. All told it took me about 8 hours to make the belt and I came up with the design on the fly.

If the shoe belt fits then wear it. I've always liked the rugged utilitarian look of the military belt.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby Elderberry » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:34 pm

Very nice.
JK
Elderberry

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks! :)

motskyroonmatick

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:16 am

Mots that is a gorgeous belt, thanks for posting the pix & explanations. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 pm

This is the start of mine. Bought this bag today. The strap is a belt so im like humm wonder if it will work. Put the belt around me and it works quite well! I need to make some mods like reinforcing the belt with another layer of something and re sewing the belt seems to make sure it holds with weight. Also going to sew some O rings on it to attach things. Plus grommets on the buckle holes. I think it will look nice when I get done. The company bought it from has some REALLY cool looking ones. Im thinking I may get one more. They have a black one with silver studs. Looks kinda mad max-ish.

maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:31 pm

Cool!

I like all the pockets. I find multiple pockets and compartments very useful on playa.

Dancing with it on filled with 2 water bottles and 6 cans of beer is the way I would test it for playa worthiness. :D

motskyroonmatick

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear