Wiring LED Floodlights in parallel with a honda 1000

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Wiring LED Floodlights in parallel with a honda 1000

Postby monsta2ownzu » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:57 pm

So my camp has expanded to 50 this year. We are very happy and on schedule with our build and have started putting finishing touches on our shade and other camp features. We are thinking of using these LED floodlights ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-10W- ... 257ef73e22 ) as cool colored lighting throughout our main common area. I just wondered if anyone could give me some pointers on lighting them up using a Honda 1000.

We used a few of these lights last year, we stuck a standard 2 prong plug on the end of the wire from each and plugged um into a power strip. This year we were thinking of wiring them all together into a long string of lights so we could better integrate them into the structure. A friend of mine told me if i just wired them all in parallel (there would be 14 on one strand and 10 on a second separate strand) that they would all work fine and that they would both be able to run simultaneously off of our small gennie.

Is my friend correct? I would like some other opinions before we decide to purchase the lights (which we got a banging deal on might I add :-D ) any and all help is very appreciated!
When all else fails ... plan for burning man.
monsta2ownzu

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Neighbourhood

Re: Wiring LED Floodlights in parallel with a honda 1000

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Friend is correct. You have 24 units at 10 watts each. You could put them all on the same line if you wanted to and still get by with lots of elbow room to spare using 16 gauge wire. Find some cheap extension cords and solder them up!

These things are flea power. The Honda may actually handle all of this at low revs in Eco Mode, which would be great for fuel economy.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Re: Wiring LED Floodlights in parallel with a honda 1000

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:51 pm

Yep, second opinion same as the first, LEDs are great, super low power draw. You won't have any trouble proceeding with your plan.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Return to Power & Illumination