Lemme Ogle your Goggles!

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Lemme Ogle your Goggles!

Postby EmilyD » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:39 pm

geospyder wrote:
Rommel wrote:The best choice for goggles are the USGI sand, wind and dust goggles.
The are designed to accomodate glasses under the goggles, they fit well,
and they will absolutely keep the playa dust out of your eyes.

When it comes to your eyes, function wins over fashion every time.
Do your self a favor, and use a pair of goggles designed for the military,
for the very same environment you'll find yourself in.

They come in a box with a clear and grey lens, and you can find them
new for about $15.00; do not pay more than $17.00, and ensure that
they are new
, not good used.

Save yourself the misery, and potential temporary blindness, and pick up a pair for your adventure.

If you want to bring 'fashionable' goggles, just don't use them in the dust.

For those that have not seen them before:
http://www.olive-drab.com/images/swdg_01_700.jpg

I do not suggest you purchase them at the above site, but this will help you identify what you need.

See ya'll out in the dust!

Rommel
Gigsville-Lahontan Korps


I second these. I picked up a pair off eBay for $8.99 last June. I popped in the dark lens during the day and the clear lens before heading out at night.

Do a search on eBay for "SUN WIND AND DUST MILITARY".


And could these go over prescription glasses?
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Re: Lemme Ogle your Goggles!

Postby geospyder » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:34 pm

EmilyD wrote:
geospyder wrote:
Rommel wrote:The best choice for goggles are the USGI sand, wind and dust goggles.
The are designed to accomodate glasses under the goggles, they fit well,
and they will absolutely keep the playa dust out of your eyes.

When it comes to your eyes, function wins over fashion every time.
Do your self a favor, and use a pair of goggles designed for the military,
for the very same environment you'll find yourself in.

They come in a box with a clear and grey lens, and you can find them
new for about $15.00; do not pay more than $17.00, and ensure that
they are new
, not good used.

Save yourself the misery, and potential temporary blindness, and pick up a pair for your adventure.

If you want to bring 'fashionable' goggles, just don't use them in the dust.

For those that have not seen them before:
http://www.olive-drab.com/images/swdg_01_700.jpg

I do not suggest you purchase them at the above site, but this will help you identify what you need.

See ya'll out in the dust!

Rommel
Gigsville-Lahontan Korps


I second these. I picked up a pair off eBay for $8.99 last June. I popped in the dark lens during the day and the clear lens before heading out at night.

Do a search on eBay for "SUN WIND AND DUST MILITARY".


And could these go over prescription glasses?


I was curious myself since I was planning to get a pair for my brother-in-law who is coming over from the Netherlands. He wears glasses. I went up to my storage box in the garage and dug them out. I put on a pair of "reading" glasses, normal size, not the skinny ones. The goggles fit over them great. Opening the box brought back memories with the fragrance of Playa dust :D
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
User avatar
geospyder
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: South of the Playa
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby EmilyD » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Coool, thanks for the laboratory test!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby Rice » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:40 pm

Good question... I wear glasses. Motocross goggles with clear and tinted lenses. One needs a balance between fashion and function! I chose the latter:

Image

They seemed to work quite well, even while wearing glasses. (I spent several hours in each dust storm with no issues...)

Rice
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: da
Burning Since: 2007

Postby ygmir » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:10 pm

this looks like a good buy on goggles:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/n ... 17448&pn=1
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby teardropper » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Taking Rommel's advice I looked around to find those goggles, the US Army Sun Wind and Dust goggles,and to find out more about them. I found them on a couple of internets sites from $15-20 apiece plus shipping. Then I looked on eBay. I don't know how this board thinks about linking to live internets auctions, but there are a ton of those over there, I used the keywords "us army goggles". The bids starting at $1 and BIN for $10. Plus shipping. And that varies. it seems that these are the same one spoken of in the post. And maybe at decent prices. I have no interest in this except to score some good goggles maybe at a good price and to pass on said deal.

As I am studying goggles I realize that all goggles are not created equal. Some, lie ski goggles, are more open. Thier problem is fogging up so they build them with ventilation. Similar in road motorcycle goggles; fogging up is an issue. Fogging is unlikely to be an issue on playa goggles. Letting in any dust is. I can tell you what did not work for me last year. Rommel can tell you what worked for him. Taking advice from both of us might get you a good, cheap pair of goggles.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby illy dilly » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Its really good to hear that some one has tried the Sun,Wind, and Dust army goggles. They have some at my local Army Surplus, and I wasn't sure. I'll grab a pair next time I'm there.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
User avatar
illy dilly
 
Posts: 4800
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Six Pages of Goggles At this Site

Postby EmilyD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:14 pm

http://www.activeforever.com/s-404-safety-goggles.aspx

Very reasonable prices and you can search for the features you want.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby archeolojust » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Victorian! You can find lenses for those type of goggles in every color on etsy for pretty cheap. I ordered a couple pairs in green and light blue. They were about 5$. They don't seem great for sealing out the dust though. My goggles wouldn't, that's for sure. And I've stitched a leather covering all around them to make them fit better and look awesome..still no seal-age.
User avatar
archeolojust
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Providence, RI, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Bangarang

Postby phil » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:35 am

http://bob-basset.livejournal.com/129758.html
has lots of photos different views of these goggles:
Image
User avatar
phil
 
Posts: 2975
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Codgerville

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:26 pm

A matching pair for you and Louise, or just one?
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16510
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Last time (2008, sigh) I got smart and took a Dremel to an old pair of glasses. Shaped them to fit inside biker goggles, wedged them in with plastic tubing, and plugged up the vents. Worked great, MUCH better than big ol' goggles over glasses.

I had one pair for day, one for night.

Oh, and of course there are all kinds of precautions about grinding glass: don't breathe it, and don't get it in your eyes. But it was easy to do.
User avatar
ricochet
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:42 pm
Location: North Carolina
Burning Since: 2005

Postby Elorrum » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:06 pm

http://www.majorsurplus.com/US-Tactical ... C2145.aspx

2 pairs for twenty dollars... but they have dark glass/plastic. not sure if his would be a great idea for a dust storm though
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 5049
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby AntiM » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Elorrum wrote:http://www.majorsurplus.com/US-Tactical-Desert-Goggles-P14457C2145.aspx

2 pairs for twenty dollars... but they have dark glass/plastic. not sure if his would be a great idea for a dust storm though


I picked up some too, but not everyone can get this sale price unless you're already in their system. Sales gal asked me if I had the promo email.

We'll see how they do, Genius says many rangers swear by them for dust.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17678
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:03 pm

AntiM wrote:
Elorrum wrote:http://www.majorsurplus.com/US-Tactical-Desert-Goggles-P14457C2145.aspx

2 pairs for twenty dollars... but they have dark glass/plastic. not sure if his would be a great idea for a dust storm though


I picked up some too, but not everyone can get this sale price unless you're already in their system. Sales gal asked me if I had the promo email.

We'll see how they do, Genius says many rangers swear by them for dust.


I just ordered them online, 2 pairs, 20 bucks, no code asked for.
11.00 shipping and tax........seems a great deal.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby AntiM » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:31 am

LOL, maybe she was sweet talking me, making me feel "special".
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17678
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 am

you are special.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby shroom » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:35 am

I have ogled your goggles and now I can't decide which ones I want. :(
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
User avatar
shroom
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Georgia
Burning Since: 2010

Postby teardropper » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:54 am

But, boy, do you have some choices and varied, but great advice.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:A matching pair for you and Louise, or just one?

I think it's one of those new "auto-zombie" devises where you can suck your own brains out.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 39928
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby epic_elite » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:31 pm

vintage motorcycle goggles ftw.


you can find really nice ones on ebay for less than $50, or you can get crappy one's for around $5. some of them are frankensteined together to refunctionalize broken one's, also uber cheap.
User avatar
epic_elite
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Postby epic_elite » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:32 pm

User avatar
epic_elite
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 pm

ygmir wrote:
AntiM wrote:
Elorrum wrote:http://www.majorsurplus.com/US-Tactical-Desert-Goggles-P14457C2145.aspx

2 pairs for twenty dollars... but they have dark glass/plastic. not sure if his would be a great idea for a dust storm though


I picked up some too, but not everyone can get this sale price unless you're already in their system. Sales gal asked me if I had the promo email.

We'll see how they do, Genius says many rangers swear by them for dust.


I just ordered them online, 2 pairs, 20 bucks, no code asked for.
11.00 shipping and tax........seems a great deal.


My order just arrived. They are too wide for my face, and leave a huge gap around my nose. I think they should fit most men quite well. I ordered one pair of stealth goggles ($14.95), and they fit me fine. Supposedly go over glasses, they do, but smoosh them into the bridge of my nose.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17678
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elorrum » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:58 pm

how dark are the lenses on the goggles?
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 5049
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:02 pm

The tactical goggles have two lenses, clear and a light/medium dark. A little light. The stealth goggles are darker than most fashion sunglasses, but not uber-dark, not welder dark. Dark enough for me.

I'm still going to wear my prescription sunglasses most of the time, they're really dark.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17678
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:23 pm

AntiM wrote:The tactical goggles have two lenses, clear and a light/medium dark. A little light. The stealth goggles are darker than most fashion sunglasses, but not uber-dark, not welder dark. Dark enough for me.

I'm still going to wear my prescription sunglasses most of the time, they're really dark.

AntiM, really, consider cutting down lenses from an old pair of glasses. If your eyes haven't changed that much in the last few years you really won't notice the old prescription, especially with the dust and all.

And otherwise, yeah, I wear prescription sunglasses when the wind isn't blowing.
User avatar
ricochet
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:42 pm
Location: North Carolina
Burning Since: 2005

Postby Elorrum » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:34 pm

I have a pair of polarized goggles, small with separate eye covers, like sunglasses. and a very small set of clear goggles. These small goggle types I find hard to wear for extended periods as they seem to fit too closely around my eye. I thought a larger pair of single coverage goggles would be more comfortable. Really I could do well by just adding a clear comfortable goggle for night. Glad to hear the sale 2for1 goggles come with a clear lens, as the item description for the tactical version was "extra dark" lens. Now for the size issues... I might just go with a single pair of the M44 sun wind and dust. no hurry. thanks AntiM for the update.
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 5049
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:57 pm

The stealth goggles have foam all the way around and fit me comfortably. I think I will like them!
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17678
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby EmilyD » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 am

AntiM wrote:The stealth goggles have foam all the way around and fit me comfortably. I think I will like them!


AntiM so what are you planning to use for nighttime goggles? The stealth ones would be too dark right? I'm thinking they would work for me, and I may do the old-glasses-lens thingie to them but what about night for us small-headed, glasses-needing folks?
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:47 pm

EmilyD wrote:
AntiM wrote:The stealth goggles have foam all the way around and fit me comfortably. I think I will like them!


AntiM so what are you planning to use for nighttime goggles? The stealth ones would be too dark right? I'm thinking they would work for me, and I may do the old-glasses-lens thingie to them but what about night for us small-headed, glasses-needing folks?


There's less dust at night. Less being a relative term, and sometimes you do need the eyewear. I'm quite near-sighted, so I got a pair pf prescription work glasses/ sport goggles. Pricey and I look like a dork in them. No offense, Dork. But you can get clear goggles which fit over glasses, I just haven't found ones which fit my face.

Most of the time I view the playa in soft focus.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17678
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests