Playa Boots

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Re:

Postby Raymaker » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:01 am

AntiM wrote:
MisaBlue wrote:The boots are as sexy as YOU make them :)
Those are simple army boots from ordinary army shop I bought from one doctor who served in Afghanistan...in real not sexy at all, but on playa? Hell yeah!

We have the same boots....

You share boots?
Raymaker

Re: Re:

Postby MisaBlue » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Raymaker wrote:
You share boots?

YEAH!!! We are one big happy family!

Re: Playa Boots

Postby Scout_CampYnot » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:59 pm

Scored a pair of used Justin's leather boots for a mere 15.oo right before last years burn, they worked like a charm!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sagan is the MAN.
Scout_CampYnot

Postby unjonharley » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 pm

There are a new pair of ortho shoes being made for me, ready for Xmas.. I'm going to work 'em over on the treadmill this winter.. They should be broke in just right for the playa
unjonharley

Postby Lollipop » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Ok folks. Here's a challenge for you. I'm in the market for a new pair of hiking boots anyway. I can't spend $200+ and I need boots with GREAT SUPPORT as I have issues with foot pain. Pretty much can't walk barefoot anymore. I plan on riding my bike everywhere but I'd like to get a really good boot for the playa that I can stand in for the entire day if need be. I'll put my inserts in them too. I am less interested in fabulous as I am in making it through the long nights and walks with as little pain as possible. I can make them fabulous myself. My goal is to get my feet healthier by August. Ideas?
"You ARE The Good Witch Lollipop!"

http://istoppedtryingtopleaseyou.blogspot.com
Lollipop

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Light and Illusion

Postby fuxyslot » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:05 pm

these are my docs i am planning to wear... what was the deal with the bad combat boot experience? too sweaty?
fuxyslot

Postby MisaBlue » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:08 pm

They are beautiful foxyslot

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:34 pm

curvyburner wrote:Ok folks. Here's a challenge for you. I'm in the market for a new pair of hiking boots anyway. I can't spend $200+ and I need boots with GREAT SUPPORT as I have issues with foot pain. Pretty much can't walk barefoot anymore. I plan on riding my bike everywhere but I'd like to get a really good boot for the playa that I can stand in for the entire day if need be. I'll put my inserts in them too. I am less interested in fabulous as I am in making it through the long nights and walks with as little pain as possible. I can make them fabulous myself. My goal is to get my feet healthier by August. Ideas?

I have foot pain too, arthritis. I scoured ebay until I found a good pair of used desert Bates, fresh back from Iraq. I can't wear them all the time, but I did go on a walkabout by myself in them, with great success (and inserts).
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lollipop » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:43 pm

AntiM wrote:
curvyburner wrote:Ok folks. Here's a challenge for you. I'm in the market for a new pair of hiking boots anyway. I can't spend $200+ and I need boots with GREAT SUPPORT as I have issues with foot pain. Pretty much can't walk barefoot anymore. I plan on riding my bike everywhere but I'd like to get a really good boot for the playa that I can stand in for the entire day if need be. I'll put my inserts in them too. I am less interested in fabulous as I am in making it through the long nights and walks with as little pain as possible. I can make them fabulous myself. My goal is to get my feet healthier by August. Ideas?

I have foot pain too, arthritis. I scoured ebay until I found a good pair of used desert Bates, fresh back from Iraq. I can't wear them all the time, but I did go on a walkabout by myself in them, with great success (and inserts).

Oh thank you so much! I shall look into doing the same then. I appreciate the help! :)

Lollipop

Postby Litup » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:37 pm

I work in a shoe department. Here are some tips:

1. Buy something with arch support, or buy inserts.
2. Don't think that if you try them on and they don't fit right, you can 'break them in'. Leather stretches, but nothing will go from a size 7 to a size 8.
3. You don't need as much extra room as you think. Too much, and you'll wind up with blisters.
4. Those flexible running shoes? Those are for running. They provide no ankle support for walking and not a lot of protection for the bottom of your foot. If you have any sort of back, joint, or foot pain, avoid these.
5. Sweaty feet? Be careful of the UGG style or anything with fur or wool lining. :shock:
6. Be aware that a lot of hiking boots that are on sale right now have winter lining. Make sure you can remove it.
7. You often get what you pay for when it comes to lasting quality. However, you can find some really comfy shoes at great deals! They just fall apart after a few months (which is no problem if they are only for BM).
8. Don't wear fancy-pretty shoes and complain about your feet hurting. It will make everyone resent you.
9. Wear your shoes/boots around a couple months before introducing them to the Playa. That way, you'll know how they feel after a 16 hour day.
10. Buy comfy shoes/boots and dress them up! Their are lots of websites that teach you how to mod you clothes. Google it! :D
Litup

Postby Lollipop » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Litup wrote:I work in a shoe department. Here are some tips:

1. Buy something with arch support, or buy inserts.
2. Don't think that if you try them on and they don't fit right, you can 'break them in'. Leather stretches, but nothing will go from a size 7 to a size 8.
3. You don't need as much extra room as you think. Too much, and you'll wind up with blisters.
4. Those flexible running shoes? Those are for running. They provide no ankle support for walking and not a lot of protection for the bottom of your foot. If you have any sort of back, joint, or foot pain, avoid these.
5. Sweaty feet? Be careful of the UGG style or anything with fur or wool lining. :shock:
6. Be aware that a lot of hiking boots that are on sale right now have winter lining. Make sure you can remove it.
7. You often get what you pay for when it comes to lasting quality. However, you can find some really comfy shoes at great deals! They just fall apart after a few months (which is no problem if they are only for BM).
8. Don't wear fancy-pretty shoes and complain about your feet hurting. It will make everyone resent you.
9. Wear your shoes/boots around a couple months before introducing them to the Playa. That way, you'll know how they feel after a 16 hour day.
10. Buy comfy shoes/boots and dress them up! Their are lots of websites that teach you how to mod you clothes. Google it! :D

Thank you so much!

Lollipop

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:55 am

Excellent list! That's why I went with Bates, the brand has always done well for me.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Ratty » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Yes. Great list! Lots of things I hadn't thought of. Thank you!
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby pink » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:18 am

I need boots that either zip or slip on. I can't handle the feeling of playa crusted laces. I'm usually in a really beat up old pair of birkenstocks, but they're not good for walking.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby troyboyperez » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 am

My girlfriend's thinking of getting a pair of suede Doc's. How does suede fair on playa? They're "oiled suede" if that makes a difference...
troyboyperez

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 am

troyboyperez wrote:My girlfriend's thinking of getting a pair of suede Doc's. How does suede fair on playa? They're "oiled suede" if that makes a difference...

It gets dusty, you brush it out. Never really gets de-playafied though, will always retain traces of dust.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby VultureChow » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:22 am

pink wrote:I need boots that either zip or slip on. I can't handle the feeling of playa crusted laces. I'm usually in a really beat up old pair of birkenstocks, but they're not good for walking.

I'm looking at Ariat Fatbabies. Like a low, rounded toe cowboy boot. They look great and I hear they're pretty comfortable.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:58 pm

I am a comfortable shoe fanatic, have long narrow feet and not all shoes fit properly. The best boot I have ever found is the Ecco Track 5 boot. I am 55 years old, worked a 10 hour shift on my feet all day long and then drove 1 1/2 hours to shop for new shoes. I tried on these boots at the first store I came to and they felt like an old pair of slippers, no exaggeration at all! I have had Doc Martins and a number of other boots but none have been as comfortable as these. I wore them every single day of work, 7 days a week as the caretaker of a ski resort on Mt. Hood in snow and ice and flooding and hiking, and they lasted me for over 6 years. I am on my second pair, worked in Lake Havasu City, AZ outside in the extreme summer heat for 2 years, about 6 months in Alaska, a year in Montana, every minute outdoors and walking, and they are still just like new. They are not cheap but for my money they are worth every single penny for the comfort they provide. I also suffer from plantar fasciitis and still these boots do not hurt my feet. I paid $215 bucks for my first pair and found the second pair on Ebay in European sizes for cheaper but I see them on sale on the USA Ecco website for $159 and that is a good price for a pair of boots that literally fit my feet like an old pair of slippers. Just sayin:-)
inthecolumbiagorge

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:06 am

ok so maybe a question you can help me with. I have these boots. The part you see leaking water if i get them wet so yeah. the soles are still on. What would you recondite to fix them? I am bringing these and my these plus some flip flops. (2nd pic skinny black boots are not the problem ones the leather ones are. They are comfy I wear them for about 12 hours and fit my calfs for a change)

maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Thorormr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:22 am

tattoogoddess wrote:ok so maybe a question you can help me with. I have these boots. The part you see leaking water if i get them wet so yeah. the soles are still on. What would you recondite to fix them? I am bringing these and my these plus some flip flops. (2nd pic skinny black boots are not the problem ones the leather ones are. They are comfy I wear them for about 12 hours and fit my calfs for a change)

If it is rubber that is damaged you can repair it much like patching a bike tire. Rough up the surface with a rasp, (if you don't have a patch kit try a callus remover) clean it with acetone or nail polish remover then apply cement and a rubber patch. If you've never patched an inner tube try shoe goo. Low temp hot glue will also work if you preheat the boot with a hair dryer. Another old trick is to melt monofilament fishing line, but the hot glue is safer. Liquid electrical tape might work too, though I never tried it.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Little Pony's Saloon and Flop House

Postby Ratty » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 am

I just ran across some boots I'ld never seen or thought of. Snow shoes. To see them, search DEREON Stella on ebay. I like the looks of them. There were several pairs for under $20 including shipping and they would be so easy to dress up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Elorrum » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:44 pm

I like carolina shoes, and Merrell, for work standing on concrete all day. I just bring the tired ones to the playa.
I got these a few years ago, but havent' worn them much, Twisted X. I've been wearing them on the weekends to break them in more. depending on the playa surface, if the bike's not easy to ride, it's time to do some walking.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby organizedchaos » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:02 pm

I wore a pair of knee high steve madden (slip on) cowboy-esque boots that i had already broken in throughout the summer. i'm not really a combat boot type of girl, and i loved having the boot come up a little farther than mid calf. Got some dr scholls for the interior and a new pack of socks from target and i was thrilled with the way it worked out.

:D
The answer is never no.
organizedchaos

Postby Fufa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Can motorcycle boots be good playa boots? I'm learning to ride, and after dropping moolah on courses and other gear cash is a bit tight. I want a pair that does double duty, but has anyone heard of ones that are comfortable enough for lots of walking? I'm looking at zippered ones that go mid-calf.
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Lassen Forge » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:27 pm

I have a pair I use for both, they rock - comfy, keeps the dust out and looks good. As long as you can walk 10 miles a day in them, you're golden!!! Only thing I did was pull the pucks to expose the air vents - keeps your tootsies cooler if you wear them during the day, but put them back on when I realized I usually wore them at night.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Thorormr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Fufa wrote:Can motorcycle boots be good playa boots? I'm learning to ride, and after dropping moolah on courses and other gear cash is a bit tight. I want a pair that does double duty, but has anyone heard of ones that are comfortable enough for lots of walking? I'm looking at zippered ones that go mid-calf.

You might look into a pair of the military jungle boots. Plenty of support for riding, and definitely made for long days of walking, the jungle boots are cut a tad loose for when feet swell in the heat. I've got a pair of Wellcos with lightning laces in black that polish up well but bake my feet in the sun. I'll be hitting the surplus store for the desert version. Some have the zipper.

It's been my experience that good riding boots usually suck for walking. However I did have a pair of Double H harness boots with steel toes I used to ride and work in; I work on concrete for 12 hours a day and typically walk around ten miles (usually more) a day, verified by pedometer. They trashed my back and hips after a year so I upgraded to Carolinas, but that's a different topic.

Whichever you get, wear them everywhere, especially in the rain. If they don't feel like sneakers after a month or two they won't ever. Though you may look into those super heavy work or hiking socks, but it might be too tight in the boot with them.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Postby Fufa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Yah, unfortunately that seems to be the case. Good for riding is bad for walking, and good for walking is bad for riding. I'm not a fan of military gear. They don't have zippers, but I'm going to go check out these boots later this week. They're a little too pricey for me though. We shall see.

Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Thorormr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Fufa wrote:Yah, unfortunately that seems to be the case. Good for riding is bad for walking, and good for walking is bad for riding. I'm not a fan of military gear. They don't have zippers, but I'm going to go check out these boots later this week. They're a little too pricey for me though. We shall see.

Some do have the zipper. These are Wellcos with the zip, and intended for hot weather.

Just sayin'. You'd have to shop some to get a decent price on Wellcos though, my last pair came from a surplus store.
Thorormr

Postby ygmir » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:24 pm

I'd sure love to find a comfortable, affordable pair of 20" inch boots in mens 14........seems they all stop at 12.......except the 300 dollar ones............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Thorormr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:36 pm

ygmir wrote:I'd sure love to find a comfortable, affordable pair of 20" inch boots in mens 14........seems they all stop at 12.......except the 300 dollar ones............

You mean like these?
http://sonofsandlar.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Captain-Teach.jpg

(yeah, I know those run $500+)
Thorormr

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear