**Best Type of Body Paint on the Playa?**

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

**Best Type of Body Paint on the Playa?**

Postby thk127 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:15 am

I'm trying to find a good body paint that won't sweat off, and create a moop trail throughout the Playa. I found out that there are 4 different kinds:
Henna
Water-Based
Liquid Latex
Oil-Based

I’m thinking that the Water and oil based paint will just sweat off. I have used liquid latex body paint before I know that can create a lot of moop. I’m wondering if I’m missing some kind of secret to keeping body paint on your body when running around the playa.

:? Got any Tips and Tricks :?
-=First Burning Man 2010=-
thk127

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:18 am

shalaque
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby teardropper » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:22 am

No. But a question. How do you get it off? A few folks in camp last year painted their bodies, don't know what with, and had some difficulty getting it off. I guess there are some that wash off easily, but the stuff they had, well it seems they had some difficulty.

I didn't really know them. Kinda' hippies. Guess it didn't wash off running behind the water trucks.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Clar-i-ty » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:26 am

It depends on how much of your body you are painting. I've done face and body painting for over 20 years at amusement parks, birthday parties, festivals and of course the Playa.

I swear by Kryolan Aqua Color. It's hypoallergenic, water based, and will stay all day once it dries. Comes off with baby wipes. You can buy an 8 color pallet for about $25 at most theatrical supply stores. I've also seen it at Michael's in the kids section with a face painting book that might be good if you're new to the art. If you're doing large scale stuff, you want to buy the large rounds which run about $18 per color. Also comes in day glow that looks great under black lights.

http://www.kryolan.com/en/index.php?mnu ... d=87&rel=1
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby teardropper » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:30 am

Yeah, OK, it's good to know they were just idiots...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby thk127 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:52 am

I would have to think that they used some type of Food Dye. That shit never comes off!

Thanks for the help! I'll get some Kryolan Aqua Color.
I'm doing a full face paint and others are doing full body.
-=First Burning Man 2010=-
thk127

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:28 pm

2nd kyrolan.

I personally can't stand body paint at a festival, because I just don't feel clean again until I've had a proper shower. Maybe the last day?
trystanthegypsy

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah some body came by our camp last year with stencils and spray paint. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
But then I had to try to get it off and that didn't work so well. Pretty much had to wait for it to completely flake off on its own.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Sharpies! :D
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Clar-i-ty » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Actually, I've seen the sencil thing done with colored hair spay, and that comes off pretty easily. Might be worth some pre-playa experimentation.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:00 am

trystanthegypsy wrote:2nd kyrolan.

I personally can't stand body paint at a festival, because I just don't feel clean again until I've had a proper shower. Maybe the last day?

Um no. Sunday is not a fe stive day in that way. People are packing up and leaving, people are cleaning up camps, interactivity goes way down.
Maybe Saturday. Things are kind of mobbed then. If you haven't done it by or on Friday, you're not really going to get much joy out of the experience. This is a good rule of thumb, not really about body paint, I've no experience with that.
Well, there's an experience with someone who had glitter body paint in my camp, which let to a camp wide ban on glitter...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Orchid » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:24 am

I've had really excellent luck with Kyrolan and Ben Nye, this year I'm trying out Wolfe Arts.
Any face/body paint that is "activated" with water should be very easy to clean off with a wipe. However, the cheap stuff that's sold around Halloween time is oil-based and is more likely to stain your skin, smear, and be a greasy mess trying to remove.
In my opinion, theater paints are worth the extra bucks (and I'm super stingy.)
Orchid

Return to Clothing & Playawear