carrying stuff

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby Da Mule » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Maybe he's wondering where to stow lip balm like this.

Da Mule

Postby kman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Eric wrote:Weirdscience_ there's a great thread somewhere on the board called "things you wished you had known your first time" of something similar- find it. Read it. A lot. It will cover lots of your questions.

As for this question- in SF I use a bike messenger bag. On the playa you couldn't give me enough money to use anything with straps- no bag, no backpack, no camelback. I find them all hot & irritating and haven't used them since my first year.

My preference is a Pod Belt- I've been using one since my second year and will probably use one as long as I go.

If I could fit everything on a pod belt that I can in my camelbak (including fluids), I'd be all over it. Cool looking, but I require more stuff with me when out and about.
kman

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:31 pm

I carry a water bottle on each side, and my pouch has contact drops, power bar, kleenex, lip balm, ID, pen, paper, schwag, sun block, day goggles, night goggles......

I can seriously fit a lot into the large pouch.

Plus they look cool.

They are, however, an occasional pain to deal with in the JOTS....
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby TomServo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:57 pm

http://www.hessenantique.com/Y_Straps_p/hage015.htm

All you need then, is a german....or east german belt, and two 8mm rifle cartridge pouches....sets of 3. Pouches are greay for storing trash!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:25 pm

My biggest thing with not carrying a backpack is that I get cold and then hot again depending if I've wandered into a bass camp and am dancing, or then wander back onto the playa and get starry eyed in deep playa. I need a spare fleece jacket with me at all time that I can take on and off. Also, I drink at least a gallon of water each night when I'm out. Having a gallon of water dangling off me is kind of annoying..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Camelback-style bladders/sip units can fit into many commercial bags, packs.

Commercial backpacks, belt packs, leg packs, armpacks, even bikepacks can be covered with safety pinned on fur or other fabric. Unpin at home and wash and you can use the pack in normal mode the rest of the year, dust free.

Having traveled internationally, the pack never leaves my body, except in private, and never gets lost.
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:56 pm

weirdscience wrote:i guess ill shut up now since all i seem to get is snark no more questions from me

I'm sorry. While I am seeing a disproportionate level of snark, you do seem to be one of the few newbies on the board right now (at least who's asking questions), and most of us are cranky because we're getting over the event.
I offer it as explanation, not excuse. Maybe knowing that will make a difference.
In six more weeks, you'll be seasoned enough to dish out some snark too. Or at least engage in the teasing/bonding thing that goes on on this board.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Elorrum » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:54 pm

I've got a belt sort of like this one that I've seen on dog training sites, and as a shotgun shooters pouch belt. Also I think the MOLLE system belts from military surplus are interesting as you can attach a lot of different things to them. lots cooler than a backpack. Still, I'm at war with pockets... too many locations for rummaging, and I haven't gotten a system down as to where things go specifically. pockets and ziplocks, friend or foe?
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby robrob » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:53 pm

i was a at a party this weekend, and saw some crustpunk/raver hybrid chick wearing some homemade leather utility belt type thing with her tail clipped on it.

i immediately snapped a mental picture and stowed it away. it was real badass.

(she was pretty badass looking in general, but thats another thread...)
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm / endor

Postby Snow » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:01 pm

sounds hot, can you send me a copy of that pic?
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:11 am

I hate wearing backpacks. I loved my belt last year, from Blue Moon, and this year I custom designed one to carry everything. It was awesome, I love it.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby kman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Eric wrote:I carry a water bottle on each side, and my pouch has contact drops, power bar, kleenex, lip balm, ID, pen, paper, schwag, sun block, day goggles, night goggles......

I can seriously fit a lot into the large pouch.

Plus they look cool.

They are, however, an occasional pain to deal with in the JOTS....

I carry 4 liters of water any time I leave camp for the day (or evening)... 3 liters in the camelbak, and a spare 1 liter bottle in the pack. That's the biggest issue.

Add in candy, snacks (cliff bars, etc), a knife, various flashlights, sunscreen and lip balm, a very compact toolkit, and sometimes a fleece jacket (at night) in case of cold, day/night goggles, camera, spare SD cards and batteries, a mug for gifted beverages, shade hat, and a small towel (of course) and misc other things, and I definitely have more heavy junk on my than I want swinging on a belt. I can dump my backpack on the ground and flop down next to it any time... after wearing an uber-multi-pocket belt for years at faire, and never being able to sit easily without dealing with junk behind me (remember my stool? I had a reason for it!), and I've grown leery of too much stuff on a belt. The 4 liters of water alone pretty much precludes belt-based gear stowage for me, let alone the rest of it.

It doesn't have to be an actual camelbak backpack, of course, but significant storage and a way to attach my camelbak bladder in a non-swingy way is pretty essential.

The ~1500 cu in cargo capcity of my CamelBak HAWG 500 is a starting point for me... I don't go smaller than that. (I attach my camera case to the molle webbing, so it's not even inside)

Nothing wrong with decorating your packs, of course. :) I have big EL wire plans for next year.
kman

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:44 pm

kman wrote:... after wearing an uber-multi-pocket belt for years at faire

Ha! I think you just told me why I like my belt! I actually loved having all my crap hanging from my hips at faire. Especially when it made lots of noise. Hmmm. Need to make my belt noisier next year......

I also only carry 2 liters of water on me- one on each hip. Sometimes I rig a 3rd on the bike. My booze cup hangs from the belt as well.

and now I'm outed as a faire geek. Oh, the shame! *heh*
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Eric wrote:

Ha! I think you just told me why I like my belt! I actually loved having all my crap hanging from my hips at faire. Especially when it made lots of noise. Hmmm. Need to make my belt noisier next year......

I also only carry 2 liters of water on me- one on each hip. Sometimes I rig a 3rd on the bike. My booze cup hangs from the belt as well.

Plus, you kinda like sitting on stuff...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:
Eric wrote:

Plus, you kinda like sitting on stuff...

HAHAHA!
Gotta pull out the booyah kid again, for that one-
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGIo8oaMHfY[/youtube]
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:57 pm

I know this joy. :lol:

On the way two and from the burn I criss-cross layered two brown leather belts, one with the truck's keys caribeenered to the buckle, the other with the buckle turned to the side, with a small (12 oz) stainless canteen similarly clipped on. Sometimes the sanitizer got clipped on there too, etc . . .

Once I was onsite I had to carry my larger canteen all the time, but it was way more fun than is seemly to carry some stuff on the hip. I felt so functional.
Savannah

Postby RichieRiot » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:48 am

velcro covered clothing
RichieRiot

Postby lucky420 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:45 pm

use your teeth
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby brushfire on the playa » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am

weirdscience wrote:well i forgot to say no back pack but i guess if you wanna carry a lot of shit i guess its the only way i found a bad ass one with a camelbak already in it , also i have bought el wire to light me up real good , and to the person who asked in a dust storm at night if i could find my way back... yes i would for one i have a great sense of direction and two i would have a compass always have one of those and three i would walk my happy ass to the man figure out which way camp is and if my tent blew away... eh screw it ill sleep on the floor http://www.dakine.com/snowboard/packs/s ... o-dlx-20l/

i guess ill shut up now since all i seem to get is snark no more questions from me

i don't seem to think before i post also its not a good idea for me to post something at 328 in the morning while im sleep deprived

To clarify, the person writing you about the dust storm is probably referring to a dust storm where you can't even see your hand in front of your face, let alone locate the man from deep playa. Also, I hope you don't think that if your tent blew away you could just leave it and forget about it, letting it become moop for someone else to have to hawl away.

Sorry, didn't mean that to be rude, just thought it would be good to clarify what the other poster was most likely referring to. :wink:
i'm on the playa, bitch!

bigger and better next year, every year...
brushfire on the playa

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Miso Horny

Postby gaminwench » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:00 pm

I have 3 camelbaks, different capacities; 2 pod belts and a bike basket.
In a small, zippered, carabinered bag, I put the 'necessities' (chapstick, smokes, lighter, gum, ashtray) - then switch this from pack to belt as needed (keeps from having to go 'in' the pack for quick stuff).
Each backpack,/pod belt/bike basket has one-time or back-up supplies...
power bars, one-ply, notepad/sharpie, flashlight/blinky, playa cup, gift patches, scarf tied on(for dust mask), lighters, sunscreen(which I never need out there?), gift ashtrays...

I find that this enables me to be ready quickly when something shiny/blinky goes by that I want to chase...
and I also have fashion choices!
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:58 pm

All that work just so you don't have to dig...

/roll eyes
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby gaminwench » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:59 pm

no work, really!
I'm ready to roll, right NOW!
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby lambert13 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm

I just bought a cheap waist pack. Never thought I would do that. It is relatively small, has a few pockets and I can attach carrabiners to it. I figure that wearing it with the pack on my rear instead of front will make it easier on the bike.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby baconqurlyq » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:59 pm

I'm playing around with an idea I got from a friend who has been burning for about 10 years now. He took an old pair of jeans and cut them so just the waist and the front pockets remained. So, no matter what you're wearing, you can have pockets.

I just had my favorite jeans wear out in the crotch, so I cut them up and I sewed some nice fabric on them. We'll see how that goes!
Popped the playa cherry!
baconqurlyq

Postby lucky420 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:57 pm

does he wear anything else underneath? just curious... :lol:
lucky420

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:54 pm

You are skirting awful close to having to say TMI, you know.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Snow » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Wow y'all carry a LOT of stuff, how about less stuff instead of a bigger bag?
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby lucky420 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Come on now Fishy, you know I can't be the only one thinking along those lines...I just aked the inappropriate question out loud.
lucky420

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 pm

*displays chagrin*
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear