Best way to protect hair?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:45 pm

OK. So, I have very long curly hair. It's mid back (not as long as Ms. Robbidobbs, however). In addition my hair is VERY VERY VERY dry. Like...wash it once every couple weeks dry.

Year one I didn't do ANYTHING...BIG mistake. I came home with ONE GIANT DREAD on the the back of my hair and the dust made my hair hang straight and lank. When I came home, even though I tried to cover my hair and keep it up, it was in a sad state. So I cut off all the damaged parts and ended up with shoulder length hair. Not a happy camper.

Year two I did French braids and I washed my hair every other day. It HELPED, but it was still bad.

This year I am headed out for my longest trip yet, 18 days on the playa, and I need to try something new. I ordered synthetic double ended dread extensions which I will install the night before I leave. From what I have heard, they work really well in protecting the hair from damage. This might be a good option for you.

Hope that helps!
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby dcweas » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:10 pm

I have very fine, very thin hair. Last year it was past my shoulders. A braid on me just looks sad, so I put it in a french twist under my hat. After 4 hours, with the playa dust, I could remove the bobby pins and the french twist stayed in place...
It was our first year, and our only means of hygiene was baby wipes, so I had to leave it at that. When we left, we stayed at a hotel midway back, and I bought some Pantene professional level damage repair ampoules. I used 3 of them, and got my hair into a comb-able state.
This year I am going short (already have). With thin, fine hair I don't think I have any other options! But we are also bringing a shower :)
dcweas

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:19 pm

I have butt-length straight hair and have been wondering if a hair glove would help.

I think I have seen a few hair gloves in the videos. Any reports of how well they work?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:20 pm

How about shoving a hat over your hair or wrapping it in a rag?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:How about shoving a hat over your hair or wrapping it in a rag?

Well, you might not understand this, but some of us like the way long hair feels against our bare skin.

Personally, I find it delicious. If I can't have that particular pleasure on playa, well okay then I can't. But maybe I can. Worth a try, anyway.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:18 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:How about shoving a hat over your hair or wrapping it in a rag?

Well, you might not understand this, but some of us like the way long hair feels against our bare skin.

Personally, I find it delicious. If I can't have that particular pleasure on playa, well okay then I can't. But maybe I can. Worth a try, anyway.

Yeah I love the feel of long hair against my bare skin, too. ;)
Let me know when you're in town.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ellenoche » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:56 am

I agree with MyDearFriend. I, too, enjoy having my hair down. My hair is straight, thin and fine with very little volume.

Year one: my boyfriend warned me so I donated 12 inches to locks of love and was left with hair a little over my shoulders. Just enough to tie up with no problem. I pretty much had it tied up with a bandana during the day and down at night.

Year two: hair midway down the back. I carried scrunchies and butterfly clips in my back pack. on dusty days, my hair was covered, otherwise, it was down. the dryness and dust made volume I've lacked in the default world.

Year three: hair a little past my shoulders. Thanks to Astral Headwash, I was able to get three sessions of hair washing and scalp massaging. It felt so good. It was this year that I learned to keep the hair covered while drying. Also, brushing and keeping it in a loose braid until almost fully dried helps prevent tangling.

Year four: hair midway down the back. french braid in the day time and down by sunset. too bad astral headwash wasn't around this year. But we made an evap pond so I had a shower 6 out of the 10 days we were there = )

I try to donate 12 inches every other year to Locks of love.My hair is already to my waist and I will not be cutting my hair for BM 2011 (I attempting to grow past my butt). I am hoping the bangs I had cut will grow out by August. Anyways, I figure, if just keep on doing what I've done in the past, my hair will be down as much as possible.
Little Ray of Sunshine
ellenoche

Postby robotland » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:55 am

MyDearFriend wrote:I have butt-length straight hair and have been wondering if a hair glove would help.

I think I have seen a few hair gloves in the videos. Any reports of how well they work?

I USED to have butt-length hair....unfortunately, it started at my waist.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby graidawg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:59 am

MyDearFriend wrote:

works for me too! unfortunately i look like the worst kind of yokel from yokelhampton in the borough of yokely in yokelshire, whoes name is yokel ab yokel ap yokel. (yokel son of yokel son of yokel) and is studying morris dancing

edited to add thats what i look like with long hair, because i am such a yokel i forgot to put it in the first time (see and my hair is barely shoulder length right now)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:56 am

ellenoche wrote:I agree with MyDearFriend. I, too, enjoy having my hair down. My hair is straight, thin and fine with very little volume.

Year one: my boyfriend warned me so I donated 12 inches to locks of love and was left with hair a little over my shoulders. Just enough to tie up with no problem. I pretty much had it tied up with a bandana during the day and down at night.

Year two: hair midway down the back. I carried scrunchies and butterfly clips in my back pack. on dusty days, my hair was covered, otherwise, it was down. the dryness and dust made volume I've lacked in the default world.

Year three: hair a little past my shoulders. Thanks to Astral Headwash, I was able to get three sessions of hair washing and scalp massaging. It felt so good. It was this year that I learned to keep the hair covered while drying. Also, brushing and keeping it in a loose braid until almost fully dried helps prevent tangling.

Year four: hair midway down the back. french braid in the day time and down by sunset. too bad astral headwash wasn't around this year. But we made an evap pond so I had a shower 6 out of the 10 days we were there = )

I try to donate 12 inches every other year to Locks of love.My hair is already to my waist and I will not be cutting my hair for BM 2011 (I attempting to grow past my butt). I am hoping the bangs I had cut will grow out by August. Anyways, I figure, if just keep on doing what I've done in the past, my hair will be down as much as possible.

See there now you have given me hope! I am used to bunning my hair up half-wet in the morning, for the Nurse Tidy Professional look, and then shaking it out as I arrive home in the evening to greet my dear husband with the Exotic Dancer vibe. We've been married for 31 years today, and, that is how that works. 8)

Ugly Dougly wrote:Yeah I love the feel of long hair against my bare skin, too. ;)
Let me know when you're in town.

O/A 28 August, I believe... Doc Pyro will know. :wink:

graidawg wrote: ... is studying morris dancing...

Grai have you learned the Stick and Bucket dance? I have always been real curious about that.

MyDearFriend

Postby graidawg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:11 am

MyDearFriend wrote:

Grai have you learned the Stick and Bucket dance? I have always been real curious about that.

THIS IS OUT OF CONTEXT!!!!!!! I HAVE NEVER MORRIS DANCED NEVER! NOT ONCE! DESPITE WHAT CERTAIN VIDEOS ON YOU TUBE MAY SUGGEST that person just looks like me

and even if i did know about the stick and bucket dance, which i don't, its illegal to do with women, so i'm told, not that i know anything about it because i am not a morris dancer and dont even know what moris dancing is anyway OO LOOK OVER THERE AT THE SHINY THING!!!!

"Graidawg exits stage left"
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:36 am

I know of that dance. :wink:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:55 am

MyDearFriend wrote:I am used to bunning my hair up half-wet in the morning, for the Nurse Tidy Professional look, and then shaking it out as I arrive home in the evening to greet my dear husband with the Exotic Dancer vibe. We've been married for 31 years today, and, that is how that works. 8)

Congrats, many, many more! We hit our 30th in Oct, but after reading this I believe there may be an ultimatum in the offing if we're going to see 31. :wink:
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 am

JB, you're cleared to get into Black Rock City from 2 p.m. Saturday, August 27th. Trust me, there's a reason we have time limitations but this is not the proper forum for that particular discussion.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby lucky420 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:14 pm

My Dear Friend,

Congratulations on your 30th... :lol:
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:34 pm

graidawg wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:

THIS IS OUT OF CONTEXT!!!!!!! I HAVE NEVER MORRIS DANCED NEVER! NOT ONCE! DESPITE WHAT CERTAIN VIDEOS ON YOU TUBE MAY SUGGEST that person just looks like me

and even if i did know about the stick and bucket dance, which i don't, its illegal to do with women, so i'm told, not that i know anything about it because i am not a morris dancer and dont even know what moris dancing is anyway OO LOOK OVER THERE AT THE SHINY THING!!!!

"Graidawg exits stage left"

Just remember, you're Guest of Honor at the Upper Mill Rushcart Festival this year.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:53 pm

lucky420 wrote:My Dear Friend,

Congratulations on your 30th... :lol:

Thanks! It's been a great ride so far. 8)

Sic Pup wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:I am used to bunning my hair up half-wet in the morning, for the Nurse Tidy Professional look, and then shaking it out as I arrive home in the evening to greet my dear husband with the Exotic Dancer vibe. We've been married for 31 years today, and, that is how that works. 8)

Congrats, many, many more! We hit our 30th in Oct, but after reading this I believe there may be an ultimatum in the offing if we're going to see 31. :wink:

Remind me, when I see you, to reveal my husband's Two Rules for A Happy Marriage. :wink:

MyDearFriend

Hair Care

Postby altius88 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:34 pm

Hair Care it very useful to all viewers but i need to know more if you want that visit below website

Hair Care
http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Lifestyle/hair-care.html
altius88

Postby shroom » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:51 am

kitkatseattle wrote:Thanks for the revelation smart ass! I did do that. Anyone with anything to say that doesn't suck?

My hair was awful after this year too. (my first) I brushed my hair everyday and after the night of the bad dust storm in which I was hatless, I had to try to wash it at camp with a bucket and jug of water. Not great but got some out. When I got to the hotel on my way home I washed and conditioned it twice and it felt fine.

When I come in 2012, (can't make it this time) I plan on always having a hat handy and using leave in conditioner each day, I forgot that last time.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Fufa » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:40 pm

I've got wavy, thin hair that hits the middle of my back. It's also rather limp, so by the 2nd day last year it ended up so weighed down that it stayed in a high bun then rest of the burn. I had it wrapped in a yarnfall, which protected and added some decoration. Still took 3 good shampoo/conditioner cycles at 5 am when I got home to clean, but I can live with that. I would prefer to have free, flowing hair this year (or something that feels like it), so I might try braids + tied on dreadfalls.

I also use spray-on hair "sunscreen" all summer long, not just at BRC. It can be a bit hard to find, but I definitely recommend it in addition to good conditioning treatments. I use Phyto Plage Protective Sun Veil, which doubles as styling spray for messy beach waves. Fekkai used to make one too, not sure if they still do.
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby erbal » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:42 am

I found that after a week on the playa my dreds were in fantastic condition, really knotty & smelled just like playa dust :o
erbal

Postby Turnip » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:39 am

I just realized this the other day.

Go to the drug store.
By a mid quality hair dye kit.
(I recommend Nice and Easy brand)
Take out your supplies.
Throw everything out but the hair conditioning treatment.
Grasp the tube of liquid gold and laugh manically.
You can now combat Playa Hair Syndrome.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby hookahdude » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:22 am

Sorry - can't help - I shave my head....
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:51 am

Turnip wrote:I just realized this the other day.

Go to the drug store.
By a mid quality hair dye kit.
(I recommend Nice and Easy brand)
Take out your supplies.
Throw everything out but the hair conditioning treatment.
Grasp the tube of liquid gold and laugh manically.
You can now combat Playa Hair Syndrome.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5S4-RYgJ48[/youtube]
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Packoderm » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:12 am

I could go for wearing a turban - but what style? Why not a different style each day?

Packoderm

Postby westnileraven » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:08 pm

I wore braids. My hair is fine but curly and wild. I felt totally unlike myself with tiny braids plastered to my skull, no matter how many ribbons I wore. It sucked. I took them out one day before I left, and in minutes, I couldn't distinguish by texture my hair from the ratty fringe on the headscarf I was wearing. It recovered at home.
This year I am making provisions for head soaking and I will probably rely on silicon shine products and oils.
I might just get an awesome wig that looks like me and ruin that instead. But I need a little wind on my scalp now and then.
I've dropped vinegar on the playa before and it burned like Alien's blood. I would not do that acid base chemistry on my hair. Water is acidic enough to fizz that shite.
We shall see. wrap it up in a dust storm, let it be otherwise. Soak it before passing out and all hail burts bees grapefruit shampoo.
westnileraven

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear