PLAYA FASHION - What works? What doesn't?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby Savannah » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:31 pm

You're like a spider in a web, C, lying in wait.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:45 pm

C187 wrote:T-shirt, check
Jeans, check
Shitkickers, check
Formal black button up shirt, optional, but check.

Getting asked every year if I'm new or if that's what I wear in default, not priceless. - Making the person who asked feel like an douche-nugget, however is.

I love you, C.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby ygmir » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm on the search for a tux, with tails.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby LittleJack » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:14 pm

ygmir wrote:I'm on the search for a tux, with tails.......

I love wearing mine on the playa. In fact, after a friend's long and rather inspired diatribe about shirtcocking, I decided to go tailcoatcocking. Looked just as stupid, but oh so much classier! :)

This year I'm working on tarting up one of my rattier tailcoats with lights - I've already put LED's into a cheap top hat, so it would be nice to have the tails to go with it.

-Little Jack
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby Donna Matrix » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:07 pm

So, in other words........... since past encounters have told me so... I'm sexy... and it doesn't matter what I wear.... this is way cool.

And give me free license to wear anything. Which of course I do. This does excite my imagination.
Donna Matrix

Burning Since: 2004

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Trishntek wrote:The way skirts give flowing freedom and unbound dangly bits makes me wonder why it is not more common.

The explanation I heard has something to do with riding horses.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Trishntek » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:32 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Trishntek wrote:The way skirts give flowing freedom and unbound dangly bits makes me wonder why it is not more common.

That makes sense,,,, a HUNDRED YEARS AGO! Kilts are cool, but few men have legs I really wanna see in default society. And I do mean in everyday life,,,, in reference to the playa???? LESS IS BETTER for both genders!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby dr.placebo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:39 pm

In the heat of the day I'm one of the unfashionable sarong wearing guys. I'm well past the point where I'm dressing for some random person's delight. If the sight offends, turn away.

That's what works for me.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:07 am

dr.placebo wrote:In the heat of the day I'm one of the unfashionable sarong wearing guys. I'm well past the point where I'm dressing for some random person's delight. If the sight offends, turn away.

See- you I would probably love in a sarong. You're not going for sexy, you're going for comfort. From there all the rest follows.

I wear loose loud "clown" pants & t-shirts during the day (my "Almost Fuckable" shirts have been there every year I have), suits & ties at night. I wear both at home as well (my physical therapist loves the clown pants)

I couldn't look sexy with a gun to my head. Well, maybe with a gun to my head, it would give me that "dangerous" energy...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:49 am

dr.placebo wrote: I'm well past the point where I'm dressing for some random person's delight. If the sight offends, turn away.

This. Thank you doctor. Half my clothes are either made by me or ripped apart & reassembled. I'm so far from fashionable I can't even see it from here. My clothes are loaded with pockets, feel great against my skin and stay out of my way, that's what I care about.

But y'all go ahead and have fun. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby RangerTurtleDove » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:10 am

Eric wrote:
Donna Matrix wrote:Okay MEN..

What is sexy dress on the playa? What turns your heads for that second look?

For me most of the people who try to look "sexy" come off just looking samey & boring. The inevitable shopping trip to Playa-R-Us to buy a fake-fur bikini, a cowboy hat, a utilikilt, some fake-fur boot covers & maybe a leather thong of some sort. Oh, don't forget the fairy wings, and shirtless men in sarongs. Sure haven't seen that before every year on thousands of people.

The person who captured me this year was fully clothed in the most boring khaki you could imagine. An utter lack of "fashion sense", but he was completely comfortable with who he is.

Sexy comes from the person, not the clothes.

Yup. It really is the person not the clothes. Give me an intelligent mischevious charmer in a potato sack over a model in a monkeysuit anyday. although I admit, Khaki can be pretty damn sexy !!
RangerTurtleDove

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:24 am

Eric wrote:I couldn't look sexy with a gun to my head. Well, maybe with a gun to my head, it would give me that "dangerous" energy...

Totally disagree. I saw you at the MnG and was in lurrrrrv, before even knowing who you were.

Sexy on the playa = work boots and dirty hands (just like in real life).

Also, Ranger get-ups. :wink:
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Donna Matrix » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:50 am

Yea... but....

See, I love to sew, knit, crochet,,, etc. So this is my fun. Creating outfits that get me and my daughter outrageous attention.

I'm all for comfort and work clothes in real life, but I want some splash on the playa. For me it's all about style and having fun.

Plus, I love wearing things I could never wear in real life or I'd lose my job kinda thing. I am making some pretty weird stuff.
Donna Matrix

Postby Sail Man » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:26 am

Kilt by day, drover coat by night. Throw in a tacky hawaiian shirt and I'm stylin LOL
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Kilts are cool, skirts are better, they let the air flow better. I have a variety of skirts, from Hawaiian to crepe black skirts. They are the most comfortable thing out there and can be pretty fashionable.

Shirts are like skirts, getting airflow during the day really helps, Aloha shirts and such are awesome for this.

At night, dress up, long coats can be awesome, lighting sewed into coats, hats and pants can we awesome. I always like a nice comfy hat for night, keeps my head warm. Usually accented with lights!

Comfortable shoes for walking and dancing....

ps- did I use the word awesome enough?????
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:11 pm

GravyBrain went formal last year when we played Center Camp Wednesday night

Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Galaxo Magic wrote:Kilts are cool, skirts are better, they let the air flow better.

Kilties are like shirtcockers, execpt they cover their shortcomings. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Sexy on the playa for me=

Clunky work boots, a thick layer of playa dust, calloused hands, a volunteer staff lam, a beard, and no bull shit.

Really, sexy is people just being themselves, in whatever expression that takes...

Well, and the above.
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Mojojita » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:29 pm

What is sexy casn take many, many forms. What's NOT sexy for women = corset and tutu standard costumes (ho hum); for men = being too loud or obnoxious when drunk.
Mojojita

Postby C187 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:52 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:Sexy on the playa for me=

Clunky work boots, a thick layer of playa dust, calloused hands, a volunteer staff lam, a beard, and no bull shit.

Really, sexy is people just being themselves, in whatever expression that takes...

Well, and the above.

Ah, so what I'm reading is I just need to grow a beard. Because everything else is covered. *thinks about it* mm.. Yeah, not going to happen. It's not for a lack of beard growing, it's just that Danny Bonaduce looks more manly in a beard then I do.

I do however hear story's of an almost fuckable man somewhere in the ring around center camp. Apparently he's bent, and not slanted. :lol:
C187

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:32 pm

C187 wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:Sexy on the playa for me=

Well, and the above.

Ah, so what I'm reading is I just need to grow a beard. Because everything else is covered. *thinks about it* mm.. Yeah, not going to happen. It's not for a lack of beard growing, it's just that Danny Bonaduce looks more manly in a beard then I do.

I do however hear story's of an almost fuckable man somewhere in the ring around center camp. Apparently he's bent, and not slanted. :lol:

Oh C, you tickle me so. I cannot imagine you with a beard. Pictures are required. Go.
VeganChoirGirl

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Trishntek wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

That makes sense,,,, a HUNDRED YEARS AGO!

Men's fashion hasn't changed much since the early 1800s on certain levels. Especially powerful men's fashion. They don't have to adapt to the buffets of style.

Mmmmmmm. Buffets....
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Donna Matrix » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 pm

I broke my ankle - Yes, so unfortunate for me - so my daughter is wearing my costume to some burner parties. She is "trying" the costumes out. She went to Fur Ball this last weekend.

Now, how do we tell if her costume was a hit? One way and her friend is now going to videograph this, is how many guys hit on her during the night? Another way is how many females compliment her?

Any other suggestions?
Donna Matrix

Postby sputnik » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Sexy is attitude. It doesn't matter what they're wearing, it's about how they carry themselves and how comfortable they are in their skin.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby jcliff » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Last time I brought a cheezy purple flowered housedress to wear to a white trash breakfast and it was so comfortable and awesome that I wore it for like half the Burn. It's comin back this year.

On a side note....I could go the rest of my life without seeing one more woman in fur bikini top, hot shorts, fur leg warmers and bunny ears. That look is emerged as the default uniform for Burning Man.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Donna Matrix wrote:Now, how do we tell if her costume was a hit? One way and her friend is now going to videograph this, is how many guys hit on her during the night? Another way is how many females compliment her?

It will be successful if guys hit on her? Really? I see trashy ugly drunks getting hit on all the time- I don't think it's a compliment, I think its just men pointing their dicks at something they hope is obtainable.

I'm sorry, but this statement just makes me sad. Not joking sad, real sad. Neither this nor your previous post have anything about how you & your daughter feel about what you wear- just the reactions you want to get.

Wear whatever you want, do whatever you want. If you think dressing in a way that you think others will find "sexy" is what you want to do, go for it. If you think that only someone else can validate your attractiveness, well, I'm sorry about that, but do what you think you have to.

Just don't expect me to endorse it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Trishntek » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Sexyness is in the EYES
with that wanna-know-you kinda smile

The rest is just ICING on the Sexymeter.
Trishntek

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Trishntek wrote:Sexyness is in the EYES
with that wanna-know-you kinda smile

The rest is just ICING on the Sexymeter.

da bluffn goodoo........specks sin rebbi net..........daba dinglux.....

about all I could say to her, given that look
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elderberry » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:29 pm

God that was funny!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Trishntek » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Trish and I both got a good chuckle out of that! :lol: :lol:
Trishntek

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear