Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Costume & Crafting Help

Postby EmilyD » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:33 am

Is anyone planning costumes for a Decompression event?
EmilyD

Postby Ratty » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Wearing, YES. Making, NO. I'm gonna look for a special old one and be a greeter at the S.F. Decom. Next Sunday. WooHooo.

Have you checked out the L.A. Decom. I'm so jealous. It goes till 6AM. (And the San Diego one goes for 3 days.)
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby ambird » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:50 pm

EmilyD wrote:Is anyone planning costumes for a Decompression event?

I've been thinking about this... but since I haven't started yet and SF Decom is on Sunday, it's probably too late!

I'll probably wear something I loved wearing on the playa. I didn't really have any costumes, more like outfits.

I have been using my new button machine to make a bunch of buttons to gift this weekend, though! And I've been making a list of new clothing-related things I want to try crafting for next year; I'm particularly excited about experimenting with large grommets.
ambird

Burning Since: 2011

Postby illy dilly » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:16 am

EmilyD wrote:Is anyone planning costumes for a Decompression event?

Not exactly Decompression events, but non-Bman related raves here in Denver.
All my light up clothes pretty much get second handed at the raves all year, then I build newer better light clothes for Burning Man.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:26 am

Just finished sewing a Black Bear scoodie for Watah. Have a leopard in the works next, and then will probably go through my fur and make some less realistic critters.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Ratty » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 pm

[list=][/list]

Sf decom was great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ratty

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:55 am

I am looking to sew up a messenger style bag in fabric. Does anyone know of a way to make it retain its shape or to stiffen the sides?
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:25 am

Drawingablank wrote:I am looking to sew up a messenger style bag in fabric. Does anyone know of a way to make it retain its shape or to stiffen the sides?

cardboard car headliner stock, or leather
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:23 am

EspressoDude wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:I am looking to sew up a messenger style bag in fabric. Does anyone know of a way to make it retain its shape or to stiffen the sides?

cardboard car headliner stock, or leather

I may end up just making it in leather, but I was sorta hoping for a lighter solution. I may experiment with some heavy cardboard too. I'm thinking bristol board may be stiff enough without being bulky. Off to the fabric store later to see if they have any sew in or iron in stiffeners that are up to the task as well.

Drawingablank

Postby DanusLight » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:59 am

Buckram?
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:00 pm

DanusLight wrote:

Buckram?

Hmm, I will look into that too. It was such a zoo at the fabric store last trip that I just left.

Drawingablank

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Isn't that what interfacing is for?
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:04 am

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Isn't that what interfacing is for?

I have never seen interfacing rigid enough, although I have never looked for it so they may make it.

I am working on getting a sample of buckram to try, and will look for heavier interfacing after Halloween. When I was at the fabric store last weekend it was impossible to find anything because the pile of yard goods bolts waiting to be put back in stock was about 6 feet high.

Drawingablank

Postby SquirrelHead » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:41 am

I am sitting around with 1/2 made lazy pants (PJs) because I broke a part on my machine when I was making that jacket. I have taken a class to learn to read patterns and sew a pillow and there pants but until I get the new needle plate arrives (hopefully today) I am stuck in the mud. I found some fun fabric on sale so once I am up and going again I have a few projects in mind. I have learned that fabric is not cheap.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:12 am

SquirrelHead wrote:I am sitting around with 1/2 made lazy pants (PJs) because I broke a part on my machine when I was making that jacket. I have taken a class to learn to read patterns and sew a pillow and there pants but until I get the new needle plate arrives (hopefully today) I am stuck in the mud. I found some fun fabric on sale so once I am up and going again I have a few projects in mind. I have learned that fabric is not cheap.

Our size makes everything we sew more expensive lol. I was looking for some cotton in cool patterns to make some lounging pants for day time playa wear and almost choked when they rang it up.

For night time playa wear, flannel and fleece are warmer, softer / more comfy, and far less expensive than many of the quilters cotton prints. Picked up some last week at 60% off.

Drawingablank

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:14 am

Interesting stuff does show up at thrift stores and garage sales. And of course, Ratty offered us a few ideas on finding cheaper fabric.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby SquirrelHead » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 am

OK, what is the difference with quilter fabric? I am trying to figure out all of these different types of fabric and it can become mind numbing in a hurry.

Fishy,
Good call on the thrift stores and garage sales. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for those. I need to go back and read Ratty's suggestions again.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:02 am

SquirrelHead wrote:OK, what is the difference with quilter fabric? I am trying to figure out all of these different types of fabric and it can become mind numbing in a hurry.

Fishy,
Good call on the thrift stores and garage sales. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for those. I need to go back and read Ratty's suggestions again.

Quilters cottons are sorta "designer prints" that generally go for about 10.00 a yard and rarely get more than a 30% off sale. Other cottons are generally cheaper, but either solid color or prints that are less interesting (at least to me).

I work a lot with flannels which are also 100% cotton but fuzzy to the touch. Flannels are available in solids, what they call tie dye, and prints as well however most flannel prints are in juvenile patterns.

Also if you are mixing cottons with synthetic fabrics (such as linings for furs or brocades) it is a good idea to prewash / preshrink the cotton so it doesn't cause problems when the garment is washed.

I have no luck with thrift stores around here - their prices are almost as expensive as buying new. Your mileage may vary.

Drawingablank

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:54 pm

Hyrculon appolstery fabric is pretty stiff and will wear like iron.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Need Help Finding this Material

Postby SallyThunderCunt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Hey crafty friends!

There's this amazing material I've seen many Burners (and drag queens, actually) wearing, usually in the form of bodysuits, and I am DYING to make something out of it, but I have not yet been able to find out what the material is *called*, or where to get it. It's usually been metallic when I've seen it, with large, open holes that are kind of rough around the edges of each hole. It appears to be stretchy & spandexy.

Wait, here's a pic of this stuff. I *NEED* to make a bodysuit like this girl's: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/418 ... e83ae1.jpg

If anyone knows what this stuff is called, and can point me to some chains or websites that sell it, I'd be eternally grateful. :D

Oh yah, and any idea where to find instructions for making a bodysuit? I've never attempted this particular project, so I need some help.
SallyThunderCunt

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Fabulous Disaster

Postby Ratty » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:20 pm

When you need spandex go to....Spandexworld.com the sourse of stretch spandex. Search their site under metalic and look for laser cut or diamond cut.
Ratty

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:23 am

Laser-cut metallic spandex at distinctive fabrics dot com:

Comes in 9 colors. Burner-friendly company.

If you have never made a body suit you may have trouble visualizing how the pieces fit together and what size they should be. Bobbin would tell you to buy some cheap fabric *with the same stretch profile* and try your pattern on that. Yes that means making it twice. Personally I would find a cheap or cheap-ish body suit that fits me, slit it along the seams and use that as a pattern.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Ratty » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Yes. That's a great idea. Then you could cut away an inch or two and lace it up again. Then you'd have two body suits. The original one that would now be a peek-a-boo and your new metalic creation. You could pant the original one with bones. (I'm partial to skeleton outfits). Or have someone paint it while you are wearing it. Sure, you'll get a little painted but it washes off. Great past time for a hot day.

Oh, and I LOVE your avatar.
Ratty

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 pm

(Anybody else think that Ratty would have been a fun mom to have? Hey kids, let's paint bones on our clothes! was an invitation sadly lacking from my childhood...)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Ratty » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Oh I wish they hadn't hated me for the first 18 years of their life. I have been a constant source of embarrassment to my little darlings. NOW they understand. Of course we have manikins in our front room. The soap holder is a troll and the phone is shaped like a ketchup bottle. Their houses are starting to look like Pee Wees playhouse too. Giant shoes, leopard print bath sets and a stack of hard hats in the corner. Life is good.

Every year we went to the Renascence Fair. Usually more than once. My daughter dressed all in white with a flowered headband. My son dressed in rags. Me in street clothes. (So they wouldn't guess I was with them.) My son would beg. Cuss at people that wouldn't give him money, (A pox on your family etc...), and sell his 'virgin' sister over and over again for $1. She would let them kiss her hand and then on to the next mark. We ate, we drank, we laughed. We bought hair ribbons and played all the silly games. My son spent alot of money on kissing the wenches. We aren't evil. Really. I'm not really a pimp. Am I?
Ratty

Postby wh..sh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Ratty wrote:Every year we went to the Renascence Fair. Usually more than once. My daughter dressed all in white with a flowered headband. My son dressed in rags. Me in street clothes. (So they wouldn't guess I was with them.) My son would beg. Cuss at people that wouldn't give him money, (A pox on your family etc...), and sell his 'virgin' sister over and over again for $1. She would let them kiss her hand and then on to the next mark. We ate, we drank, we laughed. We bought hair ribbons and played all the silly games. My son spent alot of money on kissing the wenches. We aren't evil. Really. I'm not really a pimp. Am I?

:lol: :lol: Oh my...
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby moonrise » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 am

Nah, sounds like you taught them well. :wink:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Ratty, that's hysterical. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ratty » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:40 pm

I did teach lots of important skills. Like how to camp in Big Sur all summer for free. How to iron. Comet is the best cleanser etc...
Ratty

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:48 pm

I hope you're not second-guessing telling that story, 'cause I sense you're an AWESOME Mom, Ratty (and I'm glad your kids are past being snots). :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear