Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby EmilyD » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:51 am

Sorry, ePlaya burped on my last post and duplicated it.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Orchid » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:44 pm

EmilyD wrote:
FaeTora wrote:Orchid, Emily, all of you are amazing gifted.

Thanks for sharing!

Actually it's just plain old practice and hard work that does it for me FaeTora. I think most humans are gifted in some unique way. Just gotta find out what way we each are and then run with it. ;-)

Thank you FaeTora!
Spot-on, Emily! :)
Orchid

Postby moonrise » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Air brush on my Tuxedo

I want to use some high quality, air brush fabric paint with some small amounts of fine glitter in it.
Is this considered MOOPY?

It would require rough treatment for any to fall off, i e if someone were to attempt with determination to scrape it off with their fingernail...it is durable paint.

I only want to add some ~sparks~ to my ~fire~ design which will run up the Pant Legs and on my Vest and Shirt
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby caveatlector » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Oh! Hey... I figured I should post an update about my actual costume project.... I'm actually almost done after a ton of hours sewing and swearing.

Eeeeh? Pretty good. I fear the jodphurs a little, but that's only because I've got surplus ones that are wool. I might need to add... erm... speed holes.
caveatlector

Camp Name: Arctica Ice Sales

Postby moonrise » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:46 pm

RED sweeet looking! I LOVE red! My favorite color! keep up the good job!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby trystanthegypsy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:36 pm

caveatlector wrote:Oh! Hey... I figured I should post an update about my actual costume project.... I'm actually almost done after a ton of hours sewing and swearing.

Eeeeh? Pretty good. I fear the jodphurs a little, but that's only because I've got surplus ones that are wool. I might need to add... erm... speed holes.

HAHAHAHHAHA

Canada FTW!!!@!!!
trystanthegypsy

Postby EmilyD » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:12 pm

caveatlector wrote:Oh! Hey... I figured I should post an update about my actual costume project.... I'm actually almost done after a ton of hours sewing and swearing.

It's FAB!!! "Aye!" ;-)
EmilyD

Postby FaeTora » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Can I borrow you? Thats amazing! You are just amazing! That looks great! (you thought i'd say amazing again).
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby Joe Buck » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:25 am

I love this part about preparing for BM, the inspiration just took hold. I welded a towing hitch AND made a kilt in the same weekend! I have had a bug in my ass about making a kilt for a while. I have a real highland kilt but it is way to warm (and heavy) to wear at BM. I used some paisley brocade type fabric that was on sale at the fabric store and it came out not too bad. It will be a lot more comfortable than wool it's hot out!

Joe Buck

Postby MisaBlue » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:01 am

Very nice kilt JB! :)
MisaBlue

Postby trystanthegypsy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:05 am

SWEET I love it!! nice abs too ;)
trystanthegypsy

Postby lucky420 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:39 am

nice legs...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Joe Buck » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks for the complements! but I'm embarrassed to confess that at my advanced age the abs are probably more an optical illusion or a trick of the light, and part of the reason I made a new kilt is that I can barely squeeze into my real kilt anymore!
Joe Buck

Postby EmilyD » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:48 am

Joe Buck wrote:Thanks for the complements! but I'm embarrassed to confess that at my advanced age the abs are probably more an optical illusion or a trick of the light, and part of the reason I made a new kilt is that I can barely squeeze into my real kilt anymore!

Great job Joe Buck! I love the back pleats and the buckle! I hope you have some pockets in there?!?
EmilyD

Postby jella » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:53 pm

SEXY SEXY
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Simple Halter Top Tips?

Postby SilverFly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:01 am

I have a question that I wonder if any of you could help me with.

I have one yard of beautiful rainbow dinosaur-print stretchy fabric. I *really* want to make a halter top out of it, however I have limited sewing skills. "Limited" meaning I've owned a sewing machine for over a year and have sat down to use it once, leaving me with the knowledge of how to work the machine but nothing about the physics of sewing clothing.

I have searched google for free halter patterns and I've found a couple but am wondering if any of you know of any easy ways to make a halter top? Super bonus points if the top can support DD's (an unreasonable request, I know).

If you have any experiences/opinions regarding halter tops please share.

Thanks!!!!
SilverFly

Postby Joe Buck » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:09 am

EmilyD wrote:Great job Joe Buck! I love the back pleats and the buckle! I hope you have some pockets in there?!?

Thanks for the complements! No pockets on this kilt; real Scotsmen use a Sporran to carry stuff! I'm going to fashion a Sporran from a gold-glittery purse with fur accents :wink:

Can't wait to be home, I love seeing all the costumes people make!
Joe Buck

Re: Simple Halter Top Tips?

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:10 am

SilverFly wrote:I have a question that I wonder if any of you could help me with.

I have one yard of beautiful rainbow dinosaur-print stretchy fabric. I *really* want to make a halter top out of it, however I have limited sewing skills. "Limited" meaning I've owned a sewing machine for over a year and have sat down to use it once, leaving me with the knowledge of how to work the machine but nothing about the physics of sewing clothing.

I have searched google for free halter patterns and I've found a couple but am wondering if any of you know of any easy ways to make a halter top? Super bonus points if the top can support DD's (an unreasonable request, I know).

If you have any experiences/opinions regarding halter tops please share.

Thanks!!!!

Pretty easy. Wrap it around your body, mark the top line across your chest. Cut out the bodice. Cut some straps out of the rest of the fabric. Sew or safety pin it on. The end.
C.f.M.

Postby slvrnmph » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:11 am

Silverfly, have you considered going with a bikini top? It may be easier to get the support you need that way.

You may also want to consider putting elastic in all the way around underneath the bust area to help support your DD's.

With stretchy fabric I highly suggest taking the extra time to pin before you sew.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:11 am

Joe Buck wrote:
EmilyD wrote:Great job Joe Buck! I love the back pleats and the buckle! I hope you have some pockets in there?!?

Thanks for the complements! No pockets on this kilt; real Scotsmen use a Sporran to carry stuff! I'm going to fashion a Sporran from a gold-glittery purse with fur accents :wink:

Can't wait to be home, I love seeing all the costumes people make!

Sporran = holds the front of the kilt down...that's why they wear it where they do...!
C.f.M.

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:15 am

Just saw the part about the DDs.

Get a bra that fits well.

use it to make the bodice

make the straps to attach onto it. however. for support, you should probably get a bra that does the halter style strap, and cover it with your material.

Get a cotton cami halter top with the built in shelf bra.

Sew the fabric over it or cut off the top/halter part to use.

I wouldn't bother trying to do it with a pattern/from scratch.
C.f.M.

Postby Joe Buck » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:16 am

LMAO C.f.M, you have a very dirty mind!
Joe Buck

Postby SilverFly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks for the tips CfM & slvrnmph!! You totally helped me visualize how to do it.

slvrnmph -- you talk about pinning the stretchy fabric. Should I pin/sew it stretched out, or pin/sew it unstretched?
SilverFly

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:06 pm

SilverFly wrote:Thanks for the tips CfM & slvrnmph!! You totally helped me visualize how to do it.

slvrnmph -- you talk about pinning the stretchy fabric. Should I pin/sew it stretched out, or pin/sew it unstretched?

...the way I'd do it, making a hybrid, you just pin your fabric onto the fabric of the top that fits (plain cotton halter tops are really easy to find), or you pin the seams together while you're wearing it.
C.f.M.

Postby slvrnmph » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 pm

I would pin & sew unstretched, unless you are attaching elastic. If you are attaching elastic, pin the elastic to the fabric with both stretched out and sew with it stretched out.

I suggest pinning because with a stretchy fabric it is easy when sewing to have one side get stretched while the other side remains unstretched. Then the fabric ends won't match up and will be wonky. The pinning will keep the fabric matched up correctly, so I feel it is worth the extra time in the beginning.

I suggest pinning with fur and slinky fabrics too for the same reasons.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:21 pm

slvrnmph wrote:I would pin & sew unstretched, unless you are attaching elastic. If you are attaching elastic, pin the elastic to the fabric with both stretched out and sew with it stretched out.

I suggest pinning because with a stretchy fabric it is easy when sewing to have one side get stretched while the other side remains unstretched. Then the fabric ends won't match up and will be wonky. The pinning will keep the fabric matched up correctly, so I feel it is worth the extra time in the beginning.

I suggest pinning with fur and slinky fabrics too for the same reasons.

I think you're overcomplicating it for her, for just a halter top. And, of course, not being sure what you mean by "unstretched." Fleece can be a fairly stretchy fabric.

You'll want to make sure that, lying flat and pinned, it is big enough to fit when it is on you and stretched (however the fabric does).

I don't know if any of this makes sense to you.
C.f.M.

Postby psychoalpha » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:29 pm

Sewing 4" fringe onto my hot pants tonight!

Prepping for Burning Man is such a tough life. :)
psychoalpha

Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Fringe is right up there with sequins and feathers as a moop-maker.
C.f.M.

Die DYE!

Postby caveatlector » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Argh!

I bought surplus jodhpurs the other day that were grey, and I've decided to dye them black to fit my costume--

Unfortunately, even following the directions, I found that they darkened a shade or two darker while all the threads did indeed take the dye.

What did I do wrong? Am I dealing with pants that simply cannot be dyed?
caveatlector

Camp Name: Arctica Ice Sales

Postby jella » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:48 pm

the fabric and the thread are different percentages of cotton. the thread being mostly cotton took the dye better while your fabric might be more synthetic . Maybe try doing it again.
I'm trying to remember what grandma did to prepare fabric to take dye better.. Vinegar comes to mind but I'd have to google it.
http://www.quilt.com/FAQS/FabricDyingFAQ.html
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear