Parallel a Honda EU2000 with an EU3000?

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Parallel a Honda EU2000 with an EU3000?

Postby SuperBusTerror » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Various people around the Interwebs mumble that this is possible, and there is a video on youtube of a guy paralleling two EU2000s with one EU1000, but I can't find definitive instructions on how to parallel an EU3000 with an EU2000.

Yes, I know it will void the warranty, blah, blah, blah... I don't care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKam1o_3t_w

-- Aaron
SuperBusTerror

Re: Parallel a Honda EU2000 with an EU3000?

Postby CornMan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:28 pm

I didn't think it was possible to parallel two mismatched generators.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Yes you can do it, and I have done it myself many times and yes it works great.
You can simply make up a short extension cord with a male plug at each end; plug one end into each generator BEFORE STARTING THEM UP.
Then you can start/stop either or both sets as you wish.
I'll be paralleling two EU2000s with one EU3000 this year.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Moving this over to the Power and Illumination board, since that's a better fit for generator questions. The 2013 event boards are more for announcing camps/projects/vehicles, the Preparation board is more for project prep and problem-solving.

That said, +1 to what the Captain said.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:42 am

I'm not sure about the particulars of the Honda EU line of generators and how they sync up, but parallelized generators do need to be phase-matched or else their AC waveforms can interfere with each-other, wasting power or causing damage. Some generators can do it automatically if you hook them up right; if they don't, here's a guide on how to do it yourself if needed.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:25 am

Honda EU series generators do not need to be phase matched other than plugging them together prior to starting them up, they are designed to auto-sync for parallel operation. Cool, huh?!

Honda's parallel operation cables are unnecessary, the parallel operation ports are simply plugs on the front panel wired directly to the power outlets.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby BBadger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:43 am

You know, I was skeptical about those claims. So I did a little bit more reading on the subject, but I think you're right about the auto-parallelizing capability of the generators. They appear to do sampling of the waveform if they're connected to another power source, and sync up. It's probably cheaper and more robust for them to just add this capability to the entire power system anyway rather than some sort of specialized circuit found only at the parallel port interface. The higher rated generator will provide most of the current, but the lower-rated generator will help with the load as well.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:54 am

You are correct sir!
I've got three of them and have been doing it for over a decade.
I've found in actual practice that the different size EUs play well together and the smaller one contributes without overloading as you might worry it would.

Since we've buried the earlier post a little I'll say again, plug two (or more) EUs together FIRST, THEN start either or both at any time as you wish. Just don't connect them while they are already running.
And all you have to do is cut the female end of an extension cord off, install a male plug, then plug one set into the other.
And of course do not leave one end of such a cord unplugged and touch the exposed prongs - but if that's not obvious, you should just light your camp with a jar full of lightning bugs.
Captain Goddammit

Postby SuperBusTerror » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:30 am

Awesome-sauce! Thanks for the info.

So, could one theoretically connect, say, two eu2000s with an eu3000 in this manner?

-- Aaron
SuperBusTerror

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:01 am

Yes, I'll be doing exactly that. As I have beforee!
Captain Goddammit

Return to Power & Illumination