Dome & Hexayurt Lighting - Last Minute Ideas Needed!!

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Dome & Hexayurt Lighting - Last Minute Ideas Needed!!

Postby shimgotit » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:14 pm

I built a dome for the playa last year and at night while I was either drunk or tripping (or even sober lol) it was really hard to see using only a flashlight. Id like to devise a light I can hang from the ceiling of my 2V dome. (Also asking for a friend who is building a Hexayurt). Any ideas for low cost, low energy lighting I can use for the week?
shimgotit

Re: Dome & Hexayurt Lighting - Last Minute Ideas Needed!!

Postby percussivepaul » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Go simple -- get something with integrated batteries that runs on standard sizes. You can get strings of LEDs that run on AA batteries, and you can get LED-based camping lanterns that likely run on C or D cells (which you could maybe decorate with fabric or tissue paper to change the colour). Look on Amazon or in places like Target or Home Depot or outdoorsy stores.
percussivepaul

Re: Dome & Hexayurt Lighting - Last Minute Ideas Needed!!

Postby catfishpkt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Bit late for this year, but I'm planning on making a holder for each wall to hold solar lawn markers. In the morning I would put them in a bucket behind the yurt to charge and in the evening I would grab them and hang them inside. Haven't tested this so not sure how many would be needed or how effective it would be.
catfishpkt

Burning Since: 2014

Return to Power & Illumination