PLAYA FASHION - What works? What doesn't?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby Rilopie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 pm

My boyfriends outfit of choice at bm is a muumuu...he has a ton of them.
confidence and willingness to be a total goof ball is what is sexy to me.
Rilopie

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Fufa » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm gonna wear what ever I feel like wearing on the playa. Only way it differs from at home is I go a little more crazy and wear a little bit less. Not something I can necessarily do at home, because getting stared at all the time is not fun.

I have plans of wearing a tutu (so standard, of dear!). I made it, it's rainbow, and it matches the one I made for my man. We like rainbows.
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:59 am

Now, how do we tell if her costume was a hit? One way and her friend is now going to videograph this, is how many guys hit on her during the night? Another way is how many females compliment her?

Any other suggestions?

How do you tell if the costume was a hit? Start with her opinion, not other people's. It's a hit if she enjoyed wearing it. Or if she felt powerful or different, or more "herself" wearing it. Or if she felt some way that she'd never felt before. That encompasses a lot of different ideas, as it should.

The number of guys that look is not a good measure of a hit, unless she's 18+ & you want her to just walk naked or topless, which is of course, totally valid. It certainly guarantees a lot of looks. (Though not as much as in the real world, 'cause a significant portion of the ladies are doing it on one day or another.)

But Burning Man is a place you can wear whatever you want, and someone there will think it's the best thing ever, and ideally that person will actually be her, followed by some likeminded people. That would be the best memory.

The default world is full of people who already just want you to look a specific kind of sexy, and you have 51 weeks a year to hew close to that. (Well, I do. I admit that I live in a moderate sized town, and you might not.)

I'd say: Run with creative stuff you can't get away with anywhere else. And look at the 2011 theme camps to see what kind of theme parties they're having.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Sham » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:30 am

Eric wrote:I wear loose loud "clown" pants & t-shirts during the day (my "Almost Fuckable" shirts have been there every year I have), suits & ties at night. I wear both at home as well (my physical therapist loves the clown pants)

Eric, is this YOU? You're a funny guy!
Sham

Postby graidawg » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:59 am

I avoid fashion like the plaque, my only costume for Bm will be the hellraiser style dress, made for a friend and given to me for halloween about 8 years ago. plus a lab coat becauase i like them. I used to have an awesome duster i inherited from my dad but some fuck stole it.

on the sexy look thing a friend sent me a pic of her with bed hair to show how aweful she looked but her come to bed eyes made it so damn sexy, she thinks i'm just saying it to try get her into bed but like TnT said its in the eyes.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:32 am

Fufa wrote:I have plans of wearing a tutu (so standard, of dear!). I made it, it's rainbow, and it matches the one I made for my man. We like rainbows.

You can tell when someone's wearing the uniform, and someone's just wearing a tutu.

Eric - agree with everything you said, including the sadness. Though mine had more eye-rolling.

VCG: "Sexy on the playa for me= Clunky work boots, a thick layer of playa dust, calloused hands, a volunteer staff lam, a beard, and no bull shit."

Me + you + gin = man hunt :P

Though I'll take the ones without beards. I'm sure NOBODY would want to see us wrestle...
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:48 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Fufa wrote:I have plans of wearing a tutu (so standard, of dear!). I made it, it's rainbow, and it matches the one I made for my man. We like rainbows.

You can tell when someone's wearing the uniform, and someone's just wearing a tutu.

Eric - agree with everything you said, including the sadness. Though mine had more eye-rolling.

VCG: "Sexy on the playa for me= Clunky work boots, a thick layer of playa dust, calloused hands, a volunteer staff lam, a beard, and no bull shit."

Though I'll take the ones without beards. I'm sure NOBODY would want to see us wrestle...

*drooling*

*note to self to bring fruit salad*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elorrum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:00 am

ygmir wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:

*drooling*

uh oh, ygmir, I just flashed on a reason for the fire truck: Is it mud wrestling?
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:12 am

“People dressed in a certain kind of clothing are never wrong. Also they never fart.â€
C.f.M.

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:40 am

Elorrum wrote:
ygmir wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:

*drooling*

uh oh, ygmir, I just flashed on a reason for the fire truck: Is it mud wrestling?

NO.

you are close, to my ultimate, evil (if not hilarious) plan...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:43 am

One year, we all wore Arab robes. they're very comfortable, but if you try and ride a bike, the hem gets all torn up.
Righto, wear what you like, and whatever is practical: khaki shorts, boots, T-shirt, good hat etc. Some theme camps have theme nights for parties and once you're clued into those, these are good things to focus your costumery around.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:56 am

One year, we all wore Arab robes. they're very comfortable, but if you try and ride a bike, the hem gets all torn up.

Heh, yeah, I suppose tutus are popular for a reason, actually. :D

I wore a lot of long dresses last year and just wore "social underpants" (stuff I didn't mind flashing) and tied each dress into a rose on my hip before I rode. Am thinking of an amusingly complicated rigging system with clips and garters to arrange such dresses this year, because sometimes complicated is fun.
Savannah

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:18 am

Savannah wrote:

Heh, yeah, I suppose tutus are popular for a reason, actually. :D

I wore a lot of long dresses last year and just wore "social underpants" (stuff I didn't mind flashing) and tied each dress into a rose on my hip before I rode. Am thinking of an amusingly complicated rigging system with clips and garters to arrange such dresses this year, because sometimes complicated is fun.

It's not complicated. You can even just buy them - skirt garter, dress garter. The clips for backs of dresses and cardigans work, too (google sweater clip). Me, if I'm in long skirts I just hoof it. Way too much trouble to finagle them all up to keep free of chains.
C.f.M.

