boots

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby PavementBlues » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:41 am

Victorian wrote:Those reef's are quite handy. They're pretty trendy here, and work well for desert parties... they also have a flip flop with a plastic "flask" in the bottom of them... SO rad.

I found a pair of reefs in a garbage can a few years ago. Turned out they fit, and since then those things have taken more beatings than any other sandals I have owned, but they're still in perfect condition.

Reefs fucking rock.
I volunteered at Burning Man and all I got was this stupid superiority complex.
PavementBlues

Postby Rommel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 pm

[quote="PavementBlues"][quote="Victorian"]Those reef's are quite handy. They're pretty trendy here, and work well for desert parties... they also have a flip flop with a plastic "flask" in the bottom of them... SO rad.[/quote]

I found a pair of reefs in a garbage can a few years ago. Turned out they fit, and since then those things have taken more beatings than any other sandals I have owned, but they're still in perfect condition.

Reefs fucking rock.[/quote]

In short, any footwear that allows playa dust to get between the sock
and skin, or flip-flops and your skin, will create a bad situation as the
playa starts to [u]eat[/u] your skin. If you want to go this route,
instead of wearing a 10" boot and thick or multiple socks, do make
sure to baby your feet. The playa will crack your skin, and unless your diligent with washing/drying you'll end up with bloody split's on your feet; especially your heel's.

Just remember, the playa dust is a corrosive base... how corrosive you
ask... just pour a little white vinegar on the ground, and watch the
reaction. It also likes to react with the salt in sweat, and there's nothing
quite like pouring vinegar into playa filled cracks in you skin; drink before
attempting this... it might dull the pain.
Rommel

Autoritär für Gigsicherheit
'oderint dum metuant'
Rommel

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:13 am

[quote="Loricybin"]i've been considering getting a pair of these:
[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312DqZ2O5lL._SS500_.jpg[/img]

i like the idea of lightweight sneakers, and the super tall boot style would probably be good for minimizing dust infiltration.. anyone have experience and/or insight regarding these, or normal chucks, on the playa?[/quote]

If theyre worn in, they are great! If not, they tend to be stiff in the wrong places. If youve bought any new chucks lateley imagine that, but times 20 as you walk for days. I hated my chucks by the end and I usually live in them- They werent worn in!
LindseyRaeFace

Postby swamp monster » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:28 am

For those of you who have worn chucks, high top or not?

I was thinking of wearing low tops with socks (which I would never normally do). Also thinking of getting some fake uggs (I looove my black real uggs and I am not subjecting them to these elements), but I think if I were wearing shorts and the wind blew they'd just fill up with dust.
swamp monster

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear