Lemme Ogle your Goggles!

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby Rice » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Most of the time, true, no real dust storms at night.... Having said that, in 07 we had that 12 hour dust storm, and in 09 I think there was a storm that almost canceled the Man burn.

My goggles, fashionable they arn't have clear lenses for night use. They were fantastic. It is a lot easier to carry a spare lens vs a second set of goggles. It would be annoying to not have goggles if a storm did brew at night time....

From my experience it pays to check all your gear before leaving home!! It will save you from major surprises on the Playa. :D
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:10 pm

The nearly canceled burn was 08. Fire conclave was canceled that year, and yes, it was the dust year from hell.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Rice » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:18 pm

AntiM wrote:The nearly canceled burn was 08. Fire conclave was canceled that year, and yes, it was the dust year from hell.

Right, guess things are starting to blur... I tend to work Perimeter on Saturday night so I skip that burn.

I thought 07 was worse than 08 for dust storms, oh well, I abide by your superior memories {bow}

Rice
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Lol. We were the fuel masters for the Utah conclave and 08 was very vivid for me. That's the year the asshat in the crowd put a ciggie out on MyLarry's forehead when told not to smoke next to the fuel cart.

We were there a day early, Sunday and Monday were 12 hour whiteouts that year, and several bad blows including Saturday. I've never been so down about the dust. 09 was downright lovely. Only one afternoon blow I even remember because we'd gotten careless and let a few things out which got buried in dust dunes.
AntiM

Postby EmilyD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:07 am

LOL now I'm thoroughly confused about what to get. Do I need clear goggles that go over glasses but fit my small, narrow face, or prescription goggles with snap on sun lenses, or a pair of day goggles and a pair of night goggles (just in case) or WTF? ;-) To add to the mix I currently have a pair of prescription sun glasses, a pair of prescription nightime driving glasses, and a pair of drugstore reading glasses. I have too many fucking glasses!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:34 am

LOL, I know what you mean. I wear my prescription sunglasses most often, my clear glasses for movies or when I actually need to see, and my prescription readers when I get tired of reading with my one good eye. And that's off the playa. I wear my sunglasses more than my regular glasses all the time! ON playa, I usually choose soft focus no glasses at night, but not always.
AntiM

Postby EmilyD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:32 pm

AntiM wrote:LOL, I know what you mean. I wear my prescription sunglasses most often, my clear glasses for movies or when I actually need to see, and my prescription readers when I get tired of reading with my one good eye. And that's off the playa. I wear my sunglasses more than my regular glasses all the time! ON playa, I usually choose soft focus no glasses at night, but not always.

Okay that helps a bit. I'm pretty much becoming blind at night. I just got new glasses yesterday...they're prism. My eyes aren't working together and it can be kind of scary at night. But...the new glasses, DAMN! I haven't used them for night driving yet but watching tv from across the room was crystal clear. I have a feeling I'm going to be buying several goggle options and returning those that don't work.

Question...are we looking to block vents to avoid fogging or do we need vents to keep lenses clear? Thanks.
EmilyD

Postby Elorrum » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:01 pm

oh glasses. :( I broke my prescription glasses in August and haven't replaced them. I have my old 80's big lenses in the car for driving. I actually used them last year on burn night because I forgot my clear goggles. Big old glasses were better than nothing for the lightly blowing dust. Dark goggles were not so great at night, but they made the propane forest show easy on the eyes.

getting pretty used to the soft focus far stuff, but the unusable near stuff is driving me nuts. Saw these rx inserts in goggles.
guess there are a few variations on this. When I start coveting goggles, I need to remind myself that they are sort of hot, and I usually take them off as soon as I can... but wow, I guess I'm still in the wow that's cool phase.
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:28 pm

AntiM wrote:
ygmir wrote:
AntiM wrote:
Elorrum wrote:http://www.majorsurplus.com/US-Tactical-Desert-Goggles-P14457C2145.aspx

2 pairs for twenty dollars... but they have dark glass/plastic. not sure if his would be a great idea for a dust storm though

I picked up some too, but not everyone can get this sale price unless you're already in their system. Sales gal asked me if I had the promo email.

We'll see how they do, Genius says many rangers swear by them for dust.

I just ordered them online, 2 pairs, 20 bucks, no code asked for.
11.00 shipping and tax........seems a great deal.

My order just arrived. They are too wide for my face, and leave a huge gap around my nose. I think they should fit most men quite well. I ordered one pair of stealth goggles ($14.95), and they fit me fine. Supposedly go over glasses, they do, but smoosh them into the bridge of my nose.

my order got here today.
the are wide, seem to fit me fine, my big mellon head and all.......seems quite well made, and for the price for a pair........
I'd only say they seem a little "stiff", had to make the band somwhat tight to get them to sit flat on the sides.......but, it was cold out. On a hot day it might be different.
easy to change between clear and dark lenses.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby teardropper » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:19 pm

Just got my sand wind and dust goggles. I have fairly small glasses and they just fit over them. Hard to get off with glasses. Just be careful. These would work perfect with no or small glasses. The fit against the face is good. I got two pair on eBay for $9 and $14 each, new in wrapper and box. Pretty good, with the size caveat.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby EmilyD » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:32 am

teardropper wrote:Just got my sand wind and dust goggles. I have fairly small glasses and they just fit over them. Hard to get off with glasses. Just be careful. These would work perfect with no or small glasses. The fit against the face is good. I got two pair on eBay for $9 and $14 each, new in wrapper and box. Pretty good, with the size caveat.