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:26 am

No, I know, but thanks for making sure I did. :) I see lots of spring clips and garters at the fabric store. Elastic and a little thread; done. I bring in "complicated" because it would be fun to make something elaborate and embellished.
Savannah

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:25 am

C.f.M. wrote:

Done and done. You have NO idea.

And you're right. NOBODY would want to see us wrestle...
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:30 am

Savannah wrote:No, I know, but thanks for making sure I did. :) I see lots of spring clips and garters at the fabric store. Elastic and a little thread; done. I bring in "complicated" because it would be fun to make something elaborate and embellished.

I have a very long skirt that I use d-rings and those springy velvet rope clip things whose names are escaping me. I put the d rings on the skirts or on the underneath inside edge would work as well, and the clips on the waist band. It worked really well.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby mthyer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:23 pm

My favorite last year was a dude who wired a bunch of tiny LEDs all over a suit. They were spaced about 2 or 3 inches apart and out on the playa at night he looked BRILLIANT!
mthyer

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:48 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:I have a very long skirt that I use d-rings and those springy velvet rope clip things whose names are escaping me. I put the d rings on the skirts or on the underneath inside edge would work as well, and the clips on the waist band. It worked really well.

This sounds like a great "bondage" skirt I had back in the 80's: huge black skirt with d-rings all around the bottom (and a couple about knee height) and lots of clips on the waist. You could manipulate it endlessly. Oh, memories...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby delle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:09 pm

Savannah wrote: Am thinking of an amusingly complicated rigging system with clips and garters to arrange such dresses this year, because sometimes complicated is fun.

Oooh, ooooh. Pullies. You need some pullies!!!!
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby Donna Matrix » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Eric wrote:
Donna Matrix wrote:Now, how do we tell if her costume was a hit? One way and her friend is now going to videograph this, is how many guys hit on her during the night? Another way is how many females compliment her?

It will be successful if guys hit on her? Really? I see trashy ugly drunks getting hit on all the time- I don't think it's a compliment, I think its just men pointing their dicks at something they hope is obtainable.

I'm sorry, but this statement just makes me sad. Not joking sad, real sad. Neither this nor your previous post have anything about how you & your daughter feel about what you wear- just the reactions you want to get.

Wear whatever you want, do whatever you want. If you think dressing in a way that you think others will find "sexy" is what you want to do, go for it. If you think that only someone else can validate your attractiveness, well, I'm sorry about that, but do what you think you have to Just don't expect me to endorse it..

I can see your point, but that was not my point.

It's sort of like a show or an academic lecture and you want to your audience's reaction.

We don't dress for others, but do like to hear what they think. It's just a bunch of fun. Getting all serious about it is just NOT us.
Donna Matrix

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Donna Matrix » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:15 pm

I can see that some people don't like the concept of playa fashion.

Maybe we should call it playa dress? wardrobe? costumes? threads? coverings?

But regardless, it is the stuff that people wear up there. This thread has given me some ideas.
Donna Matrix

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:37 pm

What? there was cross-dressing in the eighties?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Savannah wrote: Am thinking of an amusingly complicated rigging system with clips and garters to arrange such dresses this year, because sometimes complicated is fun.

Oh oh Savanna THANK YOU for this! I was going through the back of my lingerie drawer last night and came across a frilly garter belt I never wear anymore because real silk stockings are too hard to find. But it might just solve my cloak + bicycle problem, thank you, all of you (yes you too, Eric!).

8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby tamarakay » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:40 pm

I plan on wearing lots of tutus. I've always wanted to have one, but for one reason or another, I never had the opportunity. I put one on a couple of months ago and felt magical and sexy. I've always wanted a corset too. I'll more than likely wear one of those too. But I was thinking corset with these really cool harem pants that I made.

Genuine from the heart smiles and self respect are the sexiest outfits.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Elderberry » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:02 pm

There used to be a camp called Fairy Land that did tutus at two. They had all the supplies and you made your own tutu. The have since disbanded, but I think Celestial Bodies does something similar.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Donna Matrix wrote:I can see your point, but that was not my point.

It's sort of like a show or an academic lecture and you want to your audience's reaction.

It's not a show or academic lecture- it's sexy clothes. There is a definite difference between seeing if your audience is paying attention or understanding your theory and seeing if men are slobbering at your thong.

Like I said- wear what you want. I certainly do, and some of my clothes are shlubby, and some are fantastic (at least I think so). It's also nice if someone notices one of the suits, but I'm perfectly happy if they don't.

Personally I would rather see a 60 year old woman naked and having a blast than a 20 year old in a "Sexy Bikini"- one represents freedom, the other is just bringing the gender roles of Defaultia into BRC.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:11 pm

If you're worried about what you're wearing, sorry, you got the brown acid.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby gaminwench » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:47 am

...couch couture?

playa couture?
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby C187 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:09 am

delle wrote:

Oooh, ooooh. Pullies. You need some pullies!!!!

Fully endorsing this.
*Now plotting what mundane things to do with a Savannah puppet.*
C187

Postby Donna Matrix » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:55 am

So... I am making a lot of fringe apparel and crocheting a lot of fishnet like thigh highs............. I am concentrating on accessories. Although since I make up my own patterns, I am making some really hot dresses also.

I just bought a new serger, so I can now do rolled edges and a bunch of other stitches.

I was thinking of making extra hats to give away. I think that might be a hit. What do you guys think?
Donna Matrix

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear