Metal > Clothing/Textiles : How???

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:50 pm

[quote="Token"]Neutrogena now has an SPF 100 helioplex sport spray. Cheap $10 at target. Works like a charm.

Metal & Textiles:

I have the opposite problem. I build metal wireframe clothing and have a hard time fitting fabrics to it. I hate sewing. I outsource the fabric stuff to my wife. Works out OK. :)[/quote]

I remember trying 80SPF and getting no results. Im beginning to think the key to it all is the mexoryl that the stuff I buy has. Mexoryl is patented so until the makers can get it into the states, Im importing it.

Back on topic...

Well, how does your wife attach the cloth material to your wireframe?
Catwoman69y2k

Postby Token » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Combination of grommets and hand stitching with wire.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:01 pm

[quote="Token"]Combination of grommets and hand stitching with wire.[/quote]

What kind of wire. Fishing wire has been suggested to me (as it is pretty strong) but Im not sure it would work for *all* the components I have. A few of them are kind of on the small but dense side compared to the lightness of motherboards/vid cards/etc...
Catwoman69y2k

Postby bm_cricket » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:06 pm

My genes don't burn easily but I cake myself in sun block anyway. Last year I used a bunch of Neutrogena spray on stuff and it was fine. It didn't smell like surfer either.

I think that if I had whiter skin I would probably be much less willing to go spend 8 hrs in the sun butt naked. ;-)
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Token » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Fishing line will work fine provided there is no shear on the line, i.e. smooth holes. You can add heat shrink tubing for any area that looks like it needs help.

We use metal wire in a really tiny gauge. Any craft store has it. We also use Kevlar and Nomex string. Fire resistance is key for these since most have some flame effect on them.
Token

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:53 pm

[quote="Token"]...Kevlar and Nomex string. Fire resistance is key for these since most have some flame effect on them.[/quote]

Thanks. I dont spin fire (nor is this outfit even practical for such things) but its good to know. :) Thank you
Catwoman69y2k

Postby robotland » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:50 am

You can also hang gadget bits from a network of webbing, which can be purchased by the foot from camping stores and some hardware stores. Be careful with metal bits, as they suck up heat INCREDIBLY. You can easily burn yourself on aluminum that's been in the sun.
Use GOOP!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:14 am

[quote="robotland"]You can also hang gadget bits from a network of webbing, which can be purchased by the foot from camping stores and some hardware stores. Be careful with metal bits, as they suck up heat INCREDIBLY. You can easily burn yourself on aluminum that's been in the sun.
Use GOOP![/quote]

Yeah. I hear conflicting "dont use goop" and "do use goop" in regards to good glues for playa conditions. I dont think goop is as flaky as say, hot glue. Good ideas. I do know that, like a chainmail bikini I will find in my size some day, having good backing on the components is good. I am still wondering what Ill use. I have to find something because some of the first parts I scrapped were circuit boards. They have little points on the back that would be uber uncomfortable.
Catwoman69y2k

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:59 am

Run some sand paper over the pointy bits or an emory board. If that doesnt flatten them completely it will blunt them so they wont poke or catch on things.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:20 am

[quote="FIGJAM"]Run some sand paper over the pointy bits or an emory board. If that doesnt flatten them completely it will blunt them so they wont poke or catch on things.[/quote]

Yeah. Ill probably still back them with a material just to be safe. In fact, that might work for better attachment to attach the components to the backing and then attach the backing to the garment's base.

I was told that a diamond wheel might help for a cleaner cut on the circuit boards
Catwoman69y2k

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:54 am

Catwoman69y2k wrote:
Token wrote:Combination of grommets and hand stitching with wire.

What kind of wire. Fishing wire has been suggested to me (as it is pretty strong) but Im not sure it would work for *all* the components I have. A few of them are kind of on the small but dense side compared to the lightness of motherboards/vid cards/etc...

Now we are getting close to the expertise of jewelry makers. (Not jewelers. I'm talking about bead stringing and wire wrapping, not ring forging.)
If you want wire, you might want to use it decoratively, rather than just as attachments. You can buy fancy colored wired at bead stores (or online for same) and make decorative attachments. There's one that's a loop at either end with the ends wrapping in the middle. YOu can also do that with a bead too, if you like. "Bead" can mean almost anything that has a hole in it and is rugged enough to last during use. Instructions can be found on line, or at almost any bead store. (Most have classes.)
It's not how you have to do it; there are plenty of options here. It's just that now I get to pontificate someplace where I have some sort of expertise.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Token » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:56 am

It's gonna be fun when the elecrolytic capacitors start exploding. Most are rated to 105 F. In direct sun they get much hotter.
Token

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:09 pm

[quote="Token"]It's gonna be fun when the elecrolytic capacitors start exploding. Most are rated to 105 F. In direct sun they get much hotter.[/quote]

Im going to be taking stuff like that off anyway. Besides, this goes with chainmail in not being a "heat of the day" costume. :)
Catwoman69y2k

Postby Thecatman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Catwoman69y2k wrote:dumpster diving and scrap yard diving is always free

With "ID Theft," and the theft of various metals being what it is, be careful doing that. Try to get permission or something.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby EmilyD » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:43 pm

As far as adhesives go, nothing soaks into fabric as well yet remains flexible, and isn't super stinky to work with but silicone caulk. All us ArtCar artists use it. It lasts for YEARS yet it's pliable enough to sit on. Catwoman69y2k I'd follow the advice of those who suggested a grommet and wire system for the heavy objects and then back it up with silicone adhesive.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear