Sound Equpiment

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Sound Equpiment

Postby alexcaste » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi - I am wondering if there any advice you can give me on helping equipment make it through the playa.

I am not as much concerned as the equipment surviving post-playa but just for the duration of the burn.

We are currently thinking of using a midi controller like a kontrol s2 or s4 which we are basically sacrificing to the elements. Mainly thought about this because of the lack of need for multiple items (mixer and cdjs all in one). However, if someone knows a better way to do cdj's then i'm game.

What can I do to protect the speakers?

What can I do to protect the laptop?

What can I do to protect the controller?

Any and all suggestions and rants and people telling me to stay off their grass are welcome.
alexcaste

Burning Since: 2010

Re: Sound Equpiment

Postby Rice » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Well, it is probably going to be very dusty... playa dust, which will get into everything. So, if possible seal it up so no dust can get near it (the dust is more like a powder, very very fine!!).

It will also get very hot during the day (over 30 C (86F+)) so, if you can - keep everything out of the sun! (Allow some air space between you shade and your equipment)

Bring some cans of compressed air to clear out the playa in anything that gets coated (blast out the cmpt cooling fans at least once a day)

If the equipment is not being used all the time, put it away in a sealed container to reduce dust exposure.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 am

Rice's tips are good.

For your laptop, while you can't help the ambient dust, but you should take efforts to prevent dust clouds, etc. from really pounding your gear. Also, after the burn, you need to go in and really blow out the dust from the heatsinks of your laptop. In fact, it might be a good idea to do that with the heatsinks anyway, even in normal use. For post-burn cleanup, I like using canned air and a vacuum cleaner to actively remove the dust that is blown off.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Token » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:21 am

And you should search the forum because this gets asked every year and the are dozens of discussions on the topic.

Everybody here loves people who know how to help themselves.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 am

Search is your friend.

For speakers, you may not need as large or expensive speakers as you think. A Chinese version of the self powered Mackie 3/450 or JBL Eon is essentially disposable. Since almost all speakers are ported the dust is going to get inside. You will never get it out of the dampening insulation. You do not want sun shining on them, since they are black.

Most laptops have fans. See if you can find a sealed convection cooled small machine. Then the keyboard, monitor and controller are the only sacrificial elements. Remember too, they are e-waste, dispose of properly.

Invest in a sound level meter and understand what it means. It will allow you to test speakers and not over pay for amplification.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 am

If you don't have the patience to browse topics in Power & Illumination (for AC & lighting) or the Q&A board (where a lot of sound gear discussions live), then try the search phrase PROTECT MIXER. A few good discussions with great info pop right up.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Habenero » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:57 am

So, I wanna cover my 11.5 ft radius dome and turn it in to a small bar. What kind of sound system would you guys suggest I would need to service a floor area of 368 sq.ft?
Habenero

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 am

Habenero wrote:So, I wanna cover my 11.5 ft radius dome and turn it in to a small bar. What kind of sound system would you guys suggest I would need to service a floor area of 368 sq.ft?

We got a $50 Logitech system for our larger sized camp (yes..WalMart). It works GREAT in the house...But, not playa tested...and at $50 it's disposable, if the dust is too much.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ridingnitro » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 am

Habenero wrote:So, I wanna cover my 11.5 ft radius dome and turn it in to a small bar. What kind of sound system would you guys suggest I would need to service a floor area of 368 sq.ft?

http://www.funktion-one.com/
ridingnitro

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: neXus

Postby Habenero » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 am

How many watts is your $50 Logitech system?
Habenero

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Depends on how many people you're expecting to be serving at any one time (and how enclosed you mean by covered), how loud you want it to be, and where in the city you're thinking of camping. Closer to Esplanade or the 2/10 spoke streets it gets loud. The further you get from those spaces, the less work you have to do.

So long as your idea of covering the dome means all around with a single entrance and you're not in a high traffic/wattage area, that's about the size of a small bedroom. Most bookshelf systems and even computer speaker setups would do a decent job there, and if you/your campmates don't have something to spare that you can bring out I imagine you could find something suitable for cheap. You also have plenty of time, so you can keep an eye out for sales (especially around June, electronics retailers get silly with dads/grads sales). Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Power & Illumination