teardropper, do you have a link to the pair you got? Thanks.
EmilyD

Postby teardropper » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUN-WIND ... erchandise

This is just like them, and is a current auction.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby geospyder » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Same as what I used last year. Lens snap on and off real easy. Used the dark during the day and the clear at night. I do not wear glasses but I'm thinking of getting another pair for my brother-in-law who does wear glasses.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Postby Polkageist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:22 pm

So here's my question for eye protection: What's would be the recommended course for day/night eyewear? Switchable lenses, or two sets of goggles one with clear lens and one with shaded?
Polkageist

Postby teardropper » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Well, I just use a clear. But I wear my polarized sunglasses underneath. If I didn't wear glasses, just for sun protection, I would use the dark lens, and switch out to the clear for just in case at night.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby ConnieH » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm thinking of ordering these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,246 ... yecup.html

Not sure if they'll work for a really bad dust storm, but should do ok for the annoyingly "light" breezes like in 09? Provided they fit my face. They seem spendy, but I'd probably use them for skiing, too, since I can't ski without googles even on sunny days because the wind whips around my sunglasses and irritates my contact lenses.

Anyone have any experience with photochromic lenses on the playa?
ConnieH

Postby EmilyD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:01 pm

teardropper wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUN-WIND-AND-DUST-MILITARY-GOGGLES-NEW-1NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335b8a0500QQitemZ220579104000QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise

Great, thanks. Yeah those are the ones recommended by several people on this thread. I think they might work for my hubby but not sure about me. I'll check their return policy just in case.
EmilyD

Postby ygmir » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:29 pm

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Stealth Goggles

Postby EmilyD » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 pm

These are the ones I think AntiM told us about. Unfortunately they're out of stock, (so they must be good). They said 6-8 weeks before they have them again.

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Stealth-Googles-P14454.aspx
EmilyD

Postby illy dilly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:11 am

EmilyD wrote:
teardropper wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUN-WIND-AND-DUST-MILITARY-GOGGLES-NEW-1NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335b8a0500QQitemZ220579104000QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise

Great, thanks. Yeah those are the ones recommended by several people on this thread. I think they might work for my hubby but not sure about me. I'll check their return policy just in case.

Its too bad ya'll live so far away. My local Army Surplus has 5 or 6 boxes of these for $11 each (if I remember correctly).
I'd say I'd bring them, but last thing I want is ya'll to relie on me but then never find me
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby EmilyD » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:11 am

illy dilly wrote: My local Army Surplus has 5 or 6 boxes of these for $11 each (if I remember correctly).
I'd say I'd bring them, but last thing I want is ya'll to relie on me but then never find me

Thanks for the though illy dilly. I'm sure I'll find something. So far this pair fits pretty well but I don't think they are UV coated.

http://www.activeforever.com/p-20251-ja ... -lens.aspx
EmilyD

Goggles For Narrow Faces/Small Heads

Postby EmilyD » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:50 am

I finally found some goggles that fit my narrow face. They come with 4 lenses and all are UV! Here they are if you have this problem too:

http://www.amazon.com/Airfoil-Goggles-I ... 348&sr=8-1
EmilyD

Postby thesandman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:55 pm

i made a trip to my local surplus called freedom military surplus in Mesa and fixed 2 problems got a a nice pair of m44 mil goggles cost $16 and a Shemagh face scarf cost $13 goggles fit good for the price too i have then on in my new avatar pix need to fig out how to post pixs next :)
thesandman

Shemagh

Postby EmilyD » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:34 pm

thesandman wrote:i made a trip to my local surplus called freedom military surplus in Mesa and fixed 2 problems got a a nice pair of m44 mil goggles cost $16 and a Shemagh face scarf cost $13 goggles fit good for the price too i have then on in my new avatar pix need to fig out how to post pixs next :)

thesandman, I'm making a Shemagh from scratch but don't have the exact measurements. Could you possibly measure the one you bought and let me know what they are? Thanks.
EmilyD

Postby jella » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Love the goggles Emily, especially the interchangable lense part :) I think I'll have to get some.
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby thesandman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:06 pm

the Shemagh measurements are 42’’ X 42’’ or 44â€
thesandman

Postby EmilyD » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:22 am

[quote="thesandman"]the Shemagh measurements are 42’’ X 42’’ or 44â€
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:25 am

jella wrote:Love the goggles Emily, especially the interchangable lense part :) I think I'll have to get some.

Yeah jella, they finally fit and have UV. I'm not sure what the blue and amber lenses are for. There are absolutely no instructions included. I figured I'd only be using the darkest ones for daytime and the clear for night.
EmilyD

Postby Colourfulkiz » Tue May 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Wouldn't the vents in these goggles defeat the purpose during a dust storm?
Excited to be a virgin burner again, this time in BRC!
Colourfulkiz

Postby EmilyD » Tue May 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Colourfulkiz wrote:Wouldn't the vents in these goggles defeat the purpose during a dust storm?

I don't think so Colurfulkiz...they say this:

"Frame is lined with dense polyurethane foam for an airtight seal against wind and dust" Here's hoping!
EmilyD

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear