Has anyone used these goggles before?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Has anyone used these goggles before?

Postby mazatta » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 am

I am organizing a goggles group buy for my crew and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. This site seems to have the best price I've found so far and shipping to Canada seems reasonable.

http://www.maximumeyewear.com/productfo ... ggles.html
mazatta

Re: Has anyone used these goggles before?

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 am

Yes. I ordered that exact same goggle last year. Really comfortable to wear. Of all the goggles I have tried, and I've tried a lot, including some way more expensive, these are the best I have experienced by far.

I wore them day and night. They did fog up a bit at night in the cold air during the burn, but I think that's pretty common for most goggles.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 am

I like these.
I think I just might go get me some contacts so that I can actually see while wearing them.
¡Niers!

Postby geospyder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:10 pm

I have two sets of military dust goggles, each with a clear and dark lenses. Last year after the Megatropolis burn when the major dust storm came up I found that I had left my clear lenses back at camp and only had the dark lenses. Not good :( These goggles seem to be just the thing I need. I just ordered a pair from Amazon since I still had some promotional money with them. If they work out it looks like I'll have two sets of goggles that I can gift someone when I see them in need. Thanks for the info.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby delle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:48 pm

These are the ones I was looking at for myself. Glad to have them JK endorsed!!!

I was wondering tho, Mazatta, if the Canadian postal strike hit your area at all and is REALLY OVER there.......... because it sure isn't in Quebec. I'd think that if there was any way at all you could have them shipped within the US, it would be safer to go that route.

(don't really mean to poop on your parade, but I have yet to receive a single piece of mail dated later than June 5 here..... YMMV of course..... it would just be a huge shame not to receive them in time, especially if you're ordering several....)

and speaking of things not received:

This addresses the contacts issue

What I had planned to do was to cut and fit some pinhole glasses lenses to fit into my goggles. Easy and REALLY CHEAP way of getting perfect far vision for those of us with certain vision problems. (just make a diamond with your thumbs and forefingers and see if it doesn't crispen up your vision to see if they'd work for you)

Only thing is.... the load of them that I ordered prior to the postal strike have yet to show......

Anyhow - cheaper than $2 on some ebay sites. And they look cool enough. Bug Eyes Unite!!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_glasses
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby mazatta » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm getting mail, but I don't typically really get much as any bills I can get delivered online I do. There is apparently still a rather large backlog of mail (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... ivery.html) but I think they're trying to do what they can to get it taken care of.

I think it is going to be early enough that by the time my package hits the border, the backlog will be mostly gone (was planning on submitting the order at the end of the week).
It's definitely something I'll keep in mind though, as I have a friend living in North Dakota right now and she'll be home at the end of the month.
mazatta

Postby delle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Personally, I'd think hard about the ND route if you can....

"Backlog" is a good enough story. They're pissed off at being forced back to work and are doing absolute minimum to rectumfy (my new favorite word. sorry I just had to use it because i could) the situation. I haven't received a thing sent since service was "reinstated" and don't expect to.... but fortunately I have a soft and safe landing spot in AZ to send what I need.

....like these goggles. :D

Edited to add: How interesting is it that they were locked out on June 12th and all the mail I've received since reinstatement is prior to June 5th. And we're talking items within a few hundred kilometers sending distance. ....Maybe it's just MY post office. Maybe it's just MY mail. But I don't trust them farther than I could spit at this point. Again. Very sorry for the rant. I have stuff I want to send and stuff I want to receive and just wish it would get back to a safe place where I felt like it might happen in a timely manner (or at all).
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Well the US Postoffice has started taking mail addressed to Canada again, so they must think the strike is over. :)

Oh man, I sure hope you guys like the goggles as much as I do. I thought for sure there would be other endorsers. Now I feel like I'll be responsible if you get them and don't like them. :oops:

BTW I think that company makes goggles that you can have fitted with prescription lenses too,
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Puckmaster » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:21 am

Hey great topic! I needed to replace my goggles. But I will say get them on ebay I just got them for 29 bucks with free shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELIMINATOR-24-transition-sunsensor-CLEAR-SMK-GOGGLE-/120749067200?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item1c1d348bc0
Ring Master
Tsirko Metamorfosi!
Puckmaster

Postby geospyder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Received an email today saying that the goggles I ordered Tuesday have been shipped :D
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby DustHand » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:25 pm

I have had a tinted pair of these for ATV riding for years. Brought them to BM last year, and they performed flawlessly! Comfortable and light but an excellent gasket. You will love em.
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Burning Since: 2010

Postby bigbluedoggy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Based on this thread, I just bought a pair, too!
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby mazatta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Awesome, thanks for the reviews everyone. I have 8 pairs on their way!
mazatta

Postby Puckmaster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Got my goggles in today they fit better than I hoped!
Ring Master
Tsirko Metamorfosi!
Puckmaster

Postby DustHand » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Puckmaster wrote:Got my goggles in today they fit better than I hoped!

Sweet!
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Me too! They are quite comfy! There are 3 small vent holes which may let in a little dust in each side, but overall they seem quite nice!

bigbluedoggy

Postby Elderberry » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Ya, I was concerned about the dust holes, but other goggles that I've tried that don't have them seem to steam up a lot more.
bigbluedoggy wrote:Me too! They are quite comfy! There are 3 small vent holes which may let in a little dust in each side, but overall they seem quite nice!
JK
Elderberry

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Figure I can always plug the little holes with some tape if it's a real problem.

bigbluedoggy

Postby Puckmaster » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:58 am

If you are gonna plug the holes use micropore tape is a paper tape you can get it at any drug store will block dust but allow air so u will get less fogging
Ring Master
Tsirko Metamorfosi!
Puckmaster

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:01 am

I've never used any goggles, and I do just fine. Good pair of funkadelic bright red elvis sunglasses has always done me right even in whiteout conditions.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:03 am

Obviously you don't wear contact lenses!
junglesmacks wrote:I've never used any goggles, and I do just fine. Good pair of funkadelic bright red elvis sunglasses has always done me right even in whiteout conditions.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 am

Another item for the shopping list.
Puckmaster wrote:If you are gonna plug the holes use micropore tape is a paper tape you can get it at any drug store will block dust but allow air so u will get less fogging
JK
Elderberry

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:03 pm

jkisha wrote:Obviously you don't wear contact lenses!
junglesmacks wrote:I've never used any goggles, and I do just fine. Good pair of funkadelic bright red elvis sunglasses has always done me right even in whiteout conditions.

Correct. Contact free.

I've just found that carrying around goggles all day got to be a pain, so I said f it and just went with sunglasses. Even in the full whiteout last year one evening (what night was that again?), I was fine even after being trapped deep playa beyond the man and doing circles for 30 mins in a hailed art car. :lol: A little squinty, but fine.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Actually, those goggles are comfortable enough to wear as sun glasses, if I remember correctly.

junglesmacks wrote:
jkisha wrote:Obviously you don't wear contact lenses!

Correct. Contact free.

I've just found that carrying around goggles all day got to be a pain, so I said f it and just went with sunglasses. Even in the full whiteout last year one evening (what night was that again?), I was fine. A little squinty, but fine.
JK
Elderberry

Postby RavenSkylar » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:19 am

wow.. lenses transitions. wow.
RavenSkylar

Postby Mr.Coffee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Just a quick tip from waay back in my paintball days:

If your mask is fogging, you can fold up a bit of paper towel and use it to pad the top foam barrier around your brow ridge. This will create a gap and help keep the mask/goggles from fogging up as badly. when a dust storm plays up, it's a cinch to yank the paper towel out.
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Good idea.
Mr.Coffee wrote:Just a quick tip from waay back in my paintball days:

If your mask is fogging, you can fold up a bit of paper towel and use it to pad the top foam barrier around your brow ridge. This will create a gap and help keep the mask/goggles from fogging up as badly. when a dust storm plays up, it's a cinch to yank the paper towel out.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Raven9940 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am

Maximum Eyewear makes really great goggles. THe one problem is I used the smoke tinted goggles last year and once it got dark I had a really hard time seeing, esp during the dust storms. Make sure if you only buy one pair that it isn't dark.
Raven9940

Postby eureka » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 am

Does anyone have a preference over Black w/Clear to Smoke -or- Black w/Yellow to Smoke?
I'm about to buy myself & my husband some too based on this thread :)
eureka

Postby mazatta » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:09 pm

I believe I went with the yellow to smoke because I read somewhere the yellow is supposed to be better at night. At least I hope it will be, as I ordered 8 pairs :)
mazatta

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear