Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Costume & Crafting Help

Postby lazerfox » Fri May 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Let's just say that I never realized that my sig picture + my eplaya name = random email from guy looking for furry camps.

And when I politely told him I had no clue and that he should've kindly asked first if I was even a furry (vs. making assumptions), he became holier-than-though and gave me his impression of how life should be lived. :lol:
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby EmilyD » Sat May 12, 2012 1:32 pm

AntiM wrote:If I ever upgrade, it will be to this tarted up Singer:

http://www.joann.com/singer-160th-anniversary-sewing-machine-/zprd_11457413a/

Probably not the best machine, but it is soooo prettty shiny.......

That, or I'll get mom's old Pfaff serviced and running again.

DAMMMNNN that is a beauty AntiM! Definitely the best of both worlds/time periods. My mom had one of those old black Singers. I opted for Sears Kenmore when it was time to buy my own machine because the button holes came out better. I also have a White Overlock (some folks call them Surgers) which is really great for sealing up frayable hems.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby EmilyD » Sat May 12, 2012 1:35 pm

lazerfox wrote:Let's just say that I never realized that my sig picture + my eplaya name = random email from guy looking for furry camps.

And when I politely told him I had no clue and that he should've kindly asked first if I was even a furry (vs. making assumptions), he became holier-than-though and gave me his impression of how life should be lived. :lol:

LOL an indignant Furry! "FURR YOU!" ;-)
EmilyD

Postby lazerfox » Tue May 15, 2012 7:04 am

EmilyD wrote:
AntiM wrote:If I ever upgrade, it will be to this tarted up Singer:

http://www.joann.com/singer-160th-anniversary-sewing-machine-/zprd_11457413a/

Probably not the best machine, but it is soooo prettty shiny.......

That, or I'll get mom's old Pfaff serviced and running again.

DAMMMNNN that is a beauty AntiM! Definitely the best of both worlds/time periods. My mom had one of those old black Singers. I opted for Sears Kenmore when it was time to buy my own machine because the button holes came out better. I also have a White Overlock (some folks call them Surgers) which is really great for sealing up frayable hems.

AntiM- I have a friend who recently posted an image of a jar bank with that same wonderful instrument taped on it as she saves to buy one of her own. :)

EmilyD- HAHAHA nice! And I'm slightly jealous of your Surger. Not sure when or if I'll ever be able to reason myself to think I'm a good enough seamstress to buy one but man you can do some amazing things with them!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby AntiM » Tue May 15, 2012 10:37 am

I was sewing enough a while back that a serger looked like a good idea. I've slacked off considerably lately though.

The shiny machine is well within my budget, just not a priority now. I'd feel guilty and frivolous.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Drawingablank » Tue May 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Finally found some time to finish carving and dyeing a leather buckle cover - now it just needs a couple coats of satin finish and lacing it over the buckle blank.

Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby EmilyD » Tue May 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Finally found some time to finish carving and dyeing a leather buckle cover - now it just needs a couple coats of satin finish and lacing it over the buckle blank.

Mmmm very nice DAB...and good for any/every year being date-free.
Last edited by EmilyD on Tue May 15, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Tue May 15, 2012 12:38 pm

AntiM wrote:I was sewing enough a while back that a serger looked like a good idea. I've slacked off considerably lately though.

The shiny machine is well within my budget, just not a priority now. I'd feel guilty and frivolous.

OR it could be just the inspiration you need to get back into sewing alot again! :-) It sure does keep seams from unraveling!
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Tue May 15, 2012 12:41 pm

I'm holding off beginning my big multi-person costume project until I know we have tickets but I do have a lot of the fabric already stockpiled. Just the other day I had a brain-flash about how to make the costume work (after pondering it in the back of my mind for a couple of months, and getting helpful advice from some of you) so as soon as we get the ticket situation resolved, I'll hit the sewing machine HARD! If we don't get tickets I'll use the fabric for a single, magnificent costume to wear in a fashion show some friends of mine put on every year in Santa Cruz. I just won't know which way to go (and they're very different approaches) until ...you know.
EmilyD

Postby lazerfox » Tue May 15, 2012 12:46 pm

You are great inspiration for a slacker like me. I've had tickets and even bought all the fabric I need....just haven't taken the time to start sewing my robe 2.0. :oops:

I also have about 3 projects that have been waiting in queue in front of it so I am completely and utterly slacking! Wish I were more organized with my life.

I'm sure however it works out you will have a wonderful costume!!
lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Tue May 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Finally found some time to finish carving and dyeing a leather buckle cover - now it just needs a couple coats of satin finish and lacing it over the buckle blank.

that is one kick ass buckle!
lazerfox

Postby Drawingablank » Tue May 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks, the man icon also glows in the dark, although that won't work on the playa as I discovered last year.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby Ratty » Tue May 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Dab, That buckle is a masterpiece! I am so jealous of your skills.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby Drawingablank » Tue May 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Ratty wrote:Dab, That buckle is a masterpiece! I am so jealous of your skills.

Thanks, but I am totally jealous of your repurposing skills so I guess we are even.

Since one of the things I do for a liviung is teach leather carving it doesn't seem all that awesome to me (a rather simple design in fact, although the painting and dyeing was tedious).

Drawingablank

Postby Jax Dee » Tue May 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
Ratty wrote:Dab, That buckle is a masterpiece! I am so jealous of your skills.

Thanks, but I am totally jealous of your repurposing skills so I guess we are even.

Since one of the things I do for a liviung is teach leather carving it doesn't seem all that awesome to me (a rather simple design in fact, although the painting and dyeing was tedious).

No, it's beautiful. Don't take your talent for granted. I love it :)
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 15, 2012 9:29 pm

No, no, hide your light under a bushel! Don't bask in the glow! Don't bask in the glow!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby EmilyD » Sat May 19, 2012 3:44 pm

lazerfox wrote:You are great inspiration for a slacker like me. I've had tickets and even bought all the fabric I need....just haven't taken the time to start sewing my robe 2.0. :oops:

I also have about 3 projects that have been waiting in queue in front of it so I am completely and utterly slacking! Wish I were more organized with my life.

I'm sure however it works out you will have a wonderful costume!!

GIT TA WOIK! What is the first step on your robe project? Do you need to make a pattern, or do you have one? Are you ready to cut the fabric or do you need to wash it first? What's THAT FIRST STEP? It's the key to getting going!
EmilyD

Postby lazerfox » Mon May 21, 2012 2:21 pm

First step is probably why I haven't. I need to finish 3 other projects. :(

I'm hoping to start sewing at least 2 nights a week starting this week....we shall see how it goes.
lazerfox

Postby EmilyD » Mon May 21, 2012 5:10 pm

lazerfox wrote:First step is probably why I haven't. I need to finish 3 other projects. :(

I'm hoping to start sewing at least 2 nights a week starting this week....we shall see how it goes.

Ahhh okay. And, not sure of your organizational set up but if there's a place you can set up the sewing machine permanently or at least for the length of the project (card table in corner even) it will help you from talking yourself out of all the set up hassle each time you decide you're ready to sew something.
EmilyD

Postby Savannah » Mon May 21, 2012 5:29 pm

I walked through a street fair the other day and saw wonderful sweater-coats for sale. The creator had scoured thrift stores for sweaters per coat in approximately the same fabric weight, and in 3 or 4 similar (but not identical) colors. She would then wash them in hot water to sanitize and pre-shrink, then cut them into horizontal strips and alternate the colors to make beautiful, drape-y, soft, knee-length coats with long pointy hoods and exposed serger stitching. She would even take a placket, with buttons, from a cardigan. I would have purchased one, but I don't really have a good excuse to spend $250-333 on a sweater coat. :shock: But oh, I wanted one.

I'm very tempted to try to cobble something like one together.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby EmilyD » Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Savannah wrote:I walked through a street fair the other day and saw wonderful sweater-coats for sale. The creator had scoured thrift stores for sweaters per coat in approximately the same fabric weight, and in 3 or 4 similar (but not identical) colors. She would then wash them in hot water to sanitize and pre-shrink, then cut them into horizontal strips and alternate the colors to make beautiful, drape-y, soft, knee-length coats with long pointy hoods and exposed serger stitching. She would even take a placket, with buttons, from a cardigan. I would have purchased one, but I don't really have a good excuse to spend $250-333 on a sweater coat. :shock: But oh, I wanted one.

I'm very tempted to try to cobble something like one together.

Savannah, there's a woman on Etsy who's famous for doing these coats. People wait months for her stuff: http://katwise.com/coats.html She does the best ones of these I've seen anywhere. I think she also offers tutorials on her techniques. These would be beautiful on the playa for sure.
EmilyD

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon May 21, 2012 6:12 pm

I freaking LOVE her stuff! I really want to make one just done have any sweaters. There is a video on youtube that shows you step by step how to make her coats.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby Savannah » Mon May 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks for the tips! :D

I'm guessing it was a different seamstress, indeed, using the very same techniques. Her work was a little more gentle than the examples in the linked sight, but very beautiful. Then again, it may also have been that some of the more technicolor dreamcoats had sold before I got there . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Jax Dee » Wed May 23, 2012 8:41 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:I freaking LOVE her stuff! I really want to make one just done have any sweaters. There is a video on youtube that shows you step by step how to make her coats.

Thx for this info. I will have to check it out and see if it is something I can pull off.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 24, 2012 9:16 am

I want to expand my uniform (so I can get in the dm thing) by putting extra panels of cloth in at the sides (takeing out current seams). So these are my choices of fabric:
NEW* Kona® Cotton: Premium Quilting Weight: $18/yd
100% cotton fabric with a soft hand, easy to sew
42" wide printable area (107 cm)
4.5 oz per square yard
60 x 60 threads per inch
Appropriate for quilting, appliqué, shirting, dresses, children's clothing, and home decor
Estimated shrinkage 2%
Machine wash warm or cool using phosphate-free detergent

Or
Cotton Poplin: $20/yard
100% cotton fabric
42" wide printable area (107 cm)
3.7 oz per square yard
Appropriate for quilting, shirting, skirts, dresses, pajamas, home decor
Estimated shrinkage 3%
Machine wash warm or cool using phosphate-free detergent

Or
Cotton Voile: $24/yard
100% cotton voile, combed, delicate, silky texture.
Please note that this fabric replaces cotton lawn, which was discontinued on 11/30/2010.
54" wide printable area (142 cm)
1.4 oz per square yard
Thread count: 70x70, yarns 60/1 x 60/1
Semi-transparent, gauzy
Appropriate for dresses, blouses, lingerie, scarves and handkerchiefs.
Estimated shrinkage 3%
Dry clean or hand wash gently, warm or cool using phosphate-free detergent. Air-dry.

Sadly my first instinct (#2) is out right now. I don't know when it will be back, beyond the word "soon", which can easily mean days or weeks...
I don't even know if that is my choice because it represents "Well, I won't go bargain basement on this, but I don't want to spend too much" or not.
Any thoughts?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Drawingablank » Thu May 24, 2012 9:31 am

I've played around a bit with making my old uniforms fit once again, and a lot depends on your personal tastes and what the uniform is made of.

For myself I am happiest with a fabric that is about the same weight and texture as the uniform. Since my old uniforms are heavy cotton, this usually means shopping in the denim section (some of the camo denims have no pattern on one side so can be used as a solid color).

You may prefer more of a contrast in texture, color, print, etc...

I must say that the prices you list seem a tad on the high side I usually pay about $5 for cotton or poplin. Even premium quiting cotton I usually see off sale for $12 or less.

Drawingablank

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 am

I think I want something lighter than the uniform, because it's hot on the playa.
Of course these prices are expensive. This is custom printed stuff in one yard bits. I want something that screams Soviet! or at least Russia!, but not a matrushka doll... Which is why I'm only getting one yard. I'd go for a third yard, but I only have one uniform coat, only intend to get one other and I'm not real sure how this would work out.
http://www.spoonflower.com/spoonflower_fabrics
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Drawingablank » Thu May 24, 2012 10:07 am

Wow, actually that price sounds pretty reasonable for custom printed fabric.

This link has some authentic vintage soviet designs if you are interested.I don't think they are for sale but you may get some good print ideas there:
http://pinterest.com/filipbeijing/fabricssovietandothers/

Drawingablank

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 24, 2012 12:53 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon May 28, 2012 3:26 am

For those who can not sew....

Totally on this for a dress or two for BM
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear