Best way to protect hair?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Best way to protect hair?

Postby kitkatseattle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 am

I went in 2010 for my first time, and when I came back, my hair was a whole different and nasty texture. Dry and about to break off. Does getting extensions/dreads put in help protect your hair for later? Or do they just make it easier when you're there because you don't have to deal with your hair at all? Otherwise, any tips would be nice.
kitkatseattle

Postby Elderberry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:48 am

How about just washing it when you shower, followed by conditioner? Duh.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby kitkatseattle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks for the revelation smart ass! I did do that. Anyone with anything to say that doesn't suck?
kitkatseattle

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:56 am

I shave my head before heading out to they playa, but I suspect that might be a bit extreme for you.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby DanusLight » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 pm

kitkatseattle wrote:Thanks for the revelation smart ass! I did do that. Anyone with anything to say that doesn't suck?

*like button*
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:16 pm

kitkatseattle wrote:Thanks for the revelation smart ass! I did do that. Anyone with anything to say that doesn't suck?

Well, we don't know anything about you (are you male? female? other?) or your hair, other than the fact you don't like how it feels when you get back. I shave my head except for my beard, very valid option for a lot of men, not so much for a lot of women.

Jkishka's answer is perfectly valid if you have a full shower set-up in your camp that you use. Just because it might not work for you personally when we don't know you is no reason to act like an ass to him.

Anyway, this gets covered a lot, by which I mean constantly, so here's a couple of threads you might want to look through:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33056
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=32971
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33926
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=8560
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=10164
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:27 pm

I wash and condition my hair once out there, as close to dusk as possible to reduce the likelihood of a storm happening immediately afterward, and try to keep it covered ("try" being the operative word--I could do a lot better). When I return to the default world, I like to use conditioners that have no alcohol and that don't move when you turn the bottle upside-down. Pudding, basically.

Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor (available from Beauty Supply stores):
http://www.aphogee.com/Keratin_2%20_Min ... Recon.aspx

And "Hair Mayonnaise" available from Safeway or Walgreen's:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/organi ... 03-product

And I let this stuff sit in my hair for like 20 minutes with a hooded terrycloth robe on, pretending to be the Emperor Palpatine. (It's a look.) A little olive oil will also restore some softness and shine to your hair, but be judicious--my hair is probably much drier than yours. However, when you return from the playa, overconditioned is better than underconditioned.

You can also find threads about hair by clicking on "Search", then entering search terms and cues like:

hair AND conditioner

and selecting

Q&A Tips & Tricks

from the dropdown menu to confine your search to this forum rather than searching the whole site. That got me three hair threads immediately. I don't know if conditioner is what you want, you might prefer to search by:

hair AND dreads
hair AND dreds
hair AND covered
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks Eric.

I don't mind the snark, I was actually being a bit sarcastic in that I couldn't understand why it would be any more difficult to take care of hair there than anywhere else.

Still seems like a no brainer to me though. ;)
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:10 pm

jkisha wrote:Thanks Eric.

I don't mind the snark, I was actually being a bit sarcastic in that I couldn't understand why it would be any more difficult to take care of hair there than anywhere else.

Still seems like a no brainer to me though. ;)

Some hair does become problematic on the playa. I know mine does. Even a good evap set up does not handle the type of heavy conditioner required for some types of long hair. Just makes muck.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Mojojita » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:22 pm

I have longish hair and it gets to a point in a day on the playa that it is nearly impossible to get a brush through it. What works for me is to use a good leave-in conditioner after washing, despite it feeling a little mucky. For me, leaving the dry playa dust in my hair for long periods seems to be what does the lasting damage so I put mine up in a clip to keep more of it away from the dust. Covering it is a very good idea. Also, try using a little bit of vinegar in your rinse water.
Mojojita

Postby geospyder » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I shave my head before heading out to they playa, but I suspect that might be a bit extreme for you.

Ditto
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Postby Elderberry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:30 pm

geospyder wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:I shave my head before heading out to they playa, but I suspect that might be a bit extreme for you.

Ditto

LOL me too. I shouldn't even be commenting in this thread! :)
JK
Elderberry

Postby Rilopie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:33 pm

I don't know form experience, but I've heard that braiding you hair can be problematic too. From what i've seen the tight braids with fabric or fake hair are a nightmare to take out and can damage the hair pretty bad. A friend of mine left her braids in for about a month and her roots started to dread!
I've been trying to figure what the heck i'm going to do with my hair since its pretty long and already damaged from dying it all the time... I'm thinking two french braids that I can tuck up into wigs, wraps, or bandannas if i need some coverage.
Rilopie

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Turnip » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:34 pm

I took no precautions in 2009 and I after the first half of the first day I couldn't run a brush or even my fingers through it. At the time I had a long length hair, and it's naturally very thin.

Working the tangles out resulted in a brush full of hair and a lap full of broken hair as well. I hated it.

I then proceeded to pull it back under a lightweight scarf and knot it and wrap my head up in a sort of turban that I wore the rest of the time I was there, even when sleeping. It saved my having to deal with it the rest of the week but after a few days it started to itch terribly, especially when I'd sweat.

I was almost afraid to look at it when I was finally able to shower. I'm quite sure, given another day or two, I would have had dreadlocks. Not cool ones, but a lump hanging off the front of my head (what used to be my bangs) and a lump hanging off the back (the rest)

I took a very long time soaking my head in warm water, and used almost a whole bottle of conditioner working the knots and built up dust out of my hair as carefully as possible. One upside was the first combing of my hair after the week on the playa was absolutely orgasmic.

Then I showered twice, the first time leaving the conditioner in my hair and wrapped in a towel to bake for about an hour. I also stayed away from any and all hair products for a few months afterward. No curlers, flat irons, anything like that. Also let my hair get a bit greasy before the next wash, to let some natural oils soak back into my hair.

This year I will be either cutting my hair to chin length, or getting mirco braids. Perhaps both, I don't know. I just don't want to go through what I did my first year again!
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Mojojita wrote: Also, try using a little bit of vinegar in your rinse water.

Or lemon or lime juice, same effect on hair, feet, skin, etal ......... slightly different effect on noses.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:51 pm

jkisha wrote:
geospyder wrote:

Ditto

I shave my head, but I have similar problems with my long beard. I just use No Rinse shampoo on it ever day to keep the dust build-up down and then condition the fuck out of it when I get home. It takes a week or so not to be dry, but I know that before I head out.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Sail Man » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:27 pm

jkisha wrote:
geospyder wrote:

Ditto

Well, your hairy palms are your ticket into this thread :lol:

:P

And yes, another guy here who whacks off most of his hair, everywhere. Sorry Eric :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby phil » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:45 pm

jkisha wrote:
geospyder wrote:

Ditto

I don't have to shave my head. I just keep it in this here mohawk.
phil

Postby kitkatseattle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Eric wrote:

Well, we don't know anything about you (are you male? female? other?) or your hair, other than the fact you don't like how it feels when you get back. I shave my head except for my beard, very valid option for a lot of men, not so much for a lot of women.

Jkishka's answer is perfectly valid if you have a full shower set-up in your camp that you use. Just because it might not work for you personally when we don't know you is no reason to act like an ass to him.

Anyway, this gets covered a lot, by which I mean constantly, so here's a couple of threads you might want to look through:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33056
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=32971
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33926
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=8560
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=10164

Eric, I am female and have naturally curly hair past my shoulders. I figured with the word "duh", I could answer how I wanted. Yeah, shaving my head is not an option. If there is anything else you would like to know about me, just ask. Thanks for all the thread recommendations, I will check them out!
kitkatseattle

Postby Boijoy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:48 pm

I like this kid! :lol:

Ok, Im a gal & I get the shortest haircut I can live with before I go. That way i use less water. I do wash my hair everyday out there. It's so refreshing.
I know ladies with long hair that keep it in a braid the whole time so they don't have to mess with it. Not sure how that "works out" ( get it? ) when they get home. Lots of other options including keeping it covered in a wrap or keeping it all up in a hat, etc. etc. & if your going to wash I have heard you can add vinegar to your wash water to break down the alkalie for a better cleaining.
my 2 cents.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby kitkatseattle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Savannah wrote:I wash and condition my hair once out there, as close to dusk as possible to reduce the likelihood of a storm happening immediately afterward, and try to keep it covered ("try" being the operative word--I could do a lot better). When I return to the default world, I like to use conditioners that have no alcohol and that don't move when you turn the bottle upside-down. Pudding, basically.

Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor (available from Beauty Supply stores):
http://www.aphogee.com/Keratin_2%20_Min ... Recon.aspx

And "Hair Mayonnaise" available from Safeway or Walgreen's:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/organi ... 03-product

And I let this stuff sit in my hair for like 20 minutes with a hooded terrycloth robe on, pretending to be the Emperor Palpatine. (It's a look.) A little olive oil will also restore some softness and shine to your hair, but be judicious--my hair is probably much drier than yours. However, when you return from the playa, overconditioned is better than underconditioned.

You can also find threads about hair by clicking on "Search", then entering search terms and cues like:

hair AND conditioner

and selecting

Q&A Tips & Tricks

from the dropdown menu to confine your search to this forum rather than searching the whole site. That got me three hair threads immediately. I don't know if conditioner is what you want, you might prefer to search by:

hair AND dreads
hair AND dreds
hair AND covered

Thanks Savannah! I tried searching for just "hair" before and didn't find anything on the first page that sounded useful. I did condition when I was there, but I will try covering it and letting it sit this year. :)
kitkatseattle

Postby kitkatseattle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Turnip wrote:I took no precautions in 2009 and I after the first half of the first day I couldn't run a brush or even my fingers through it. At the time I had a long length hair, and it's naturally very thin.

Working the tangles out resulted in a brush full of hair and a lap full of broken hair as well. I hated it.

I then proceeded to pull it back under a lightweight scarf and knot it and wrap my head up in a sort of turban that I wore the rest of the time I was there, even when sleeping. It saved my having to deal with it the rest of the week but after a few days it started to itch terribly, especially when I'd sweat.

I was almost afraid to look at it when I was finally able to shower. I'm quite sure, given another day or two, I would have had dreadlocks. Not cool ones, but a lump hanging off the front of my head (what used to be my bangs) and a lump hanging off the back (the rest)

I took a very long time soaking my head in warm water, and used almost a whole bottle of conditioner working the knots and built up dust out of my hair as carefully as possible. One upside was the first combing of my hair after the week on the playa was absolutely orgasmic.

Then I showered twice, the first time leaving the conditioner in my hair and wrapped in a towel to bake for about an hour. I also stayed away from any and all hair products for a few months afterward. No curlers, flat irons, anything like that. Also let my hair get a bit greasy before the next wash, to let some natural oils soak back into my hair.

This year I will be either cutting my hair to chin length, or getting mirco braids. Perhaps both, I don't know. I just don't want to go through what I did my first year again!

I know how you feel Turnip, my naturally curly hair can turn into dreads pretty quick in normal life if I don't prevent it!
kitkatseattle

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Boijoy wrote:

I thought it was funny, too. If Jkisha had been a sweetheart, it would have been a rude response, but she was just returning it in kind . . .

:lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Savannah wrote:
Boijoy wrote:

I thought it was funny, too. If Jkisha had been a sweetheart, it would have been a rude response, but she was just returning it in kind . . .

Yup and no offense taken either. (Though I have to admit the the "duh" was sort of provoked by her mention of dreads, which I don't understand nor like.)
JK
Elderberry

Postby kitkatseattle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:45 pm

jkisha wrote:
Savannah wrote:
Boijoy wrote:

Yup and no offense taken either. (Though I have to admit the the "duh" was sort of provoked by her mention of dreads, which I don't understand nor like.)

No love lost here JKisha! I've seen on eplaya that not returning those remarks invites more remarks. I was talking about the fake dreads that some girls get woven into their hair like extensions. I've never had either, which is why I was asking if it helps on the playa.
kitkatseattle

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Once again I look at this thread through a fish-eye lens of other experience, thinking only of when my hair fell out in clumps. (September 07, if you care, and no, the playa was not involved.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby geospyder » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Wear a hat...
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 pm

My first year I got out of the car in a pony tail upon arrival and got hit with my very first white out. My hair was a big mess the rest of the week. I basically molded it into a cute pony tail or bun every day.

last year I tried wearing it in braids but got bored of having my hair in braids after 4 days. I took it out and let it be kinky and free that night and washed it the next day. a quick shampoo out there is pretty easy, leave in conditioner is awesome out there. If you dont want to have the lap full of broken hair trying to brush it out, do something to keep it from getting tangled (braid, dreads, hats, etc) and try to wash it once or twice out there. TeaFarie has a great tutorial on YouTube where she makes dreads from beautiful ribbons and it leaves her hair undamaged during the event.

Good luck, and check out Tribe's Burning Woman page and the links above. Theres tons of info if you look hard enough. <3
LindseyRaeFace

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Here we are again. This thread comes up every year.

I have butt-length straight hair. When I jump off the pavement, and am chilling at will-call, I braid it back in one, tight braid. I put a sleeve from a t-shirt over my head as a hairband. Then I cover my head with a prairie-bonnet. During the week, at some opportunity, I get to bathe. I wash my hair and then put mane n tail conditioner in it - leaving it in while I bathe the rest of my crunchy body. At the finish, I rinse out the conditioner. I then comb it out completely with a de-tangler comb (a wide tine comb). Finally, I braid it back again, put on the sleeve & bonnet, and get back to work. This takes less water than one would expect.

In short: keep it covered.

Curly hair probably would do better with multiple braids though. YMMV.

Good luck.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie-Project
Dept of Excremental Correctness
DPW: Volunteer Coordinator, Special Projects (Porta-potties)
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby Risky » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:27 pm

I have curly thick hair down past my shoulders.
I wash and condition it at least every other day, and use a leave in conditioner, and then a wide toothed comb to get out the tangles.

Keeping your hair covered is best.

I hear braids/dreds are just as high maintenance, just in a different way, although I have never tried them.
Risky

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear