Best website for playa wear..?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Best website for playa wear..?

Postby junglesmacks » Thu May 27, 2010 8:10 am

I'm looking for some seriously cah-razy fur pants, fur trench coat.. whatever. I've been searching online for a good spot for this stuff but am coming up blank. Ebay is hit or miss.

Anyone have a good online source for playa wear?
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby C.f.M. » Thu May 27, 2010 8:34 am

Loads of cliche'd fur stuff on Ebay (like the crazy expensive "playa coats," fur leg warmers, tutus, goggles, etc.). Every time I try to use the tag "burning man," on Ebay, that's all I get (furry stuff and tutus).

Etsy also has a fair amount of goggles and leg warmers, utility belts and such for sale.

There's one that advertisted heavily on Tribe....I don't remember what it's called, though. Skinny people in tight shiny clothes.

ETA to add links

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Sky-Was-Pink-Store

http://stores.ebay.com/Playa-Wear-Fashions

http://shop.ebay.com/tonycsophie/m.html ... ksid=p4340
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu May 27, 2010 8:54 am

2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby junglesmacks » Thu May 27, 2010 9:48 am

Nice.. thanks. Further thinking this out and deciding that fur is indeed a little cliche'd.. time to innovate. Boldy go where no man has gone before. Question is.. where. Hmmmmmm..........
junglesmacks

Postby teardropper » Thu May 27, 2010 9:51 am

I got some animal print faux fur here: http://thethemeroom.com/faux_fur_fabric.htm

'Course, you have to find someone to make the stuff for you.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby AntiM » Thu May 27, 2010 9:55 am

Thrift shop coat or bathrobe, sew on fabric patches or applique on fabric flames. Sew on a hood and pockets. Add some el wire or leds and you're golden.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Savannah » Thu May 27, 2010 11:25 am

First, think of how you want to look. Do you want to evoke the 2010 theme? Do you want to look like a raving candy dish? A favorite character from a movie? A giant flying lizard-nun? Night costume? Day costume? Make some lists. Bring them along. Try:

* Thrift stores in mercilessly hip neighborhoods, or small towns/outlying areas. Hip thrift has great stuff but sometimes it's pricey, whereas towns out in the boonies often have amazing things, & the prices tend to be low.

* Yard sales, garage sales, estate sales.

* Blog posts to friends asking if they have eccentric garb that needs a good home. (Offer a bit of cash when you see something you like; $10 or $20 perhaps). Many people have a few good pieces they delay donating to thrift 'cause they'd rather see a close friend have fun with it.

* Fabric stores & craft stores, for inspiration. Dye & upholstery trim might change the nature of something you already own. If you're not crafty, ask a friend who is about the nature of dye & the fabrics it'll work on, & bribe them to show you simple hand-sewing tricks. Buy a seam ripper, a hot glue gun, needles, thread, sharp scissors & a measuring tape if you don't have them. Also try:

* Sci-Fi or Anime conventions.

* Local street fairs & festivals, open air markets.

* University drama department or local opera/theatre costume sales.

* Army/Navy surplus stores.

* Hardware stores.

* Ross / TJ Maxx / Marshall's.

. . . Or just search google for "playa [item of clothing]" or "raver [item]". (I don't think they can get away with saying "Burning Man"). Note: while expedient, raver/playa-targeted stuff can be quite expensive & will lead to a showdown when another man shows up to the cocktail hour wearing the same lime green faux fur strapless dress as you.

Remember that most costumes will end up paired with sunglasses or goggles, a hat, & a bag of some kind. At night, you'll need illumination and possibly outerwear. If you plan, you can have a whole ensemble or accessories that match multiple costumes--although for many people that's carrying things a tad far. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby EmilyD » Thu May 27, 2010 11:29 am

AntiM wrote:Thrift shop coat or bathrobe, sew on fabric patches or applique on fabric flames. Sew on a hood and pockets. Add some el wire or leds and you're golden.

I'm with you! There are some great finds in thrift store coats especially in Spring/Summer. I found a full length, 100% cashmere coat from I. Magnin for $4.99!!!! Still can't believe it!
EmilyD

Postby dragonpilot » Thu May 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Crap...ya go to the "swim suit" link and all ya get is pics of a bunch of empty bikinis...WTF, Moose?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu May 27, 2010 12:24 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
There's one that advertisted heavily on Tribe....I don't remember what it's called, though. Skinny people in tight shiny clothes.

Ilaniowear is now defunct, tho their site is still up and they have some sizes left.
trystanthegypsy

Postby junglesmacks » Thu May 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Mmmm.. monster fur..

http://www.mendels.com/fur2.shtml

I'm thinking of getting a few yards of the stuff and going to town..
junglesmacks

Postby Boijoy » Thu May 27, 2010 4:07 pm

if your on Reno . check out the Burlington Coat Factory.. seriously whacky stuff. and they aren't even trying. :lol:
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu May 27, 2010 4:24 pm

dragonpilot wrote:

Crap...ya go to the "swim suit" link and all ya get is pics of a bunch of empty bikinis...WTF, Moose?

I know, disappointing huh?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Ranger Genius » Thu May 27, 2010 4:25 pm

http://www.lulievision.com/

My friend Lulie makes exquisite playa gear. Prices are a bit high, but all hand made, build quality is unparalleled, and they're super sexy.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu May 27, 2010 4:41 pm

You can also get lots of people to custom make stuff for you. *cough cough**me*

Also, etsy is a great resource! there's a whole team devoted to burning man stuff!
trystanthegypsy

Postby Honey Bucket » Sat May 29, 2010 9:48 am

Ya dont need to buy anything. The best Playa wear is the self made creations. all you need is some leather scraps, fake fur scraps and some sequined fabric scraps along with a grommet tool -- bring it to the Playa and have camp mates join you in making theirs or make some for them.
When the going gets tough, the tough use Tupperware!
Honey Bucket

Postby diamondmoth » Sat May 29, 2010 10:05 am

Here is my suggestions in order of awesomeness.
1. make it your self. For a lot of things you don't even need a sewing machine. Some hot glue will work for most fur projects. Also you can alter some stuff you buy at thrift stores. My favorite project this year would be taking a huge furry fluffy pink robe, adding some buttons and a hood and BAM! playa coat.

2. What trystanthegypsy said. Etsy has a whole crew of talented awesome people who make burner clothes. Belly dancing clothes, costumes, masks, goggles. everything really.

3. Savannah suggested Ross and such stores. Seriously. These stores are known for their heinous, lovely, wacky shit. I bought a bitchen baby blue wicker cow boy hat for 3 bucks and a shit ton of obnoxiously pink lingerie. For the gentle men don't be discouraged when all the mens clothes have nothing but MMA fighting logos. Hop on over to the women's side. Check out the shorts, tank tops, jackets especially. And if your so inclined the ladies shoe section in these places go to really big sizes so check that out too.

Call them to see when they put out most of their shipment so you can go during the day and avoid large crowds.
diamondmoth

Postby ibdave » Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 am

I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 30, 2010 12:34 pm

Caution: When using hot glue, know that it will melt again if it reaches it's melting point. It can happen on playa. I don't know if that's regular hot glue or super hot hot glue, I just don't use it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby chris2010 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Caution: When using hot glue, know that it will melt again if it reaches it's melting point. It can happen on playa. I don't know if that's regular hot glue or super hot hot glue, I just don't use it.

Is someone running around on the Playa using a Hot Glue Gun to melt glue? Or does things get that hot there??? What about COLD GLUE? Like that Mighty Mendit, from that Dead Guy on TV who sells it... Billy Mays or something... I've tried it, it seems to work really well! But I don't know about on the Playa. I may bring a bottle to see!
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
chris2010

Burning Since: 2010

Postby FaeTora » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:45 pm

I work retail so let me tell you Mighty Mendit is nothing but crap by another name. It is horrible. We sell it but I won't buy it. I am actually going to try to make my own boot covers. Lets see if that works. and to line some of my clothes for night wear but during the day I have to admit I'll be running around in little more than underwear, a scarf, goggles, and a belt to hold supplies or a backpack. Thrift stores are great though and they dont have to fit perfectly either! Sometimes I get extra extra large clothes that I just like the fabric and make stuff from them.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Then there's the old standby...

Thai Fishermen's Pants.

Cooler than MC Hammer but a tad more subdued unless you wear them on your head.
Isotopia

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:50 pm

chris2010 wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Caution: When using hot glue, know that it will melt again if it reaches it's melting point. It can happen on playa. I don't know if that's regular hot glue or super hot hot glue, I just don't use it.

Is someone running around on the Playa using a Hot Glue Gun to melt glue? Or does things get that hot there??? What about COLD GLUE? Like that Mighty Mendit, from that Dead Guy on TV who sells it... Billy Mays or something... I've tried it, it seems to work really well! But I don't know about on the Playa. I may bring a bottle to see!

The only commerce allowed on this board is ticket resales and uncompensated endorsements of GOOP.

Nice snort you induced, Isotopia.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

New site, luvly stuff

Postby sporkbunny » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:10 pm

I just found offbeatwear.com. Really great coats, much lower prices than I'm used to seeing. I know its cliche but... being cold or wearing an old winter parka are pitiful alternatives. Its more important to feel good about yourself and be warm.
... because its there.
sporkbunny

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:18 pm

$140 bucks for a half-sized furry coat.. wow! thats crazy expensive to me. Then again my non-work clothing is probably worth about $20 bucks tops. I wonder if I can get someone I know to sew me one though. That would be a good option for night. Fake fur is very warm.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 pm

FaeTora wrote:$140 bucks for a half-sized furry coat.. wow! thats crazy expensive to me. Then again my non-work clothing is probably worth about $20 bucks tops. I wonder if I can get someone I know to sew me one though. That would be a good option for night. Fake fur is very warm.

Have you ever sewn fun fur? its pretty challenging. and also expensive raw material. That's actually a pretty good price.
trystanthegypsy

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:08 am

If you're bringing faux fur to the playa, please brush it before you leave home. And, if you sew it, be sure you trim the seams properly and clean them up (so no fur flies).
C.f.M.

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:41 am

www.glowfur.com

made by Burners in Colorado Springs
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:13 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:www.glowfur.com

made by Burners in Colorado Springs

Or make your own...get a hoodie from a thrift store. Cut off the hood, trim it with whatever, stick some EL wire in it.
C.f.M.

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear