Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Modifying existing patterns

Postby caveatlector » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Hi all! I was hoping someone here might have some experience in adjusting a stock pattern?

I find myself in an unfortunate position where the pattern I'm working from has my dimensions directly *between* Medium and Large. I've assumed that if I find a median between medium and large cutting lines, I'll have a final product that will be a better general fit for me.

So far, so good-- but I'm curious if anyone has any advice in regards to this kind of modification.

Also: My costume calls for a lining inside the jacket, and I'm of half a mind to skip the lining to keep the thing relatively cool. It's a suit jacket I'm making, so It needs some structure, so I worry that skipping the lining might lose some of that structure and clean lines.

Thanks!
caveatlector

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Arctica Ice Sales

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:19 am

...have you not sewn before?

Always make a mock-up.

To increase, simply cut the pattern out bigger.

But if you're inbetween M and L, just cut the large. Stock patterns are crap when it comes to sizing.

Depending on the fabric, I'd skip the liner. Liner's a painintheass. However, lining will help a jacket hang better. It just depends on the fabric, the cut and what you want.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby caveatlector » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:06 am

I've sewn before, but a suit jacket feels like a bit of an advanced project.

I am, in fact, doing a mock up to begin-- I cut the pieces last night and starting the pinning. I was just trying to get a bit of "you're on the right track" verification before I started stitching the whole kit-and-kaboodle.

Thanks.
caveatlector

Postby Orchid » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:09 am

Sounds like you're on the right track. 8)
Orchid

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 am

caveatlector wrote:I've sewn before, but a suit jacket feels like a bit of an advanced project.

I am, in fact, doing a mock up to begin-- I cut the pieces last night and starting the pinning. I was just trying to get a bit of "you're on the right track" verification before I started stitching the whole kit-and-kaboodle.

Thanks.

Jackets are advanced - well, again, depending on what you're going for...how well you want it fitted, how it is to lay, etc. I just hate doing sleeves...measure twice, cut once!

I measure 20 and then cut. Can also trim, can't add more back.
C.f.M.

Postby caveatlector » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:54 am

Jackets are advanced - well, again, depending on what you're going for...how well you want it fitted, how it is to lay, etc. I just hate doing sleeves...measure twice, cut once!

I've made a dressform of myself (a Judy? A Jude?) to help myself with sizing in the torso-- I'm just hoping that the sleeve holes fit the actual sleeves I've cut. ;)

Thanks again.
caveatlector

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:03 am

caveatlector wrote:

I've made a dressform of myself (a Judy? A Jude?) to help myself with sizing in the torso-- I'm just hoping that the sleeve holes fit the actual sleeves I've cut. ;)

Thanks again.

A duct-tape double? I've helped people make those - I really need one for myself now that I've outgrown my dress form...I'm sure you'll do fine! Also, a big sewing tip that helps me: gin.
C.f.M.

Postby FaeTora » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:26 pm

Gin, making crafting more entertaining since 1663.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby jella » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:05 pm

I always sew with wine ! :)
ok maybe not always wine haha
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby caveatlector » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:13 pm

So noted.

It might help me deal with the fact that the pattern I'm working from is the devil.
caveatlector

Postby jella » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:15 pm

whatcha makin ?
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:47 pm

FaeTora wrote:Gin, making crafting more entertaining since 1663.

Indeed.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:54 am

caveatlector wrote:So noted.

It might help me deal with the fact that the pattern I'm working from is the devil.

You just became my crafting icon. Look at that beautiful bottle.
FaeTora

Postby moonrise » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:27 am

I could use a little advice dealing with my umbrella (also a cane and walker)

It's a nice *our Seasons Resort & Hotels one with a nice wooden handle and tip.

nylon fabric i would guess.

The color is a slate grey, I was thinking I could just buy some cool looking spray paint and paint over the entire top in interesting colors (elminating the *our seasons hotels and resorts logo)
BUT will that spray paint just crackle off and become MOOP?
I could get the better prettier auto paints.
I like red and orange, and also yellow if not too costly.

I could also just change it to Fuck Seasons Resorts & Hotels (not my favorite idea buuuut? will do it if it's gets a laugh)

To be honest, I think it'd be much nicer if I just paint over the top of the whole umbrella...so hmmm....

Also, I do NOT want to end up making a BIG mess of it...I tend to get carried away with a spray can and well...

lastly I could just spray over the logo with grey spray paint..it's about 6x6 inches in size

anyone have knowledge here? please let me know soon...i have lined up some graffitti/stencil/skater/burner kids/artists willing to help but they
aren t sure..and seem a bit baffled...so i said i'd ask here!

my main concern is the MOOP issue, since it gets opened and closed a lot and frazzles in sun...

Oh, and i also need to undrabify my aluminum cane and walker...same paints????

this is a serious real post...(hopefully will only need the walker for morning stretches) the cane i do like to use and will use it painted after the burn...it'll be less drab!

Gracias!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby caveatlector » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:56 am

jella wrote:whatcha makin ?

This is a mock-up for a single-breasted blazer. The actual one is going to be bright red, with brass buttons, and epaulettes-- A Mountie uniform. :)

If the mock-up goes well, I'll likely add some Elwire details and have it as my nighttime version.
caveatlector

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:46 am

Mmmm...gin and a (wo?)man in uniform? I'm sold.

If I had to make a

I wouldn't have bought a suit pattern...I might have eye-balled a chef's coat or used some red pillowcases. It's a very blocked/square shape. It should turn out wonderfully.

I would not paint on an umbrella. I would sew. Like I did with my umbrella.
C.f.M.

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:21 am

moonrise,
for your umbrella maybe try fabric paint. I stencilled skull & cross bones on my umbrella (nylon) with fabric paint. I made sure to leave it open for about a day to let the paint really dry. I haven't had any paint flaking off and i have been opening it and closing it often.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:20 am

If you are using your umbrella as a parasol you could just get some fray check and cut out the offending piece. I'm going to be cutting holes in my parasol, so that it doesn't catch the wind as easily.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:47 am

lucky420 wrote:moonrise,
for your umbrella maybe try fabric paint. I stenciled skull & cross bones on my umbrella (nylon) with fabric paint. I made sure to leave it open for about a day to let the paint really dry. I haven't had any paint flaking off and i have been opening it and closing it often.

I second the fabric paint idea. You can find all colors at crafts stores such as Michaels, Joann Fabrics, etc. The difference between fabric paint and stuff like acrylics is that it soaks into the fabric and really holds on but doesn't stiffen. Regular art or house paint sits more on top of the surface (especially if it's synthetic).

If the logos you're trying to cover are too dark the paint might not be enough but you could glue on pieces of other fabric in applique form. I'd use clear silicone (my adhesive of choice) and spread it really thinly. That is the only glue that you can be guaranteed won't break down in the heat/UV.

theCryptofishist is right about needing to cut holes in the umbrella to keep it from turning inside-out or going airborne. I need to do that to the one I covered with metallic fabric.

If you want tips on how to cover an entire umbrella with fabric let me know and I'll post.

Fishy, is Fray Check the brand name of that stuff?
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 am

caveatlector wrote:I've sewn before, but a suit jacket feels like a bit of an advanced project.

Thanks.

Caveatlector, you've definitely set yourself a challenge. I think jackets/coats are the toughest things to sew especially when using a commercial pattern. There are so many pieces (but made better by leaving out the lining) and the instructions are usually TERRIBLE! I agree with C.f.M. to go with the larger size and then tailor down. That's easier than starting small and adding in to make bigger.

My dress form hasn't fit me for more than 20 years but she and I have an understanding and as long as I make things really loose on her, she doesn't bind me up.
EmilyD

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:16 am

See, that's why I wouldn't have used a suit jacket pattern for a mountie jacket. You really need one square for the back, one for the front and the sleeves. Doesn't need to be all tailored and fitted and junk.

You can split the front square up the middle to make a working jacket (ugh buttonholes).

I'd probably make it velcro and have buttons justforlooks.

I might have even looked for a white jacket to dye red and decorate.
C.f.M.

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 am

C.f.M. wrote:See, that's why I wouldn't have used a suit jacket pattern for a mountie jacket. You really need one square for the back, one for the front and the sleeves. Doesn't need to be all tailored and fitted and junk.

You can split the front square up the middle to make a working jacket (ugh buttonholes).

Ya, a Mountie jacket is all about the pockets and collar plus red. Add some jodphurs and it's obvious!
EmilyD

Postby caveatlector » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:43 am

C.f.M. wrote:See, that's why I wouldn't have used a suit jacket pattern for a mountie jacket. You really need one square for the back, one for the front and the sleeves. Doesn't need to be all tailored and fitted and junk.

Heh. We'll call that plan "B".
caveatlector

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:52 am

I am all about being cheap and easy.

I mean, doing things cheap and easy.

Sewing from patterns and doing it right is time-consuming.
C.f.M.

Postby moonrise » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:07 pm

lucky, cryto, emily...thank god you exist!
and all the eplyians...

The logo is white..fabirc paint...erg....not sure

The aplique idea...is the silicone mentioned the type used for household..like windows and it's semi flex so if thin i could glue a fabric patch? that is a good idea I think

Yes, it's a parasol...I can FRY even with 40 or 50 block sunscrn...so cuttin' slits now......I could BURN them in like poko dots with an old soldering iron! it's nylon ya know!...lol...and it'll seal the fray of a moopy edge...maybe just not too too many of course

I STILL USE my forest fire damaged patio umbrella with the jillions of burns it got when my house was ALMOST consumed by a wall of fire 200 feet high (many homes burned down that weekend)...and now it's works great...shaped like ) } ( ) )( can't do it overlapping..duh.. all over it...from burning pine needles! the pattern looks good too...nature fixed it's design because it shades and doesn't blow off the deck anymore...

Where's that soldering iron now........................

Oh and please do tell...household silicone? also open to any other comments...

Gracias!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:39 pm

i used a hot glue gun on my parasol. I live about 110 miles from BRC also in the desert. I've left my parasol in my car with the windows rolled up all day and the glue held. Did get a tiny bit soft but nothing came off...
I think hot glue is okay as long as you glue the shit out of it
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Moonrise, it doesn't matter what kind as long as it's 100% silicone. It's cheapest at hardware stores, Home Depot etc. It's basically caulk. I use the clear but it won't take paint. There are some that are paintable but they're part acrylic and might peel off in the heat. You can also try lucky420's advice.
EmilyD

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:20 pm

C.f.M. wrote:I am all about being cheap and easy.

I mean, doing things cheap and easy.

Sewing from patterns and doing it right is time-consuming.

Good save.
FaeTora

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:00 pm

So, we're getting ready to attempt a monster beanbag for lounging. MY thoughts are:

3 x 3 yard rectangle pieces of fabric, with the ends cut into a rounded triangle shape. Sew them together side by side, then the ends.

Am i on the right track? Should we use 4 pieces instead of 3? Any suggestions of what to fill it with? We have a hookup at a local Mailboxes Etc store, and were thinking about styrofoam peanuts (oh the humanity, I know.. I'll make sure they are recycled after). Any other suggestions of cheap filler material?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby jella » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:43 pm

hunks of foam will make the filling faster and hold up better. that's what they fill the love sacs with :)
jella

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear