computor use

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

computor use

Postby tatonka » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:19 am

Im looking to use a PC or laptop with Wifi for about 20 min. on the playa . I was laid off a couple off weeks ago , but start a new job sept 9th. So I need it to fill out my unemployment search ( of coarse I will look for a sheetmetal shop to work at at BRC ) :)
Been looking for a easy way ,instead of me buying a laptop with WIFi , or Installing a wifi card in my PC ,and bringing it down there.
Any ideas?
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Re: computor use

Postby lucky420 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:25 am

Can you use a smart phone?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby jkisha » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:26 am

lucky420 wrote:Can you use a smart phone?

Like minds.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:33 am

Tatonka I'm at "Got Sparkle" right next to Berlin ranger station. I seriously doubt there will be wifi or cell service but I'll have a computer that can connect to internet via wifi or cell signal, if either is available. We can try it. If there's wifi to be had anywhere and we need to get closer to it we can go there on the boat. I missed BM last year due to new job, I know how important it is to have gainful employment! Without it we couldn't do all this!
Last edited by Captain Goddammit on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:35 am

usually, there are some "private" uplinks and such, folks out there have......but you gotta ask around. It can happen, though.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 am

There are several threads on this. Best choice is to have someone in the outside world file for you. Next best bring a laptop with WiFi into Gerlach on the shuttle for an hour. It is often possible to get WiFi at Playa Info. Bring a laptop you can afford to be destroyed by the dust, lost or stolen, backed up, of course.

The event definitely teaches things that are useful in the job world!

But it is a wilderness and not set up for Internet, phone voice or data connectivity.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:54 am

From what I understand, try early in the morning... that seems to be the best possible time.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby otakup0pe » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:55 am

The city provides a network connection to camps that want it. It seems like more camps may be offering hotspots this year. If you feel like hunting (just look for people walking into things while checking their cell phones) then you can probably find a WiFi.
otakup0pe

Postby Rice » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 am

otakup0pe wrote:The city provides a network connection to camps that want it. It seems like more camps may be offering hotspots this year. If you feel like hunting (just look for people walking into things while checking their cell phones) then you can probably find a WiFi.

"The City"?? I know that some years, there is sometimes a WiFi signal in centre camp. Sometimes in the early morning (like 4AM) you can both get a signal and actually get some sort of functioning internet connection. Sometimes...

I do know for sure that BM LLC does provide some internet connectivity for staff. but once the gates open that service is greatly limited and cannot be guaranteed (first hand experience in the lack of speed -- aka worse than dial-up).

The only way anyone is guaranteed internet on the playa is to bring their own uplink. Going in Gerlach is a pretty easy way to get functioning internet that will actually work.

YMMV
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby otakup0pe » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah camps still need to bring their own kit to tap into the BRC network. I think this year the org it crew only needs to get involved if you need public ips or whatever. Getting your satellite stuff is expensive but a better guarantee.

For the op going into gerlach or war biking until they find a decent network is certainly the safest bet. Center camp has wifi but it's always super sketchy.
otakup0pe

Postby tatonka » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:39 pm

thks all , will ask my son if he could for me.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Return to Power & Illumination