Costume question: helmet base

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Costume question: helmet base

Postby whaleboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Costume: a headdress/spacehelmet kind of thing, art deco ish, like the space angel kind of look.

What will work well as a form-fitting low profile helmet? Paper mâché o a swim cap? Liquid latex poured on and hardened? Is there some sort of sculptable medium that can be bonded to a swimcap or a paper mâché base helmet?

Made something incredibly bad last year with fAbric on a baseball cap base. Hopig to do better.
My God, it's full of Stars!
whaleboy

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:26 am

my mind immediately thought of a knit beanie....but im not a costumologist.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:33 am

spray foam expanding polyurethane foam insulation?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:35 am

Liquid latex reeks to high heaven...go with paper mache'. Ill be wearing my stahlhelm..
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:45 am

You're asking what to use, for the part of your helmet that will actually rest on your head? What's the rest of the helmet made of? How much hair do you have?
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Prosthetic forehead

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:27 am

When Chris Munz, and I worked on our Prosthetic Forehead (fake forehead with a tv screen displaying video of our real forehead), we built the prototype based on a low profile motorcycle helmet that was not DOT rated hence lightweight and just for show. They are also called a "skid lid" or in this case "Lidz Novelty Black Motorcycle Helmet beanie lid shorty".

After that prototype, my friends Dave and Cory who work at a real prosthetic lab took a cast of my noggin and we created the base for this using their vaccuform plastics:

http://www.mutantvehicle.com/small_projects.htm

Certainly more pricey if you were to hire it done, but the original skid lid prototype still works and Chris wears it with pride.

For your purposes, the skid lid may be a good start.

Good luck!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:37 am

Go to the Army/Navy surplus store and try on helmets. They all have good suspension systems. Surely you can find something that you can build on.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Re: Prosthetic forehead

Postby lambert13 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:23 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:we built the prototype based on a low profile motorcycle helmet that was not DOT rated hence lightweight and just for show. They are also called a "skid lid" or in this case "Lidz Novelty Black Motorcycle Helmet beanie lid shorty".

That was my first thought as well.

Another idea if you want to use paper mache is to use the plastic inner part of a hard hat as a 'frame' of sorts to work from. The part that actually sits on your head and suspends the helmet part of it over your head.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby Oldguy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Native peoples sometimes use old felt hats as a stiff base for headdresses. Old fiber GI helmet liners are cheap, so are plastic construction hardhats. I cut an old soccerball to make a rubber skullcap : turned it inside-out to make smooth rubber, instead of the pentagon pattern.
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Just for shits and giggles, my son and I made our own helmets, starting with a balloon, blown up to the size our heads. Paper mache'd the side, so it would conform to the skull better, than just round. Got it a few layers thick, let it dry and popped the balloons. Or...look online for cheap REPRODUCTION fallschirmjäger helmets. Well not that cheap, but a hell of a lot cheaper than originals..
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Tamino » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Craft stores have plaster mesh that you can cut into strips and dunk in water.
I used it on an old motorcycle helmet with saran wrap. I'll build from that base and then use fiberglass resin to harden the shell. Inside I'll use foam weather stripping for inside.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Tamino

Postby robotland » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:04 am

Also comb the thrift stores for kid-sized sports/play helmets- I've had some success with removing the liners from helmets that wouldn't otherwise fit. (Then add a terrycloth liner or scraps of craft foam to reduce the Rattlenoggin Factor.)
The cold-weather liners for construction helmets work well as bases too, and look a little like the "Snoopy cap" that the Apollo astronauts wore.
You can also stiffen fabric with a 50/50 mix of water and wood glue, but I wouldn't recommend wearing it until it's dry...A little trial and error with a styrofoam head and some duct tape can make you a reasonable helmet form. (Wrap in plastic to reduce sticking from the glue.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:02 am

Tamino wrote:Craft stores have plaster mesh that you can cut into strips and dunk in water.

It's be heavy unless you do the armature right. You might want to look at model train landscaping techniques. Although weight isn't really a consideration there.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:48 pm

I always use me head as the base for my helmet. it works great!
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Mojojita » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:32 pm

[quote="ygmir"]spray foam expanding polyurethane foam insulation?[/quote]

Have used this stuff for masks - do a very thin plaster casting, then cover with the urethane foam. Its very tough, sandable, paintable.
Mojojita

Postby whaleboy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:30 am

HEre's where my experimentation has gotten me:

I've got a space angel helmet in progress that's going very well using the following technique:

-baseball cap, cut off the brim
-using this posable wire mesh I found at an art store (Activ-wire) build the armature and pinned it on
-did all the wiring and LEDs at this point
-secured it with hot glue gun
-stiffened everything by laying gauze saturated with premixed wallpaper paste

and next I"ll do a thin layer of celluclay paper mache, because that's well sculptable and sandable to get the detailing and a smooth finish

and last but not least paint it.

The past, mesh and gauze have added some weigh, but its still significantly lighter than your average hard hat, including the batteries. And since its a baseball hat it fits my head well. No straps will be needed.

Ok it hasn't been really fast, I figure I've got about 6-8 hours into it at this point, with probably 4 more to go, not including drying time, but it will be awesome. And then I'm going to make a similar one for my wife, but hers will probably have blue LEDs instead of green. Awesomeness!

I wonder if I could just did the fabric of the cap into the wallpaper goo and save the step of the gauze next time...

thanks everyone! If you see me on the playa, it's silver helmet with cheek protectors and widows peak, two backward sweeping spikes, and 4 green LEDs going in a line from third eye back to tip of top spike.
My God, it's full of Stars!
whaleboy

Return to Clothing & Playawear