Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Costume & Crafting Help

Postby AntiM » Mon May 28, 2012 5:10 am

Fantastic idea, and can be used so many ways!
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lazerfox » Mon May 28, 2012 6:00 am

EmilyD wrote:
lazerfox wrote:First step is probably why I haven't. I need to finish 3 other projects. :(

I'm hoping to start sewing at least 2 nights a week starting this week....we shall see how it goes.

Ahhh okay. And, not sure of your organizational set up but if there's a place you can set up the sewing machine permanently or at least for the length of the project (card table in corner even) it will help you from talking yourself out of all the set up hassle each time you decide you're ready to sew something.

So I was totally wrong about the first step, you were right about the organizing. I organized my sewing area and now I know the small quick projects I should finish are more manageable than I thought. now I just need to catch up on some house cleaning and I can start sewing and finishing up some projects. yay!!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Mon May 28, 2012 6:03 am

tattoogoddess that looks so versatile and easy to throw on (or off). Leave it to VS to figure out how to make a rectangle of fabric look so cool!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Tue May 29, 2012 10:57 am

EmilyD wrote:GIT TA WOIK! What is the first step on your robe project? Do you need to make a pattern, or do you have one? Are you ready to cut the fabric or do you need to wash it first? What's THAT FIRST STEP? It's the key to getting going!

I DID IT! I cleaned up my sewing area and fabrics and started sewing over the holiday. First mended all the small quick things (buttons, rips, etc) and then I actually started working on my boyfriend's kimono. Now I just have to make sure my pattern is correct and measure 3 times before I cut the brocade!
Thanks for the encouragement!!
lazerfox

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue May 29, 2012 1:37 pm

So I have a lot of white cotton yarn. My limited knitting ability means I can knit rectangles of various lengths and widths - think scarf vs. headband vs. placemat. I've knit a couple of plain white headbands so far and while they're comfy, they look really "blah."

Any crazy, fun ideas for bands of knitted white yarn? Maybe I should dye them?
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Drawingablank » Tue May 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Dying yarn can look pretty cool but if they are synthetic they may be difficult to dye. Natural fibers are much easier.

Could always add some embellishments afterwards with colored yarn or other stuff.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 29, 2012 6:19 pm

If you go the add colored yarn route, you can pick up interesting bits and pieces at some thrift stores.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Drawingablank » Tue May 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Well here on the east coast second hand yarn is apparently magical or something since thrift stores charge about double what you can buy it for new in the craft stores.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Ah. Well. What can I say. I may be skewed because two of the main thrift stores I shop are not traditional thrift stores. One is for art materials and one is actually a salvage place--there's a whole lot of random crap at both. Also, both of those are pretty loose on prices, and since I buy a lot, or I'm polite, or I'm in a wheelchair, or some other thing that I don't know, they tend to be lax with me. If I knew I was going to do a yarn de-stash soon, I'd offer to send my leavings to ensimismada, but I can't promise anything.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue May 29, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks for the kind offer, cryptofishist.

I've been thinking about the above suggestions to weave in more color and realized the answer was staring me in the face, over in Ratty's costuming thread: dangling strips of old t-shirts. Even if I don't find yarn in the thrift shops, it shouldn't be hard to find interesting fabric to shred.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

BoyScoutGirl

Postby EmilyD » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:51 pm

lazerfox wrote:
EmilyD wrote:GIT TA WOIK! What is the first step on your robe project? Do you need to make a pattern, or do you have one? Are you ready to cut the fabric or do you need to wash it first? What's THAT FIRST STEP? It's the key to getting going!

I DID IT! I cleaned up my sewing area and fabrics and started sewing over the holiday. First mended all the small quick things (buttons, rips, etc) and then I actually started working on my boyfriend's kimono. Now I just have to make sure my pattern is correct and measure 3 times before I cut the brocade!
Thanks for the encouragement!!

YAY!!! I find I always need to clear my work space before I can begin any new project. Not only does it make for more actual space to lay things out, it also clears the mind to prepare for the new ideas to flow. At least that's my theory!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby lazerfox » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Well I have been a good example to prove your theory. :)

I finished sewing the belt for his kimono today. And learned a ton about how to properly work with brocade in the process. Fraying fabric is a PITA! I ordered what I think will be a better pattern than the one I planned on using so I get to take to another project while I wait for that pattern. Gotta keep sewing so I don't get complacent again. Oh and we are moving soon and this new house will have enough space for us to actually have a craft room. An ENTIRE ROOM for all things sewing and craft related!! You have no idea how excited I am about this room! (Well nm you probably do :lol: )
lazerfox

Postby EmilyD » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:58 pm

ensimismada wrote:Thanks for the kind offer, cryptofishist.

I've been thinking about the above suggestions to weave in more color and realized the answer was staring me in the face, over in Ratty's costuming thread: dangling strips of old t-shirts. Even if I don't find yarn in the thrift shops, it shouldn't be hard to find interesting fabric to shred.

You can also weave in bits of ribbon and trim, even metallic yarns for a bit of flash.

What's the link to Ratty's costuming thread? I'd like to check it out.

Now that I've got the go-ahead on tickets (finally!) I can start putting together this communal costume idea of mine. More on that later...road trip to Seattle first.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:04 pm

lazerfox wrote:Well I have been a good example to prove your theory. :)

I finished sewing the belt for his kimono today. And learned a ton about how to properly work with brocade in the process. Fraying fabric is a PITA! I ordered what I think will be a better pattern than the one I planned on using so I get to take to another project while I wait for that pattern. Gotta keep sewing so I don't get complacent again. Oh and we are moving soon and this new house will have enough space for us to actually have a craft room. An ENTIRE ROOM for all things sewing and craft related!! You have no idea how excited I am about this room! (Well nm you probably do :lol: )

Yeah brocade is a bitch! If you can zigzag stitch (or serge) the brocade before you cut it (zigzag just on the inside of the line you're going to cut) it should help hold the fabric together more while you're working with it. It's an extra step but well worth it. Also, if you're ever using a real slippery fabric you can stitch it to some paper, to hold it in place, then tear the paper out after the seam is connected.

A craft room will be GREAT! Designated art/creative space is such a blessing for anyone who can find a way to fit it into their living/working space.
EmilyD

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:37 pm

EmilyD wrote:
What's the link to Ratty's costuming thread? I'd like to check it out.

She may have done others, but I was referring to this thread:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=279&t=53078

Great images of cloth-strip belt-tutus.

BoyScoutGirl

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Ratty's approach is a lot of fun. She also started one about guerrilla ways to get fabric for dirt cheap, but this is the heart of her philosophy.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:49 pm

lazerfox wrote:Well I have been a good example to prove your theory. :)

I finished sewing the belt for his kimono today. And learned a ton about how to properly work with brocade in the process. Fraying fabric is a PITA!

I work mostly with brocades and for fraying I apply liquid fray cheack all around the edge after cutting. It helps a lot.

Drawingablank

Postby lazerfox » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:42 am

Bought another pattern for the kimono. I think this one will work better for what I need than the one I have. It was pretty cheap ($5) so don't feel too bad about having to buy another. Just excited to feel like I'm finally on the right path. :D

In the mean time I need to try to get some progress on other items and then I'll be happy as a clam.
lazerfox

Postby kiss-o-matic » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:20 pm

What's the inspiration for the kimono? I actually bought a stack of men's kimonos I'm hoping to take and have some trade fodder. Easy to find here, but I'm basically a giant so I'll be happy if just one of them fits. The rest, will need to find homes.
kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Please read up on gifting v. trading...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:00 pm

kiss-o-matic wrote:What's the inspiration for the kimono?

Mostly the Japanese.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:25 pm

BM isn't a hippie gathering so there is no trade per se, unless of course you mean for trading off playa.

Drawingablank

Postby lazerfox » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:56 pm

the inspiration for the kimono is my boyfriend wants one and there was a good sale on brocade fabric. And since we live in FL there is absolutely not a chance in the world that we will find one anywhere for cheaper than the fabric to make it.
lazerfox

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:23 am

I have a teabox full of wedding kimono... one of which actually makes it to the playa now and then. Not really wearable, we have used it as a tent cover. Not this year, too dusty I think.

We do have yukata which make terrific throw on in the morning wear. But those are cotton, blue n white. I have a marvelous black on with gold butterflies I found in a thrift shop, brand new. Touristy polyester. so I'm wondering if it will be playa wearable of not. Too warm.

Basically, kimono are pretty and romantic. So yeah, why not kimono?
AntiM

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:20 pm

I like jimbei, but then I've always been a bit of a tomboy. Jimbei are less hassle to put on (well, only if you're bothering to wear kimono/yukata properly are those much of hassle) and they don't restrict movement as much, as they have shorts:

BoyScoutGirl

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Larry had a couple of those, but he wore them out. The shorts never fit him properly.
AntiM

Postby kiss-o-matic » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Was just curious. My stack arrived, and shockingly enough, they fit. Really weird for me here. Caveat is they have no obi, but I can probably score something that'll work. These are mainly for summer use, and most of Tokyo is balls hot in the summer. The real trick will be getting a pair of hakama that fit!
kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Postby delle » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:17 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:For those who can not sew....

Totally on this for a dress or two for BM

This got me to thinking about my own favorite recipe for a simple rectangle of fabric. One that saved my shoulders from being badly burned when sunscreen was no longer enough -- but actually getting dressed was not what I wanted to do. It also was perfect for just the right amount of warmth in the early evenings. Put these two things together (the above "dress" and my shrug), and you've got a perfect longsleeve dress for any occasion!!!

I got a tad wordy with what's supposed to be a simple explaination, so I figured I'd just draw you a picture:

Please excuse the placement of my boobs. They've so long ago lost their original position that I guess I couldn't remember where they were supposed to go!
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:02 pm

delle! I love both those ideas!

BoyScoutGirl

Postby wandergirl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:06 am

hi all! I thought about starting a new thread, but this one serves the same purpose. I would love some costume brainstorming help on a few different things.

1. is there anything playa-friendly one can use to spike/hawk hair that also won't inadvertently turn it into one gigantic dreadlock for the remainder of the week?

2. I'm making (bat, bird, butterfly, something) wings out of armature + EL wire. but I also wear a camelbak at night. any ideas how to wear them both? ideally, in such a way that I can access my camelbak without too many loopy-headed gymnastics?

3. I've made a bunch of clay horns and antlers, like these. but I've discovered any that aren't tiny want to flop over when I tie them on my head. any way to troubleshoot the ones I've already made? (with only ribbonholes in the bottom?) like, attach them to something, somehow? I could also make more with armature wire embedded inside and affix it to something. (what?)

yay costuming!
★ ☆ ✰ inspiration ✰ ☆ ★
wandergirl

Camp Name: dust & stars

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear