1). Was the charger attached to (ie, powered by) a generator when you were charging the battery? Or an inverter?
2). Was the battery disconnected from all loads during the charging cycle?
To work properly this charger needs clean 60 hz / 120 volt power. Most portable non-inverter gensets have very poor frequency control and voltage regulation. They also HATE being fed square-wave or modified sine power. Assuming they work at all, they will get very hot, buzzy, and die in short order But most especially it must not "see" a load on the battery during charging or it will do what yours did: apparently not charge and get hot. .
These chargers really only have one achilles heel: the fan. After a few years it dies from bearing failure and the charger pops the overtemp fuse on the secondary. A new fan and fuse puts you back in business, but its way too early for that failure mode to be seen on yours.
But yeah... A generator is the way to go. Spend the bucks on a nice Honda or Yamaha now, and enjoy your burn later. Fiddling with electrics on the playa isnt for everyone.