Glasses

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:38 am

Stickygreen wrote:theCryptofishist - try them on ?

thats the only way.

It's the only thing that's ever worked for me. I'm just curious as to how it works on line.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DoriumLux » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:24 am

theCryptofishist wrote:

thats the only way.

It's the only thing that's ever worked for me. I'm just curious as to how it works on line.

My beau just measures his glasses (nose piece, width) etc and orders. He isn't a fashionista either so he doesn't much care how they look. He just wants to make sure they fit. They have pull down menu measurements for this on their site.
DoriumLux

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:50 am

I also wear my contacts until they rip.

I have two pairs of glasses already (one for traveling/camping), so I'll bring both, and keep the "good" pair in the car, for the ride there and back.

I'm thinking I'll bring a pair of contacts for each day, just in case...that's what someone recommended. But she has money I do not have, so...anyways.

I am quite near-sighted, and have no peripheral vision, when I wear glasses, and don't see as well at night, so just wearing my glasses isn't much of an option.

Not to mention it won't go with my outfits.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:25 am

as I change out my contacts monthly, I save the old ones, in preservative/cleaner, for the whole year, and, bring all the old pairs with me. then, I change each day and throw the old ones away.......
worked very well for me last year.......
it's almost impossible to get them clean once you've been in the dust all day.......even rinsing seems to leave a film of dust......
so, for me at least, changing works best......and, no extra cost since I'da thrown them away anyway.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby impish » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:52 am

theCryptofishist wrote:

thats the only way.

I go to the expensive trendy shops and try on glasses. Then get online and find what I want cheaper. I use the measurements off my most comfortable glasses to narrow down the online options.

I'm going to get some prescription shades off Global Eyeglasses, and possibly a spare pair of less tinted for night use. Maybe even honest to goodness rose-tinted spectacles.

As long as you flirt with the staff or at least aren't obnoxious/impede the actual paying customers, I see no problem with borrowing their merchandise briefly to see what compliments your skull.

Thanks for the links!!
"Some temptations are so great it takes great courage to yield to them." --Oscar Wilde
impish

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:16 pm

I had to rip out my contacts on the first day. Wore my damn spectacles all through the rest of the event.

Note to self: Don't use Oasys lenses.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:37 pm

I wore the same pair of contacts the whole time (took them out at night). They're Oasys. Apparently they're the most breathable, or whatever...I tried one pair, that alleges you can wear them 30 days/nights straight, but could barely tolerate them for a day.

I tried to wear my glasses, but without goggles over them, couldn't see well (in the dust storming).
C.f.M.

Postby teardropper » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:01 am

I wear glasses, titanium frame hingeless, frameless that are pretty durable, considering for how fragile they look and they did pretty good till Saturday. Put my goggles on over them and somehow broke a bow. Not so durable. I will still wear my glasses but am due for new goggles. Playa is hard on lenses and frames and goggles and, yes, eyes. I plan on improving my system, not abandoning all because I broke something. I broke and ruined a lot of stuff. Reevaluate, and get better.
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:05 am

I never got clean enough - except for a few brief seconds after a shower - to risk putting in contacts.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 am

So i finally got some contacts...so far they are a bit of a pain in the ass but i suppose ill get used to it.

For those of you that wear contacts out there and take em out at night, how do you wash yer hands? Hopefully it will work out where keeping them in for a week straight wont be an issue....hell I already slept in them the first night with no problems
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby ygmir » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 am

I wear contacts.....and, have found it impossible to get my hands clean enough, to not have "playa film" on my contacts once I touch them......and, to get it off of the ones I've worn all day......

my solution has been to save contacts all year, in storage solution, and, then, change them each day..........unless you can leave them in for a few days......but, make sure to use plenty of eye drops....

it seems they get coated with playa dust and, even when I wash them, it's still there, and, an irritant....so, a "new" pair, and, super clean hands, minimizes the dust in your eyes and under the lens......

my eyes still looked like they were bleeding by the end of 12 days out there, though.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby phil » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:02 am

I wear hard contacts, and I've always worn them on the playa. The old military surplus goggles work well for me in dust storms with my contacts in, and I also bring my back up glasses and wear them when it's a day-long storm. To each his own. Till you've been out there, you won't know how your eyes will handle the dryness and the playa powder.

I've been able to maintain clean hands long enough to get my contacts in, and I don't wear them from rising until bed time - I do switch to my glasses at night to get some rest and tearing going.

I don't know about the month-wear Oasys lenses. Mine are the regular hard, semi-permeable ones that last for years - basically till I lose one or my prescription changes.
phil

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:09 am

Ygmir, i read your strat up further, where you just save the old ones for the burn, I think ill end up doing this that way there is no problem if they get lost or whatever.

Phil - I couldn't imagine hard contacts...youch
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Re: Glasses

Postby Here and there » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:06 am

fatal_GRACE wrote: I think glasses would be fairly easy to lose or break, not to mention getting in the way of goggles (I could go without, but I like being able to see).

So, any suggestions on how to keep glasses safe and secure beyond simple measures like straps?

Ultra-simple ... maybe. If you're in the right place.

Chemists have to wear goggles on the job. A fair number of them wear glasses, and must have goggles that will fit over their glasses, for safety reasons. A chemical supply store might be able to sell you such goggles, or put you in touch with somebody who can, because this is something that they're going to be asked about, frequently. Or you could drop by the Chemistry department, if any colleges or universities are found in your area.
Here and there

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:40 am

[quote="Simon of the Playa"]well here's the rub, no pun intended...I wear my contacts for MONTHS at a time...I sleep in them, i NEVER take them out or clean them, or change them for that matter until they rip.[/quote]

Wow, glad that's worked for you so far, Simon, but I wouldn't recommend it as a practice. I know TWO people who lost the vision in one eye due to amoebic infections that were growing out of control under their extended-wear contact lenses. It's hard to kill amoebas.

I wear my soft contacts until they rip, too, usually. But my optometrist said he could TELL that I was a contact lens wearer because there were a bunch of extra surface capillary blood vessels that had grown because not enough oxygen was getting to my corneas. And I take my lenses out each night! Now I try to leave them out one weekend day each week. But you may be doing damage that you can't see or feel.
Bling

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:46 am

Fire_Moose wrote:For those of you that wear contacts out there and take em out at night, how do you wash yer hands? Hopefully it will work out where keeping them in for a week straight wont be an issue....hell I already slept in them the first night with no problems

Soap and water.

I don't wash my whole hand, just the tips of the thumb and forefinger, that actually touch the contact/my eye. Or I just squirt some saline on them.
C.f.M.

Postby TomServo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:18 pm

Geeze! Is everyone here blind? I've gone over a week wearing contacts, and developed a stye...which is uncomfortable, and kinda nasty when it starts to leak. I save old disposables, since not having any really sucks! If it came to it, id set up a cheap tent, simply for taking out contacts...it hasn't come to that yet. Contacts do ok out their..so long as you use good eye protection...ie..cutting goggles.

Glasses? Id be worried about the fine playa dust dulling the lenses everytime you clean them...unless you can use water, without rusting the hinges.

P.s. C.f.M. love your makeup! Reminds me of Demanda Riot. A scary fucking roller girl. I've seen her knock other roller girls off their feet. She's brutal.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:29 pm

As far as washing hands, we have an RV, so it's a bit different from a tent that way. We found some giant babywipes at Walgreens that we're planning to use for washing up, and I'm sure they'll do fine for handwashing to put contacts in. We were planning on probably buying an extra box for each eye for each of us, so we each have 6 pairs of lenses.
Bling

Postby brigitami » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:31 pm

I've always worn my soft extended wear contacts on playa...but never never take them out.....I just keep a little bottle of saline on the belt and douse douse douse. i took them out one time to clean (washed hands, inside car) and yep, the dust got in somehow and bugged for the rest of the week.

This year i would like to try the glasses but I HAVE to have goggles. Here's my question---I happen to have 2 old pairs that's frames are absolutely demolished......has anyone ever tried to put old lenses into an existing pair of goggles? I don't want to take my everyday pair out there because I need them to see here......but if it seems like too much trouble/cost i might take the advice of geting a cheap pair and then goggles that fit over.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heather the Goat
Campoline---going Hobo for 2010
8:30 & portapotty

"If you are not sure if its portapotty safe then just eat the MOOP"
brigitami

Postby TomServo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:39 pm

Id stick with contacts. If you have a welding supply store in your area, check out their cutting goggles. The older style have removable lenses. In other words, you can change tint. They are the ones with the circle lenses.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby teardropper » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:49 pm

What you want are motocross goggles. They are made for dust and some are for glasses, OTG. But you can find them specifically for the dust, cost $24 for Smith, $44 for Scot. Not all goggles, especially snow goggles, will work for dust. If they have fog proof ventilation they may have holes or foam vent too large to trap it. I learned the hard way.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby epic_elite » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:27 pm

you know...

ive only been once. Both me AND a campmates sunglasses cracked... while we where wearing them. no impact. just suddenly...

the heat???

has any one had this happen to them?

but yeah, as already mentioned... you CAN get prescription goggles. with the minimal amount of use someone would get out of these, it might not hurt just to have a pain laying around. I imagine i could make something like that last for a decade or so. and i live near the ocean and love to swim.
epic_elite

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:36 pm

mine did, as I was chasing a parked art car.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear