Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby jella » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Thanks.. fitting the bottom was a little tricky.
If anyone tries it from the tutorial don't cut the inside corners off until you fit it inside your basket first I would have made it too small I adjusted and repinned the "triangles"
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:54 am

I covet a Stag patch.

Last night I started trying to piece together some costuming bits...I'm going to need more gin.

at least one corselet
day dress
night cloak
outfits to gift to fellow camp members

I just need one more month... /sigh
C.f.M.

Postby EmilyD » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:56 pm

jella wrote:My bike basket liner :)

Mmmmmm purdy!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:12 am

I spent eight freaking HOURS Saturday, working on something I will probably never wear.

I'm trying to decide what to wear on the bottom of white white corset. Bloomers...hoop skirt...boring ol' garter and thigh highs...

I am going to be a BAD burner...the fleece I found for my cloak has sequins on it. But, I'm going to turn that side insideout, so if any do fall off, they'll be right in the lining, not in the dust.
C.f.M.

Postby EmilyD » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:02 am

C.f.M. wrote:I spent eight freaking HOURS Saturday, working on something I will probably never wear.

I'm trying to decide what to wear on the bottom of white white corset. Bloomers...hoop skirt...boring ol' garter and thigh highs...

I am going to be a BAD burner...the fleece I found for my cloak has sequins on it. But, I'm going to turn that side insideout, so if any do fall off, they'll be right in the lining, not in the dust.
Why not bloomers AND hoop skirt? Or maybe bloomers with a bustle frame (uncovered)? Sometimes sequins just can't be avoided. ;-)
EmilyD

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:20 am

EmilyD wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I spent eight freaking HOURS Saturday, working on something I will probably never wear.

Why not bloomers AND hoop skirt? Or maybe bloomers with a bustle frame (uncovered)? Sometimes sequins just can't be avoided. ;-)

Poor hoop skirt...she got quite tattered on the trip out last year. And, come to think of it, I couldn't pack her anyways. I'd have to make a collapsible one. Not much for mobility, in that one, either.

Bloomers aren't flattering to my figure.

Thinking just a pannier frame, but traveling space/weight...
C.f.M.

Postby EmilyD » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:21 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
EmilyD wrote:

Poor hoop skirt...she got quite tattered on the trip out last year. And, come to think of it, I couldn't pack her anyways. I'd have to make a collapsible one. Not much for mobility, in that one, either.

Bloomers aren't flattering to my figure.

Thinking just a pannier frame, but traveling space/weight...

Yeah hoop skirts take up a lot of space for sure. Oh...a friend of mine made some cool skirts using lycra fabric and a hulahoop. It seems pretty easy to do and simulates a hoop. They're really fun to dance in. Here's a photo in case you want to try it:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/487 ... eefd26.jpg
EmilyD

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:31 pm

Art cars suck?? Want!!

They look awesome, I like your friends.
C.f.M.

Postby EmilyD » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:33 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Art cars suck?? Want!!

They look awesome, I like your friends.

LOL yeah someone brought a bunch of those tees that year. It was a great gag. We wore them as we showed off our artcars.
EmilyD

Postby FaeTora » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:22 am

Does anyone know where to get an old 1930's swimsuit like the ones in A Gay Divorce (1934)?
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:29 am

FaeTora wrote:Does anyone know where to get an old 1930's swimsuit like the ones in A Gay Divorce (1934)?

Make it.

You could try to get an original on Ebay, or an antique clothing site, but it will cooooooost you.
C.f.M.

Postby FaeTora » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:36 am

sthat? ::pouts:: dpnt think I can. but maybe I can find one somewhere cheap. I really want one like one of the ones in the background in A Gay Divorce. I have looked for awhile but they aren't easy to find. but they are pretty.
FaeTora

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:11 pm

FaeTora wrote:sthat? ::pouts:: dpnt think I can. but maybe I can find one somewhere cheap. I really want one like one of the ones in the background in A Gay Divorce. I have looked for awhile but they aren't easy to find. but they are pretty.

I didn't really find any good links. Esther William's line of swimsuits are fairly vintage-looking.
C.f.M.

Postby SilverOrange » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:10 pm

So apparently IllianoWear has closed up shop. As a parting gift they've thrown all of their patterns out for general consumption.

They can be found here:http://www.ilaniowear.com/patterns/index.html

For a limited time they can all be downloaded as a zip file (including the six that have dead links from the Illiano site) here:http://www.tiffanyconst.com/ilanio-patterns.zip
SilverOrange

Postby Orchid » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:39 am

So, I've had this weird spotted jersey knit laying around taunting me, and last night I decided I'd make pants out of it. Why not, right?

My cat helps me lay out the pants pattern:

Tragically, I did not have enough fabric to make pants. No matter how I laid the pattern out, there just wasn't enough.

So of course, the only other logical thing to do at this point would be to cut the fabric into a million pieces and then sew it back together again, yes?

I used poster board to make my "pattern"

In the end, I got a pretty neat wrap skirt.

It was a little time consuming, but that was mostly cutting. I believe I used a yard and a half of fabric.
Orchid

Crafting a painted background...?

Postby caveatlector » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:50 am

Hi all,

I'm still working on my costume-- I just need to get the button holes put in professionally -- but I've been struck with another addition that I'd like to do for my camp, but I'm unsure of how do-able it is:

I'd like a painted backdrop for my camp. I've got 18 feet of 5' 6" wide muslin which I was thinking of cutting into 3 6-foot high pieces, and sewing channels into the edges. Once the backdrop is painted, I'll cut wind holes, mount on re-bar stakes and PVC pipe, and put down a few guy lines for each stake.

So... I suppose my question is this: Is this done on the Playa often? What are the pitfalls of building something like this backdrop? Is the PVC slid over re-bar stakes idea a good one?

Thanks!

Joshua
caveatlector

Camp Name: Arctica Ice Sales

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:53 am

Sounds good to me. Go for it, come back with your book report to read in front of the class after the event.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby thk127 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:11 am

I have a costume question...

I'm a guy that wants to wear a sheet wrapped around my waste, how can i make it not look like a dress skirt? any suggestions...
-=First Burning Man 2010=-
thk127

Postby Orchid » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:13 am

thk127 wrote:I have a costume question...

I'm a guy that wants to wear a sheet wrapped around my waste, how can i make it not look like a dress skirt? any suggestions...

What do you want it to look like?
Orchid

Postby thk127 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:26 am

Orchid wrote:
thk127 wrote:I have a costume question...

What do you want it to look like?

I guess i'm crossed between what looks more masculine. A shorter cloth wrap or a longer cloth wrap. I was told that poofieness* makes it more feminine..:oops:

As for the look, i'm going to be doing some torso body paint. Blue with a blue cloth. I just want to stay as cool as possible and i can't afford a kilt.
-=First Burning Man 2010=-
thk127

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:34 am

You can wear a pink princess poufy skirt and still be masculine. Don't sweat it.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jella » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:33 am

Don't ya hate that Orchid. especially when it's just that much too small.
Tried to tidy up a little last night and my left over zebra fabric demanded to be a hat !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Postby Joe Buck » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:34 am

[quote="SilverOrange"]So apparently IllianoWear has closed up shop. As a parting gift they've thrown all of their patterns out for general consumption.

They can be found here:[url]http://www.ilaniowear.com/patterns/index.html[/url]

For a limited time they can all be downloaded as a zip file (including the six that have dead links from the Illiano site) here:[url]http://www.tiffanyconst.com/ilanio-patterns.zip[/url][/quote]

Wow, thanks for the link. There is enough stuff there to keep me at the sewing machine for months, although maybe too late for this years burn. Too bad Ilianowear has decided to throw in the towel, they have such creative and playful designs. Super cool they are making the patterns available to us. Having a good pattern to start from is a great starting point, eventually folks will take that and change it and create new themes and designs, it's only natural. Now it's time to go forth and mutate!
Joe Buck

Postby Orchid » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:54 am

jella wrote:Don't ya hate that Orchid. especially when it's just that much too small.
Tried to tidy up a little last night and my left over zebra fabric demanded to be a hat !

Seriously. If I had even just 2 or 3 more inches of fabric, I could have pulled it off. But I think the skirt is more fun anyway, so I'll just pretend that's what I intended to do from the start.

I made a zebra hat too! Let's start an exclusive club: Zebra hats only.
Also: citizens of my office (population: 1) demand photos of your zebra hat.
Orchid

Postby jella » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:03 am

Oh I like it... red hats beware !
I have to finish it up tonight and I promise a pick .
jella

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:35 am

RE manly skirt

Go to thrift store

look at plaid skirts

get one that fits

come see me so i can admire your "kilt"
C.f.M.

Postby EmilyD » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:36 am

Orchid wrote:So, I've had this weird spotted jersey knit laying around taunting me, and last night I decided I'd make pants out of it. Why not, right?

-snip-

In the end, I got a pretty neat wrap skirt.

It was a little time consuming, but that was mostly cutting. I believe I used a yard and a half of fabric.

FABULOUS Orchid. That'll be fun for dancing in! Nice job!
EmilyD

Postby FaeTora » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:40 am

Orchid, Emily, all of you are amazing gifted.

Thanks for sharing!
FaeTora

Postby EmilyD » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 am

AntiM wrote:You can wear a pink princess poufy skirt and still be masculine. Don't sweat it.

I ADORE men in pink and in skirts. Princess and poufy are even better! Real men wear what they want! Sames goes for wimmen!
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:51 am

FaeTora wrote:Orchid, Emily, all of you are amazing gifted.

Thanks for sharing!

Actually it's just plain old practice and hard work that does it for me FaeTora. I think most humans are gifted in some unique way. Just gotta find out what way we each are and then run with it. ;-)

I once bought this book called, "Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow." Needless to say the money didn't follow but I still do what I love because life is fucking short!
EmilyD

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear