your opinion if these boots are suitable for the playa

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

your opinion if these boots are suitable for the playa

Postby convenientlust » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:15 pm

Hey,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions about whether my boots would be suitable for the playa or not.

They have a 6" inch heel and they're faux leather.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1q24op.jpg

While reading the guides on what to wear, I heard that boots with a zipper may accumulate playa dust. Plus, they have lace ties which may gather dust as well. I wasn't sure if it would be a problem if I wore knee socks with them.

Any opinions? I don't want to get playa foot on my first burn.

Thanks!
convenientlust

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:26 pm

I wear cow boy boots and skate shoes and never get playa foot. I do change my socks at least once a day and put lotion on if my feet feel dry.

The only detractor I see with those boots is that it might be difficult to walk several miles a night in them. Walking long distances is common at the burn.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby convenientlust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:06 am

Haha, that's actually the only problem I don't see in wearing the boots. I'm very used to them. The wedge makes them alot easier to trek in. I anticipate walking around and exploring as much as I can.. but I'm more concerned with dust getting in them. I don't exactly know how bad the playa dust is...... but I am bring a pair of flat boots and sneakers with me too.
convenientlust

Postby [SpaceBoy] » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 am

the dust is fine, and it will get everywhere.

ive never had problems with zippers, but i think the only thing i own that has zippers i s my cut off jeans, and i hardly wear those, usually only on set up and tear down days.

the best way ive found to try out my costumes is to walk around in them, take them around the block (you may have to wait till its pretty dark, depending) but then you will get a feel for anything that might cause you a discomfort when you get on the playa. the worst thing is to have limited wardrobe and everything left is uncomfortable
[SpaceBoy]

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:51 am

I have boots kinda like that, and MyLarry has many, many boots. Walking? They're alright. I don't walk a lot anymore, arthritis in the feet, so I can wear decorative shoes and not worry too much.

Dust issues: Dust will get into the zippers and laces and you can't ever be rid of traces of it, no matter how well you clean them when you return. The zippers can be kept in working condition on the playa if you keep a spare toothbrush in camp and clean them out now and then. Don't leave the zippers down when you're not wearing the boots. I have a woodless graphite pencil we use to lubricate zippers. We have a boot bin for clean boots and shoes coming in, and if boots are left out, fold over the tops or stuff something down in them so they don't fill with dust during a whiteout. Do not let dusty footed visitors try on your boots without socks (grrr).

Dust will not seep through the zippers and laces while you're wearing them, at least, not too much.

when you're out and about, toss a light pair of sandals in your pack so you can change if the boots get to be too much for you.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:07 am

I wouldn't wear them because of the heel (though I own several similar pairs IRL).

Walking, walking and more walking, the more comfortable the shoes the better.

I was barefoot, @ camp then a stylin' pair of glow-in-the-dark skeleton boots for wandering.

However, I will say, by Friday night, they wouldn't fit. They were giving me terrible blisters, too. I don't know what was making my feet swell, but I had to switch to a different pair of shoes (much less cool looking :cry: ).
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby pinemom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:22 am

Alcohol makes your hands and feet swell....
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:30 am

pinemom wrote:Alcohol makes your hands and feet swell....

Actually was staying waaaay more sober (as in...actually sober...) out there. Been lotsa drunk lotsa time, never had my shoes not fit. :wink:
C.f.M.

Postby pinemom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:34 am

......also High elevation and mass quantities of walks!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 am

pinemom wrote:......also High elevation and mass quantities of walks!

Yup, that's what we figured, all the walking.

It was also a pain to bike it, in my platforms.
C.f.M.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 am

Aren't your USMC issue combat boots sexy enough?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby phil » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 am

Bring alternatives, just as you do for all your vital gear.
phil

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:24 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRkovnss7sg[/youtube]
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:58 pm

C.f.M.

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:58 pm

C.f.M.

Postby LostinReno » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Those are bad-ass!!! :D
LostinReno

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:19 pm

I wear mine (like the op's) on a few nights. Walk and biked all over while wearing them and no problem.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby changoloco » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:35 pm

I don't know why but, I just detest boots like that. I can guarantee you this, if you wear those boots you will fit right in with all the other uber-hip, fashion-slaves from LA that are out there. Plain and simple, wear what you feel comfortable in and you will have no problem. If you are concerned about playa foot, follow these suggestions. Whenever you change shoes/socks, soak your feet in a bath of 20 parts water, 1 part vinegar. The vinegar neutralizes the alkaline in the playa. Follow the bath with a nice foot creme/moisterizer. If you do this simple step at least once a day, you will not have a problem with playa foot. As far as dust getting in the zippers and laces, you cannot control that, it will happen. I hope this was helpful, I was trying not to be overly snarky.
Live the life you love, Love the life you live
changoloco

Postby convenientlust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate the advice.

I am very comfortable walking long distances in them. But now I am reconsidering wearing them because of the biking aspect. Bounce, you had similar ones to mine? And you were able to bike in them?

Changoloco, I feel no need to fit in with the "uber-hip, fashion slaves" as you put it, but I do like boots that give me a little heel because I'm a half an inch under 5 feet tall. But don't worry, you're comment wasn't snarky. The middle and down were helpful :) . Thanks.

CFM, those boot are badass!

AntiM, I've heard not to wear sandals... ?

Once again, thanks everyone!
convenientlust

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:05 pm

:D
What they said, and then add a couple more pairs of roomy comfortable shoes. And twice as many pairs of socks as you had planned.

If you have calluses on your heels, sand them off a couple of weeks beforehand, so they don't crack while you are on the Playa.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:09 pm

convenientlust wrote:Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate the advice.

I am very comfortable walking long distances in them. But now I am reconsidering wearing them because of the biking aspect. Bounce, you had similar ones to mine? And you were able to bike in them?

Changoloco, I feel no need to fit in with the "uber-hip, fashion slaves" as you put it, but I do like boots that give me a little heel because I'm a half an inch under 5 feet tall. But don't worry, you're comment wasn't snarky. The middle and down were helpful :) . Thanks.

CFM, those boot are badass!

AntiM, I've heard not to wear sandals... ?

Once again, thanks everyone!

The problem I had with my platforms (one big 6" heel, like those boots) was just the general way it reshaped my body on the bike and...I forget what else. Except that I could not wait to get them off.

Another factor would be weight - as in, the weight of the shoes. Though I've run, walked, danced and...other things in my boots, I just wouldn't bother taking them to the playa.

But plenty of people wear them, they're much easier to walk in than one would think, from looking at them (who hasn't tried it).

I've got a pair of these

My sneakers I wore there are kinda like these

but the platform goes straight across.
C.f.M.

Postby convenientlust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:19 pm

CFM, I'll give you that.. my boots are pretty heavy. I think I'll have to practice riding my bike in them and that can be the deciding factor. I like the boots you have and those sneakers do look pretty comfortable because of the flat wedge.

And thanks Elliot, I will probably be bringing 4 pairs of sock for each day. Can't be too prepared!
convenientlust

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:24 pm

convenientlust wrote: Bounce, you had similar ones to mine? And you were able to bike in them?

Yep, the only difference is mine have buckles over the laces all the way up. The only prob I had while biking with them on was the arch side of the boots got scratched from the bike crank.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby convenientlust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:45 pm

True, good looking out... thanks!
convenientlust

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Sandals are alright for short term, and some types are good with socks. If you're out in your boots and your feet act up, you can switch to something lightweight until you are able to switch to more comfy foot gear.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elorrum » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 pm

a comment about shoelaces. The dust makes things sticky that would normally be slippy (like shoelaces when you pull them to tighten.) Shoes that have the fabric loops instead of eyelets for the laces are just nuts to try to tighten. I never heard my shoes make sounds like a horror movie door before. squeeeeeeeak! I'm thinking there would be a tremendous amount of playa dust friction in those lace up boots. Some of what I bring is practical, some is ridiculous, you need to find the right balance for you.
Elorrum

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:32 pm

My laces on my docs are still really difficult to lace up so those are my special playa docs now.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby convenientlust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:04 pm

I was thinking about bringing my Docs, but I thought they would collect more dust than the ones in question.

Docs are suitable for the playa?

http://sc7img.dillards.com/is/image/Dil ... IKJUYpIG06
convenientlust

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 pm

So yes those docs. Erm well yes they work fine for the playa and I am sure if you acutally clean them up and take care of them they recover fine. I never acutally did so because I wanted them to have that playa worn look to add to my ridiculous collection that I have.
They are the only shoe I am addicted too..its a really unhealthy expensive habit.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby convenientlust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Haha, I totally agree. I love Docs but for the cost, I'll stick with just having one pair. And mine are no where close to the condition the picture shows. Many mosh pits took a toll on them so I wouldn't really care if they got wrecked.... to a certain extent of course.
convenientlust

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear