Bay Area clothes shopping

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Bay Area clothes shopping

Postby jojoware » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:27 am

I'm going to be in the Bay Area next weekend, celebrating my love's birthday with dancing and wonderful food, and thought we would take some time looking for new outfits for Burning Man. Any suggestions for what thrift stores and boutiques to shop at for reasonably priced, interesting clothes for the playa? Here's a sample of what we're looking for....

• assless chaps
  • wedding dress to fit a man, plus veil and accessories
  • furry boot covers & such
  • priest habit & accessories
  • wings

many thanks for your suggestions. ... .rodeo Joe
jojoware

Re: Bay Area clothes shopping

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:10 am

Haight Street can always be a bunch of fun (aim for Haight & Ashbury, then explore from there), even though a few chain stores have crept in and the rising rents have chased away a few cool shops. If you're looking for some great fabrics to transmogrify into playawear or decoration, check out Discount Fabrics - their outlet store/warehouse is on 11th and Howard. I know of a burnerrific rummage sale (with cool costumes, etc) happening on Saturday the 30th, check your PM's for details.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Sunkix4 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm

There's a great store at the end of Haight called NY Apparel! I usually go out there once a year to stock up on $2 fishnets. Super reasonable prices.
Sunkix4

Postby pchops » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:30 pm

Are there any SF clothing store recommendations, specifically for places that might carry funky men's pants?

Am a regular at the Haight and Mission thrift stores as well browse/occasionally shop at Five & Diamond, Distractions and Ceiba (Unfortunately, with more burner-type style pants, my size 34 waist seems to make me only able to wear size 'giant' which are rarely in stock. Any other SF men's clothing store shopping favorites?

Thanks,

Paul
pchops

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:39 pm

pchops wrote:Are there any SF clothing store recommendations, specifically for places that might carry funky men's pants?

Am a regular at the Haight and Mission thrift stores as well browse/occasionally shop at Five & Diamond, Distractions and Ceiba (Unfortunately, with more burner-type style pants, my size 34 waist seems to make me only able to wear size 'giant' which are rarely in stock. Any other SF men's clothing store shopping favorites?

Look in the womens sections. I've got a bigger waist then you and can always find things if I dig around. Mission Thrift is especially good, but almost every SF Burner knows them so they get hit hard this time of year. Thrift Town is a little more hit-and-miss, but has lots more stuff to dig through (same with the Goodwill on Mission & South Van Ness).

jojoware wrote:
  • assless chaps

Try Mr S. leather. They won't be cheap but they'll have almost every size you can think of.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Return to Clothing & Playawear