your opinion if these boots are suitable for the playa

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm

They are still wearable but anywhere there is a indentation is still filled with ingrained playa.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby convenientlust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:23 pm

So mine will get pretty bad. There are creases and indentations all over them.
convenientlust

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:26 pm

Its up to you if you bring them or not. For me they are the preferred shoe and I also randomly wander around barefoot from time to time as well so maybe I am not the best person to be giving advice ;)
ragabashpup

Postby convenientlust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Ahah, more power to you. I don't think I'd have the guts to go barefoot. I do appreciate your advice though.
convenientlust

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:32 pm

I have super callosed feet and I wash them off after doing so. No playa foot yet though. I did end up with a super nasty sunburn in 06 though so keep sunscreen with you everwhere you go.
ragabashpup

Postby convenientlust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:38 pm

Yerp, not trying to get a sunburn. I'm one of those people that think I can go without sunscreen because I don't usually burn, but I'm SOO not trying that in the desert.
convenientlust

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:18 am

C.f.M. wrote:Image

AND THEN THIS ?

changoloco wrote:I don't know why but, I just detest boots like that. I can guarantee you this, if you wear those boots you will fit right in with all the other uber-hip, fashion-slaves from LA that are out there..

I can guarantee you this, if you wear boots like that, you can lick your eyebrows with your tounge and spit blood upon command.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:00 am

The boots I wore most of the time were name-brand Docs. No problems zipping or lacing - the zippers a little sticky, now, and I think it's playa dust, but never has not worked.

I went barefoot whenever I was in camp - or not going very far away - and didn't change socks 20 times a day, or do anything to my feet other than let the shower water fall on them when I took a shower.

No problems.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:27 am

I live in Utah, which is pretty dry. In winter my heels crack if I don't take care of them, in the heated house. So while I do get my toes in the dust now and then on the playa, I keep socks on while I'm out of the tent. I think foot care and playa foot have a lot to do with how your feet are already, body chemistry, and home environment.

We keep slip on shoes or sandals in camp because we don't want to fiddle with boots when headed to the potty or hanging out with neighbors.

Gold Bond Foot Cream is wonderful, and I have all sorts of heel creams.

Melted ice water from your cooler is great for foot baths, but let it warm up first!
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:27 am

Why, oh why, do I read the shoe threads?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:41 am

could it be, the same, as a person hitting their fingers repeatedly with a hammer?

because, it feels so good when you stop?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trystanthegypsy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:46 am

they are AWESOME but the one thing i really regretted about wearing my 4" platforms was not the bike (its not that hard just put your seat up) but the fact that I didn't climb on things! The giant spinning butterfly statue, stripper poles, domes, even getting on and off art cars is hard.

If you are not so inclined to climb on things, or happy to take a day where you do not climb, then they are perfect.

For me I kicked myself (haha) several times for wearing them when I ran into something interesting I just HAD to scale. But i think I am half monkey because whenever I see something interesting, I just want to climb on top of it. (that's what she said!!!!)
trystanthegypsy

Re: your opinion if these boots are suitable for the playa

Postby SnowBlind » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:51 pm

convenientlust wrote:While reading the guides on what to wear, I heard that boots with a zipper may accumulate playa dust.

I had some issues with the zippers on my tent a few years ago. They just got to the point where they were almost impossible to open and close. IBDave gave me a bicycle chain lube for it. It worked awesome. If you are concerned about the dust on the zipper, you might apply it before you go.

The name of it is White Lightning Clean Ride: http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/index.htm
SnowBlind

Re: your opinion if these boots are suitable for the playa

Postby Rommel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:49 pm

[quote="SnowBlind"][quote="convenientlust"]While reading the guides on what to wear, I heard that boots with a zipper may accumulate playa dust. [/quote]

I had some issues with the zippers on my tent a few years ago. They just got to the point where they were almost impossible to open and close. IBDave gave me a bicycle chain lube for it. It worked awesome. If you are concerned about the dust on the zipper, you might apply it before you go.

The name of it is White Lightning Clean Ride: [url]http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/index.htm[/url][/quote]

WD40 makes a pen, which is much easier to apply directly to the zipper,
and not have to worry about collateral damage to your tent, sleeping bag, eta.
Rommel

Autoritär für Gigsicherheit
'oderint dum metuant'
Rommel

Postby convenientlust » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:29 pm

awesome, thanks for the help : )
convenientlust

Postby clerkkent » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:01 pm

I have boots like the original post, and have taken them with me to the playa. I only wear them if I know I'm only going for a casual stroll around the playa, and then I double up on socks. If I think I'm going to be dancing, or chasing after a mutant vehicle for a ride, I don't wear them. And biking in them is doable, but not my preference, especially with the dunes and ruts out there.
clerkkent

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear