looking for advise on hair dye

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: looking for advise on hair dye

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:05 pm

I loved Special Effects, and really miss having cherry red hair.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:35 pm

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Does any of this wash out OK...I need to be vanilla at work on Tuesday?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:58 pm

If you want it to wash out by Tuesday, color sprays are probably best. :D Walgreen's, Display & Costume, Champion's, and (some) beauty supply shops have 'em. Western Beauty Supply on 23rd & Jackson might, if any of the beauty supply stores would.
Savannah

Postby Rabbette » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:07 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Image

ha ha I had no idea they actually had "hair color" for those areas.

Reminds me of the many off color (no pun intended there) comments I would get while having pink hair and they were usually some dude hanging out of their truck window and yelling over at me "you got pink hair anywhere else" - to which I would reply - "yes my arm pits"
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby OregonRed » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:00 am

Rabbette wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:Image

ha ha I had no idea they actually had "hair color" for those areas.

Reminds me of the many off color (no pun intended there) comments I would get while having pink hair and they were usually some dude hanging out of their truck window and yelling over at me "you got pink hair anywhere else" - to which I would reply - "yes my arm pits"

+1 :lol:
OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby illy dilly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:15 am

OregonRed wrote:
Rabbette wrote:Totally cracking up at myself for replying to such an old post - - - - see what happens when ur not paying attention and using the search function. Oh my - oh well if anyone needs good hair dying notes, they have been updated - ha ha.

LOL! :lol: I shoulda checked dates too... :roll:

Well I'm glad somebody brought it up!
I'm about to dye part of my hair (fo-hawk) red. Never dyed my hair before in my life, especially a color off the color wheel and not something natural.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Rabbette » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:32 am

awesome - glad this thread got resurected then!

Just be well informed illy dilly on the lightening of the hair (thats the hardest part to get right). Other than that the process is just time consuming and can not be hurried. Going to red should be easier than other colors b/c if you still have orange tones once you lighten the hair (If you are lightening your hair) and you put red over it, you won't see any mis-coloring.
Rabbette

Postby unusualchild » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:05 am

I am really glad this thread got refreshed, I am about to redye my hair pink, I bleached and dyed it a few months ago but the bleached area will no longer hold color for very long (it looks gray) so im preparing to re bleach and color again. thanks all for the tips gonna look for the special effects
I do not regret the things I have done but those I did not do
unusualchild

Postby illy dilly » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 am

So my buddy, that has experience with dyeing hair, is talking about using "peroxide" and "activator" to lighten our hair.
Is this the same as bleach?
Better or worse?

Peroxide sounds a hell of a lot safer than bleach, at least in my head.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby tahiti_treat » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:52 am

I'm currently trying out Splat! hair dye. I have really dark hair so I've never been able to bleach it past orange, but the pink strip I tried over the weekend looks really nice, although more of a fuschia-y colour than a true pink. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm letting the bleached hair sit for a couple days before I put the rest of the pink over it, then wash it a couple times to get the residual dye out and off to the playa! :D

Whenever I've used unnatural colours of hair dye before they always end up fading on the top a long time before the ends, because I have long hair and shampoo my scalp only. My experiment this time is to only bleach/colour the ends of my hair and leave the rest of it dark brown. Then if I get too frustrated with the dryness / don't like the pink anymore I can just cut it off.
tahiti_treat

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby Rabbette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Hair bleach is peroxide and an activator. We are not talkin bout bleach used for laundering or cleaning. Please don't ever put that kind of bleach on your head or hair.

illy dilly wrote:So my buddy, that has experience with dyeing hair, is talking about using "peroxide" and "activator" to lighten our hair.
Is this the same as bleach?
Better or worse?

Peroxide sounds a hell of a lot safer than bleach, at least in my head.
Rabbette

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:43 am

I actually planned to dye my hair purple before the burn but chickened out at the last minute.

My big concern was that although I could shave my head before returning to work, most dyes I've seen dye the skin underneath as well. I'm not sure what would be worse - showing up at work with purple hair or with a purple scalp.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Hey I would love to chime in here. I am a licensed hair stylist specializing in color.

Im coming down from my medication so im wicked tired. I have tomm. off and will post all about this and ways to help it stay.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby Rabbette » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:25 pm

Drawingablank wrote:I actually planned to dye my hair purple before the burn but chickened out at the last minute.

My big concern was that although I could shave my head before returning to work, most dyes I've seen dye the skin underneath as well. I'm not sure what would be worse - showing up at work with purple hair or with a purple scalp.

I've recently been using a VERY dark blue which lightens to a dark purple and even tho I may get a little bit on my scalp, I've never had it permanently stain my skin. My fingers sometimes get the worst of the dye from somehow getting a hole in the glove. It takes about a day to have that dye wear off from washings, but my scalp, typically not an issue (don't go just sludging it on your head, do try to keep it off your scalp, but if you get a little on it, its usually nothing shampoo can't rinse away.)

Also when I'm doing the "COLOR" part of dying my hair I always have rubbing alcohol nearby, if you put some on a q-tip or cotton ball and immediately wipe away the dye that has dripped on your skin it pretty much comes off, any left over will be rinsed away in the shower.

You could always go the spray in route. It works pretty darn good, just don't get caught in the rain or have water dumped on your head or your clothes will be the color your hair used to be.
Rabbette

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Rabbette wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:I actually planned to dye my hair purple before the burn but chickened out at the last minute.

I've recently been using a VERY dark blue which lightens to a dark purple and even tho I may get a little bit on my scalp, I've never had it permanently stain my skin. My fingers sometimes get the worst of the dye from somehow getting a hole in the glove. It takes about a day to have that dye wear off from washings, but my scalp, typically not an issue (don't go just sludging it on your head, do try to keep it off your scalp, but if you get a little on it, its usually nothing shampoo can't rinse away.)

Also when I'm doing the "COLOR" part of dying my hair I always have rubbing alcohol nearby, if you put some on a q-tip or cotton ball and immediately wipe away the dye that has dripped on your skin it pretty much comes off, any left over will be rinsed away in the shower.

You could always go the spray in route. It works pretty darn good, just don't get caught in the rain or have water dumped on your head or your clothes will be the color your hair used to be.

Thanks, this has given me enough confidence to maybe attempt the bright purple mohawk next year - assuming I remember to order some ahead of time. Odd how I couldn't find anything but natural hair colors for sale in Fernley.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:37 pm

DO it . . . and bring some 'product' to spike it up. :D
Savannah

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:13 am

Savannah wrote:DO it . . . and bring some 'product' to spike it up. :D

Yah, I've wanted a mohawk for decades although my taste in hair color has changed lol. I even went down to the 9:00 plaza hoping for one at the burn (at least the mohawk part), but standing in a looooong line to get a haircut wasn't my idea of playa fun.

The realities of my defaultia jobs have always made it impractical / impossible, but if you can't rock a purple mohawk at the burn - where can you?

I have been trying to plot out my haircuts so it will be the perfect length for the burn - about 2 1/2 - 3 inches long. I always have some type of product around, although most days are bad hair days for me and it usually don't need anything to make it stand on end. Probably even still have some Dippity Doo around here from the 80's.

Drawingablank

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear