How many outfits or costumes do you bring?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

How many outfits or costumes do you bring?

Postby Dictator Bob » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Hey there peoples, I am going for the first time this year and am struggling with how many items and articles of clothing I should bring. I'm putting together outfits and am wondering how many I should do. I have a bunch of questions that are driving me crazy. One of my girlfriends is bringing two outfits per day. I am not that creative nor stylish ... nor do I want to be!! I just want to be comfortable, occasionally well dressed, and quite often awesome.

How many "costumes" do you bring?

What about just day to day running around touristing stuff?

Do you wear some things over again to conserve space and energy, or do you absolutely have to have a different look and personal theme every thirty five to forty minutes of almost entirely unique and never before seen items?

And most importantly, what do I do with this really ugly orange camelbak I got here ... ? :evil:

Any help and guidance in this area is much appreciated.

:)

dib
Dictator Bob

Re: How many outfits or costumes do you bring?

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:50 pm

I wear white cargo scrubbs, white long sleeve pocket tees, white tennis shoes, and let artists use me for a canvase.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MoonSplash » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Both times I've gone, I've brought a good amount of clothes / costumes including tutus and tiaras and all that good stuff.

Both times I've gone, I've pretty much ended up wearing the same one or two comfy,easy outfits for the week. Year One I had a full length purple polyester giraffe print nightie that a friend of mine sliced crotch high. Took 2 seconds to wash and 4 seconds to dry. Year Two I lived in my bright pink tutu-ish mini skirt and a ripped up, thin t-shirt. Took 6 seconds to wash and a minute to dry.

At night, I did wear different, warmer outfits, but 90% of the clothes / costumes I brought I did not dig out from my tent.
MoonSplash

Postby AntiM » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Bring more than you need, but not more than you can easily haul. You'll never know when you want variety, or get cold, or want to gift someone a costume.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jella » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:03 pm

AntiM wrote:Bring more than you need, but not more than you can easily haul. You'll never know when you want variety, or get cold, or want to gift someone a costume.

+1
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:57 pm

I bring a lot of clothes, though half of it is fairly practical.

* Comfortable protective footwear (several) and 1 pr flip flops for in-camp wear
* Dark goggles & light goggles, for day and night (or one pair with interchangeable lenses)
* Twice as many socks and underwear as a sane person would bring
* Sealed outfit (incl. shoes) for after the first shower on the way back
* Loose billowy dresses for day
* Costumes for events (theme camp parties, parades, whatever) . . . usually one per day.
* Costume pieces that need a home . . . fun, whenever possible!

* Warm coat, preferably a fun, spirited one (if you care) so you don't feel sad or frumpy when it's cold
* A light layer, like a sweater or hoodie or silk thermal stuff to stuff in your backpack when you head out on a warmish night
* Wearable lights of all kinds for the body; several LEDs on lanyards for the potties
* Parasol, hat with strap or tight fit (and other sun shields)
* Backpack
* Big scarves & bandannas for dust protection
* Work gloves, tool belt, utility/camera belt

Don't forget towels. And maybe a robe, for when you don't want to commit. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Dictator Bob » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Savannah wrote:* Costumes for events (theme camp parties, parades, whatever) . . . usually one per day.

Yeesh, see this is what pushes me out of my comfort zone. I'm struggling with one costume haha!!
Dictator Bob

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm running low on cash, so I'm probably done shopping for clothes/costumes. Shopping in the women's section did rock though, girls clothes are way cuter than those for boys. You go into any men's section and it's all blacks and browns, walk over to the women's area and it's like getting a blow job from a rainbow.

Anyways, I've picked up a few pairs of brightly colored pants (red, pink, purple, etc), a sweet pair of plaid pants, a few cute gypsy skirts (I think that's what they're called), a couple fur vests, and another fur coat to go with the one I made last year. I think those combined with my leftovers from last year and just some simple shorts and t-shirts should suffice.
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:19 pm

You don't need to be a pretty princess--I only bring costumes because I want to, and to events that warrant them. Not while riding around or visiting or eating dinner necessarily, and I might go out in Whatever for some afternoon dancing. However, if there is a parade of people wearing santa costumes while they pubcrawl, why YES, I want in on that action, so I bring a ludicrous santa hat and some grievous red thing to wear with it, and it's my bag, and absolutely hilarious (to me). So if you want to do that stuff too, look up some theme camps or 2011 Arts & Performances lower on this board, and see what parties they're having, and consider whether you even want to participate in that vein. It's not mandatory!

It could be as simple as crazy hats. Togas. Whatever you want that doesn't shed or drop pieces.

Some of the finest, most upstanding, volunteer-centric folks I know out there just wear their street clothes, or work clothes, or kilts/shorts/sarongs and sandals and call it a day. Provided they have protective gear, they are as happy as anyone else out socializing or dancing, and it shows bad manners and a headful of presumption to make statements about their burniness based on how they're dressed.

So do what you want and be happy. Don't worry.

There is a phrase for a person who shows up to the desert with two trunks of costumes, no skills, and a headful of drama or entitlement: sparkle pony.
Savannah

Postby Boijoy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:24 pm

you can bring stuff to mix and match as well. I go with pink & leopard.
I can wear a pink fur hat, leopard vest, & tights. Or leopard hat w/ vest. & pink tutu w/ tights.
Layers are good. Or. leopard hat, no top & leopard pajama pants.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:17 pm

I struggle with costuming and hate shopping, so suggest not worrying too much the first year, except planning for ranges in temperature. Rock some warming items for cool. There are costume exchanges like Black Rock Boutique and others, including friends and lovers who exist to give costuming advice+ costume items and perhaps people in your camp are the same size. You can't wear everything at once and after a few days everything is dusty. I have pinned faux fur to a cover a backpack, which is a place to store on off temperature layers for dancing at night.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:41 pm

There are camps that bring piles of clothes for us less creative types that will gladly dress you up to walk their runway then thr playa. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Bexx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:10 pm

I just run around in shorts and tank tops during the day. comfortable shoes and a shade hat. @ night -it all depends on how I feel. I'm usually not one for costumes anyhoo. I'll do up bright clothing, but costumes.. I always have a hard time. I do make myself a cardboard and duct tape shark fin that I run around in. This year I'm adding El Wire to it.

I Think I'm just big on being comfortable - and I don't wanna have to wrangle with anything big if I have to go to the potty... and that includes wearing tights.
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:16 pm

some seeing eye wrote:I struggle with costuming and hate shopping, so suggest not worrying too much the first year, except planning for ranges in temperature.

I like this one (and I'm an "outfit" kind of guy).

Wear what makes you comfortable- if that's khaki's & a t-shirt... fine. If it's no underwear & a tutu, fine. Whatever works for you, wear it. Don't listen to *anyone*, not even your girlfriend, who tells you that you need to wear "costumes". You don't.

I would bring a couple of pieces you might want to wear just in case you decide you do want to dress up. It is one of those places where most people are wearing some sort of outfit most of the time.

(My daytime: loose breezy pants, converse, t-shirt or loose shirt, keffiyeh. My night-time: suit & ties, dress shoes or mid-calf boots, top hat, a few strategic LED's. I'm thinking about changing up my night-time look this year somewhat)

The longer I go, the less I bring. I do not, however, go naked.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ibdave » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:23 pm

10 totes... Yes 10. We tend to dress the neighborhood.. 8)
Wife doesn't understand overweight trailers tires... :roll: :roll:
I can change the trailer tire in less than 5 mins....
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Daytime: fuzzy cheetah pants and some funk sunglasses.

Nighttime: silver moon pants and black thermal top.

Although.. this year the silver pants dooooo have 1200 LEDs on them..

For me, I'm good with one thing at night and one thing for day. Find a pair of funky pants. Get some cheapo funky sunglasses on eBay. Have fun.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Depending on the size of your backpack, you could stretch and pin a furry toilet seat cover to it or cut strap holes in a pillowcase and paint it. I'm not a big daytime costume person at all.

Yes, I said "costume" and not "outfit" so there. :P
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby jella » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:49 pm

ibdave wrote:10 totes... Yes 10. We tend to dress the neighborhood.. 8)
Wife doesn't understand overweight trailers tires... :roll: :roll:
I can change the trailer tire in less than 5 mins....

Only 10 8) hehe...Ibdave can't wait to meet you and your wife !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:Yes, I said "costume" and not "outfit" so there. :P

I guess if you want to be technical my daytime outfits are costumes- I normally wouldn't be caught dead in a t-shirt outside my house other than running the 1/2 block to the corner store. And even then I usually put a button-up on.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Some go to GREAT lengths and expense putting together their "costumes." No matter how creative you think you've been, you'll find someone who's taken it a step further...or more. Point is...don't sweat it. Most of my outfits are weird combinations of things I found laying around the house, or spent a few bucks at local thrift stores buying cheap odds and ends. I have never actually "made" a costume unless you call cutting the sleeves and bottom part off an old Army BDU shirt turning it into a vest.

For day times I go for practical attire that will keep me comfortable in the heat, but definitely not touristy (the aforementioned vest, wide brimmed California lifeguard hat, steel toed boots with wool socks and a pink mini skirt...masculine with a touch of the feminine. At night I tend to lean toward covering most of the skin...maybe even wear a jacket depending on how chilly it may get...but still get out of character.

Also keep in mind that many of the folks you see at Burning Man dressed in what you might consider a costume are wearing what they normally wear. Take a stroll around one of your alternative neighborhoods (you do have an alternative neighborhood, don't you?)...and capitalize on some of the color and creativity you see there. Also, get on YouTube keyword: Burning Man for videos of the playa and see what everyone else is wearing.

If you feel you've missed the mark as you stroll around the playa witnessing the denizens in all their finery, hie thyself to one of the several playa boutiques that are stocked with a wide selection of odds and ends of potential playa wear...Black Rock Boutique and Sex Filth Avenue are two that come to mind.

One thing for sure, this is a great opportunity to go beyond where you've ever been before and have fun!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Raymaker » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:32 am

I think my main daytime costume will make me look like a porta potty attendant :shock:
Raymaker

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:37 am

Raymaker wrote:I think my main daytime costume will make me look like a porta potty attendant :shock:

Then people will follow you down the street, and you will be loved wherever you go. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby RedHeaven » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:41 pm

I bring whatever I can fit into a big bin. I separate stuff using 2 gallon ziploc baggies. Even if I don't zip up the baggies all the time (lets face it, I do get a little lazy) it still helps protect it from dust so its a little fresher mid week. I use a big bin and do not overfill it so it can close securely when not in use.

Everyone has their own speed, I wear stuff I wear to festivals but show a little more skin (because Burning man makes me feel less self conscious than ANY other place on earth) and my #1 is COMFORT. Everything else is secondary. I like to protect my hair because it is fragile so I use dorky trendy burner hair falls and fun bun covers and wrap my hair up with conditioner. But if my hair was a bit stronger I would just braid it or let it go and deep condition thruout the week.

I just decorate a little bit....Some fun face paint, big burly combat boots, cotton in the daytime. Sarongs are good for keeping the sun off my shoulders, they can be dipped in water to cool you off (but when a dust storm hits you turn into sandy sanderson) and they are pretty and colorful.

comfortable tight gloves can be fun to wear (I actually sport a garden kind that are rubbery and thin and stretchy) if you get dry hands easily and your skin cracks.

Lots of socks of course because I get playa foot and my skin is dry.

I just get extra decorative myself, I dont go for lavish costumes. Maybe I'll plan ONE.

Of COURSE, any kind of lighting at night. I hang a small LED flashlight around my neck and keep it on plus wear some colored lights. I dont like to blink though, I save the blinkers for the bike so people can approach me without having a seizure ;)

Some good posts in this thread. I remember my first year (2005) I had to go thru a big Rites of Passage of getting to know who I was, all thru costuming. I knew I didnt look as cool and pretty as some of my friends, and everywhere I went with my girl friends they would get more attention than I did. It really made me panic that there was no way I could compete with all the great looking costumes out there.
Then mid week I was realizing that i WAS meeting people, but they were MY kind of people, not just anyone......I was attracting who was right for me to talk to. I realized that many people in BRC are not so shallow that they base people on their looks. this is a common misconception about people who do not attend Burning Man: That people are ALL fashion snobs. Not true.
5 years later into the burn and I know who I am, I have become my own style. I dont have a lot of money but I make things myself, as thrown together as they are they are MY style. Ive gotten PLENTY of great comments and vibes from people EVERY year I go just because I have a good attitude and smile and am not worried about that stuff. I'm doing something right and it aint being the coolest dressed there.
I realized that Burning Man had more Actual FUN interactive costumes (LIKE THE GUY ABOVE THAT POSTS ABOUT HIS SHARK FIN....that is awesome!!) and all the pretty costumes are great and they all just blend into the beautiful city, which every color and shade and style is a part of.
Sorry to go off just thought I would share that!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby trilobyte » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:08 pm

So many good ideas and great things said up above this post. Yep, cover the basics for basic protection (hot during the day, cold at night), layers are your friend. Dress for comfort and what you want to do. Maybe that's not much, maybe you want to dress like a pirate. Every day there is kind of like halloween (combined with every other holiday imaginable), but there isn't really any dress code. No matter how far you go, in ten minutes you'll see someone who went further than that. No matter how mainstream you look, you'll probably see someone dressed even moreso.

Two camps to look for (and I think they'll both be out there) are Black Rock Boutique and Kostume Kult. Both spend their time throughout the year collecting up fun/cool costume pieces and then offer them as gifts (they'll also gratefully accept any donations you may have). So if you pick something up thinking it'll look great on the playa but then get out there and have second thoughts, you can gift it/exchange it and see where it goes from there.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jcliff » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Because I fly in, I've learned to costume myself in outfits that take up very little square footage. Some good finds for this year - black and white striped leggings, several very cool art t-shirts (Threadless has an awesome selection,) silver metallic and pink flowered leggings, a very pretty pair of Chinese pajamas that will offer cool cover, and a couple vintage skirts. I'll mix and match everything so it looks like a fresh outfit. Never underestimate the power of a unique hat or sunglasses to amp up what otherwise isn't all that costumey.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby Foxfur » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Irreverent Moniker wrote:I'm running low on cash, so I'm probably done shopping for clothes/costumes. Shopping in the women's section did rock though, girls clothes are way cuter than those for boys. You go into any men's section and it's all blacks and browns, walk over to the women's area and it's like getting a blow job from a rainbow.
Anyways, I've picked up a few pairs of brightly colored pants (red, pink, purple, etc), a sweet pair of plaid pants, a few cute gypsy skirts (I think that's what they're called), a couple fur vests, and another fur coat to go with the one I made last year. I think those combined with my leftovers from last year and just some simple shorts and t-shirts should suffice.

Couldn't agree more. Waaay better selection of fabric types. And the jeans make my ass look sort of acceptable, too!
I've been ransacking goodwill mainly for hiphugger jeans, running shorts, normal shorts, short shorts, and a pair of venus (?) jeans that have 3 (THREE!) zippers fron ankle to waistband and fit like a dream.
Guys section shorts? They go down to the knees and all look the same.

I might be rockin the wetsuit for a few hours one night. Random23's sending me a pink cumberbund that's gonna kick ass with it.
Then there's the full length fur coat and the full length leather mad-max coat.
Aww crap. Decisions decisions...
Might just bring it all and do like I did at Reno Compression. Changed 5 times that day incrementally.
Went from scrubs to scrub top with bellbottom camo hiphuggers to desert BDU top with bellbottoms, to side zippered jeand with BDU top to.....

BTW, I'm bringing 4-5 sets of scrubs. I might have an extra set or three to gift. Espresso Camp.....
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:48 am

Well shiot, now I feel all inadequate about what qualifies as a costume on my body this year. I guess I'll just have to add more lights.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Cheyenne » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:04 am

As we are flying... it is difficult

I am bringing the biggest case I have ever seen... it can get about 40 kilos of stuff in it, but that would batter my baggage allowance... so

I am sending a box ahead of time with some of the gifty alcohol stuff via DHL and hope it doesn't get impounded by the shitty customs jobsworths...

Other than that - I'm bringing my Trojan warrior outfit for the horse burn on the friday

My 17th century serving wenches outfit for on the artcar for the wednesday regatta

My loose desert military gear for practical applications

And practical clothing

.....and a pith helmet

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:52 pm

BBadger wrote:I guess I'll just have to add more lights.

I've actually gotten tired of the over-use of lights on costumes, so last year I pulled waaaaay back. I found LED drop pendants that were fairly cheap, took off the cord and attached safety pins & just hang a few around the bottom of my jacket. Not a darkwad, yet not a christmas tree either. (warning- turn them on, make sure they're tight & leave them on until you get back to camp. You have to loosen the "drop" to turn it off & I had one MOOP on me without my realizing it.)

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Dictator Bob » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:40 am

Hey thanks for all the replies! I've been busy hunting at thrift stores. I don't know if I've found much in the way of costumes as much as I've had an adventure discovering really cool stuff I like that is only a few bucks. I don't think I can do as much retail store shopping as I used to after this. I've mashed together some ensembles and have slowly started coordinating with my girlfriends on what to wear. Thank God for creative women!

To be honest I have been pretty nervous. I'm such a t-shirts and jeans kinda guy till I die. The idea that I can meet people actually willing to help me is pretty exciting. I think I'll definitely check out some of the costume camps and try to meet people and get some friendly advice. One funny thing that has surfaced is my collection of hats. I've always liked hats. But now ... since this journey all began ... fuck man I have like 20 hats.

I'm bringing every damn one of them.

But I'm really low on pants ... I need pants.

thanks again!

dib
Dictator Bob

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear