Newer Hetero Male Burner Needs Fashion Tips.

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Newer Hetero Male Burner Needs Fashion Tips.

Postby Fireman Jeff » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:54 am

04' will be my 2nd burn. Last yr my dress consisted of cut off scrub pants and a hm made Arab head scarf("bruka"?). Nite time I'd throw a shirt or blinket on. Not much creativity in my head. Any suggestions :?:
Fireman Jeff

Postby Tiara » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:11 pm

Look at the photo gallery from previous years for inspiration

Do web searches for images of various things that you might be interested in making costumes of

Sift through the racks at local thrift and costume stores

Try your hand at sewing?

Make sure that whatever you come up with doesn't have loose bits that can fall off and become moop (matter out of place)
Tiara

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:17 pm

What kinds of things are you interested in? Are you more drwn towards the death guild-thunderdone-y type stuff, more of the arab-inspired desert style, more flowy, more goth, more ?????

I agre with tiara, looks a the pics-- and don't just look at the BM pics. look all over the internet, magazines, movies, everywhere. Pick out pictures of outfits that you like. Examine them to see if a) they are doable (can you amke them yourself, do you have the resources to purchase them) and b) playa friendly (no MOOPing, also consider extreme temperateure factors)
Ivy

Postby Fireman Jeff » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:23 pm

Thx ladies. I do tend to gravitate to the lite hearted, desert beach themes. Not much of a dark or goth type. How could i merge that w/ this yrs theme? I am however very fiscally consirvative and would prefer prefab as opposed to sewing my own.
Fireman Jeff

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:32 pm

>>lite hearted, desert beach themes

>>How could i merge that w/ this yrs theme

Brainstorm things that are light hearted but that have to do with the theme. One of the OC burners came up with a totally awesome idea for a cloud-costume, going on the "sky" aspect of the theme.

Sometimes I play with the image search functions on the search engines, and put in two random words that have to do with what I'm looking for. Heck, even just searching images for "vaoults of heaven" turns up some interesting stuff.

If you're on a budget and can't sew, I would definately second Tiara's recommendation about thrift stores. great stuff. And, if you just go around and browse, it's possible that you'll see something that will inspire you and give you entirely new ideas.
Ivy

Postby MusicVixen » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:10 pm

I would agree with the others. Thrift stores are the best!!! I typically browse once a week. I don't always find anything but some weeks you'll find gold. I have already begun my playa wear gathering.
MusicVixen
MusicVixen

Postby Release Me » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:05 pm

During the day I wear sunscreen. When the evening comes I may hit the town putting on my finest leisure suit with sequenced bow-tie and dobbs style cap complete with x-ray monicle and a harem of scantilly clad women. Other nights may be a faux fur jacket with mesh pants, spiked hair and a harem of scantily clad women.

Basically, I let the thrift store decide my costume. Though you may have to go somewhere else to find your scantilly clad women.
Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.
Release Me

Postby blyslv » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:50 pm

Chicks dig a man in a dress! Especially a fireman. It'll increase your swagger and cement your hetro-ness. See (and feel) how the other half lives. Take a walk on the wild side.

<some of them...>

<the ones you want to talk with at least...>
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby III » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:27 pm

i think i need to see how this outfit suits me...
III

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:28 pm

III wrote:i think i need to see how this outfit suits me...

That movie was great.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Piper » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:03 pm

blyslv wrote:Chicks dig a man in a dress! Especially a fireman. It'll increase your swagger and cement your hetro-ness. See (and feel) how the other half lives. Take a walk on the wild side.

You can always do the kilt thing, see the kilt thread in newbi section for some good ideas.

Also The Reno burners will be starting their bi-weekly events soon, are you on the Reno List?

If you aren't send me an E-mail and I will ask Rick or October to get you on, Some very cool people in the town and we might even talk Painless off the Mountain

Oh yeah Bpiper (at) masonpiper (dot) org
Peace
Piper

I said, "Man, I'd like to stay
But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP
Piper

Postby RingO'Fire » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:39 pm

III wrote:i think i need to see how this outfit suits me...

I'll wager that it doesn't suit you nearly as well as it does her.
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...
RingO'Fire

Postby jenny » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:27 pm

Also, if you get a great outfit idea while you're on the playa - or see one that you want to copy, er, emulate, you can come to my camp and use your street clothes and my supplies to make it happen. I think I'll be registered as streetwear recycling camp or the like.
jenny

Postby III » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:42 pm

>>doesn't suit you nearly as well

only if you desperatly cling to your madison avenue influenced perceptions of attractiveness.

don't be afraid to shed your mainstream indoctrinations. it's the whole point of burning man, after all.
III

i think i need to see how this outfit suits me...

Postby Fireman Jeff » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:21 pm

III,
I think I could pull this off. Of course there woud be alot more hair oozing out and around the costume.
Fireman Jeff

Postby Fireman Jeff » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:24 pm

Release Me,
I like your style. Can I borrow your harem of scantilly clad women?
Fireman Jeff

Postby Fireman Jeff » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:25 pm

MusicVixen wrote:I would agree with the others. Thrift stores are the best!!! I typically browse once a week. I don't always find anything but some weeks you'll find gold. I have already begun my playa wear gathering.

Yea, I've been hitting the thirft shops. So far no inspirations.
Fireman Jeff

Re: i think i need to see how this outfit suits me...

Postby RingO'Fire » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:46 am

III wrote:...only if you desperatly cling to your madison avenue influenced perceptions of attractiveness.

Fireman Jeff wrote:III,
I think I could pull this off. Of course there woud be alot more hair oozing out and around the costume.

No matter how hard I try to let go of my "madison avenue-influenced perceptions of attractiveness" that I'm desperately clinging to, I just can't qualify the mental image of Fireman Jeff with his hair all oozing out of Milla Jojovich's "Fifth Element" costume as "attractive." Actually, it makes me even more desperate in my attractiveness-perception clinging efforts, but I'll try harder to let go of my preconceptions. My new mantra: "Hairy dudes in scantily-clad outfits really are attractive! [repeat] Scantily clad hairy dudes..."
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...
RingO'Fire

Cloak of Shame

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:07 am

I don't know where I heard this, but I like to appologize for and over emphasize the occasional "my bad" with this phrase"

"I wear the cloak of shame"

Now, how do I make THAT into a costume?
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Ivy » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:56 am

I don't know, but what a cool idea!

What does shame look like to you?

I imagine a cloak made out of some fabric printed like bosch's "Garden of Earthly delights" or something...
Ivy

Earthly Delights

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:44 am

Yeah! I checked out The Garden of Earthly Delights by Bosch. Being a BM virgin myself, does that look like BM with grass? :lol: Here's a link to it:
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bo ... lightc.jpg
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Fireman Jeff » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:32 pm

jenny wrote:Also, if you get a great outfit idea while you're on the playa - or see one that you want to copy, er, emulate, you can come to my camp and use your street clothes and my supplies to make it happen. I think I'll be registered as streetwear recycling camp or the like.

GREAT Idea Jenny :D
Fireman Jeff

Re: Earthly Delights

Postby Fireman Jeff » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:37 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:Yeah! I checked out The Garden of Earthly Delights by Bosch. Being a BM virgin myself, does that look like BM with grass? :lol: Here's a link to it:
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bo ... lightc.jpg

WOw! It does look like BM w/ grass.
Fireman Jeff

Postby Steven bradford » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:32 pm

In the theme, it seems most people are picking up on the Heaven part of the Phrase and missing the possibilities in "The Vault".
Steven bradford

International Time Vault

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:43 am

Steven bradford wrote:In the theme, it seems most people are picking up on the Heaven part of the Phrase and missing the possibilities in "The Vault".

Good point, Steven. Check out our "International Time Vault" at www.MutantVehicle.com and let me know what you think.

Cheers!
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby TommyTheCat » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:31 pm

Anyone know where to get middle eastern clothing? or a good loin clothe pattern? lol
I got ma ride...blargh!
TommyTheCat

Postby BAS » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:46 pm

Someone actually posted instructions on how to make a loin cloth on one of these forums not too long ago...; unfortunately, I don't know where that particular thread is.... I seem to recall it involved using a XXXL tee shirt.

I'd say get a shirt advertising a company you don't like, and wear it with the logo on the inside! :wink:
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:08 am

If you are interested in a sarong or cape-type garment (sewing involved hems and drawstrings; possilbe for a beginner with a coach to do in an afternoon) you can evoke the theme easily. I've been to JokeAnnes and other fabric stores looking for a wedding sarong and seen lots of space themed fabric--stars, suns, astronauts, ect,. with varying degrees of shininess in the fabric some for quite small prices. With a minimal amount of shopping around you should be able to get 2-3 yards for $10. If you just want a scarf or cummerbund (yeah, we should be promoting the "Cummerbund-and-Loincloth" look) then it's just a couple of bucks. That way, even if you strike out at the thrift stores, you'll still look spiffy and thematic.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ron » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:42 am

III wrote:....

only if you desperatly cling to your madison avenue influenced perceptions of attractiveness.

don't be afraid to shed your mainstream indoctrinations. it's the whole point of burning man, after all.

Says the guy who posts an exact image of what the main stream considers attracitve? A way skinny model?

We're all into what we're into, and that's cool with me. But your advice to look outside the box, right after you just painted one of the most corporately created boxes around yourself, reminded me of that pot calling the kettle black...

Ron
Ron

my suggestion

Postby theshaman » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:01 am

Here is my suggestion Fireman Jeff....a full length fur for night...once you fur you never go back...also works wonder for sleeping on naked....the cavemen had it right. I have even found furs pre made at thrift stores for under 50 bucks (usually not full length) although it is good to find a sewing guru willing to make one custom for you.

for the day, large hat, sunglasses, and nothing but a large red lobster codpiece over your junk....and sunscreen. That is "beach fun" right?
Buddha wasn't a Christian, but Jesus would have made a good Buddhist

Shaman
theshaman

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear